Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You would think I would have learned by now.

I was finishing up a run of .38's. Had about 1,100 loaded, and was winding down to switch over to .44 Mags.

Had 16 rounds to go to finish the last box. I encountered a high primer, which I could feel dragging under the shell plate. So I took out the preceeding rounds, and forced the press to cycle through. It got to the last position and stopped, so I jammed the handle.

Yup. Broke one of the pawls. Have to call Hornady tomorrow morning, and get a new one.

They have a ilefetime guarantee, so everything that I break is free, but it's a pain in the butt being on hold for 20 minutes. Not to mention the fact that I could have loaded those 16 rounds and moved right along if I weren't so damn impatient.

Seems like I never learn

·
Registered
612 Posts
I did the same stuff with my Lee LM.
Felt it seating weird but jammed it anyhow.. yep, broke the dang primer slider thingy.
thank goodness I had a spare.. Now its time to send the broken one in and buy another so I can have 3.

·
Registered
32,030 Posts
Gee, I knew who the author of this was before I saw his name. Rottiejake....is this your brother?

bio.jbtfsplk.jpg

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I used a LM for 12 years until I retired and went back to my love, single stage presses. I kept a hand full of both sizes of primer sliders on hand. I bought them a dozen at a time and kept a stock of the little return springs for the primer set also. I figured those parts were consumables and when they broke it was my fault. Good machine but I sure like having the time to do it "my way" now.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Love what an old mentor taught me as a kid. He was getting a stuck case out of a die I had pulled the rim off of. He said, " Anytime something doesn't feel right, stop, take a deep breath, go over what is happening in your mind. Take a few minutes to make things right before you have a real problem". Dumb me said and if I'm in a hurry? Him, " Then after you screw it up you will have plenty of time". That has been years ago and both sides of what he said still works. Applies to a lot of things. I'm finally old enough to be a lot better at the doing it right part. No excuse to be in a hurry.

·
Registered
27,453 Posts
On my Dillon you can release the pressure on the shell plate and get the offending case out at the next stage. :)

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On my Dillon you can release the pressure on the shell plate and get the offending case out at the next stage. :)
Absolutely. Same with the Hornady. Loosening the shell plate is the answer. I know that from experience, but do I practice it?.........NOPE

·
Registered
612 Posts
sure, you can stop and loosen the shell plate.. but what is the fun in that..

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Gee, I knew who the author of this was before I saw his name. Rottiejake....is this your brother?

View attachment 23276
FUNNY.........Going back about 45 years or so ago: I was dating my first wife, and her father owned a service station. I used to bring my car there to work on. When he saw the stuff I was constantly getting into, he nick-named me "Chief Black Cloud"..

Surprised he let me marry his daughter.................. In retrospect......Too bad ;)

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I use a single stage press as well. I can easly load 200 or 300 rounds in a single sitting with my single stage. I use a hand primer from RCBS that works great. After cleaning my brass I sort... then decap / resize / prime and expand the case mouth.. I through the sorted prepared brass into coffee cans until I'm ready to use.. then it's just powder and load the bullet... I have used other presses before.. I just prefer the single stage... it does all I need...

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Super Moderator
36,490 Posts
It reminds me of the old saying, If you don't have the time to do it right the first time, when will you ever find to the time to do it over?

·
Registered
32,030 Posts
It reminds me of the old saying, If you don't have the time to do it right the first time, when will you ever find to the time to do it over?

Geeze Czechbiker.....always with the positive waves! ;)

·
Super Moderator
36,490 Posts
I have to keep reminding myself of that mantra!

·
Registered
36,481 Posts
I have to keep reminding myself of that mantra!
well personally I think MAPS and MANUALS are for those that don't know squat myself!
try everything first, then as a last resort find and read!

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Impact maintenance does have its draw back sometimes! :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've been using an old Pacific single stage press for over 50 years and have loaded tens of thousands of rounds including a lot of military '06 and .308 brass that was fired in machine guns. I've never broken anything on that press. Not as fast as the progressives but very reliable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts