Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Broke my PT111 G2 9mm, not even 200 rounds through it

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  PaulTaurus 
#1 ·
Not even 200 rounds through this pistol (PT111 G2 9mm) and this happens. My bro in law has had Taurus pistols for a long time and has never had any problems.
This was my 4th time shooting it and it has been cleaned every time it was taken out and shot. I've been around guns all my life so I know how to take care of them.

Was at the range and noticed a gritty feeling in that long initial trigger pull but didn't think anything of it.
About 20 or so shots with that gritty feeling and the gun won't fire anymore.
The trigger can be pulled all the way back but it will not engage the hammer/striker mechanism any more.
I can't get it to disassemble either because the hammer/striker is cocked and pulling the trigger won't allow it to 'de-cock' for disassembly.
I found a piece of metal on the shooting bench that I can only assume came out of the gun. I sent it in with the gun when I shipped it to Taurus.
After a week, a letter arrived saying that they have possession of the gun and it'll be up to 12 weeks for a fix or whatever.
Not very impressed with Taurus at the moment. But I'm not gonna go around bad mouthing them just because of one incident. I'll wait and see how things pan out. Hopefully it's just a hiccup with this particular gun and not a bad design. I haven't heard or read anything negative about the PT111's except for that very long trigger pull. Which doesn't bother me any.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Starting pistol

Plastic

Plastic

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, they fixed it and I had it back within 2 weeks. The paperwork that accompanied it upon return said that they replaced 2 parts (sorry I don't remember which ones) and they test fired 24 rounds (both magazines worth) through it without incident. As soon as I got it back I put another 24 rounds through it with no problems. That's all I've had time to shot with it but I may shot some more this weekend. If I have any more issues with it in the future I'll come back to this thread.

#5 · (Edited)
Over the years I've had to send some of my high dollar guns back to their manufactures for repairs including a Belgium made Browning Hi-Power, Springfield 1911 Loaded, SIG P-220 and GLOCK M-19.

The most frequently "broken" guns I've seen in Instructor Courses I've taught were S&W's, Colt's, Beretta's and GLOCK's.

The point I'm trying to make is anything man made can/will malfunction; regardless of their cost.

That's why there's Rolls-Royce and Rolex repair centers.

#6 ·
Shoot the G2 and enjoy it, crap happens sometimes.................
I just shot mine last weekend at the TaurusArmed event, now around 5200 trouble free rounds..................:)

Reactions: MOONDAWG
#7 ·
I don’t like hearing this stuff... worries me a bit. I’ve always leaned heavily toward steel pistols with decades of history. 🙂

I know, overthinking it.

Reactions: loudviking
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.