Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. The PT-1911AL should be at the top of that list.

2. The Gaucho in .45LC, or .44SPL

3. The .327 Federal magnum revolver, this time with a 4" barrel

4. The .32 H&R Magnum in its original 2" barreled snubnose form

5. The Model 450 Revolver (.45LC), this time with a 4" barrel

6. The Model 445 Revolver (.44SPL), this time with a 4" barrel

Different list of NEW models I would like to see:

1. Rossi R92 (all versions) in .327 Federal Magnum/.32 H&R Magnum

2. The Taurus Thunder in .327 Federal Magnum/.32 H&R Magnum

3. A new small, lightweight pistol caliber carbine made in Miami.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'd really like to see an 8 shot .327 magnum revolver.

Yow-za!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Since we're dreaming, make mine a polished SS 3" 327 Fed, six shot, with wood grips & non-adjustable sights. An under-cut barrel lug like they used to do would be nice too.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Number 5 is at the top of my list. I have been looking for a .45 Colt Tracker for about 3 years now. Number 3 would be a distant second for me even though I think it's more likely that Taurus would make this before the .45 Colt.

·
Registered
175 Posts
#3 with adj rear sight !!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How about an updated OSS, with compact and long (Competition) models?

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
When the shake-up at Taurus finally subsides, and the law-suit is finished being administered, we may see some of these. Better, it appears that they may be made in Taurus' American facility, ignoring the '68 GCA's import rules.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now I have always been intrigued by the little .30 Carbine round. I would like to see a lightweight, small, semi-auto design rifle/carbine for it.

The other round that is interesting and would be worth buying would be a little carbine in the Russian 7.62 x 25, same round used in the Russian Tokarev pistol and the PPSH submachine gun.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
The problem with the Carbine round has always been it's power levels, and it's undeveloped JHP status. As a paper-punching round, it would be fine, but for hunting? Ask your DNR about using a carbine and it's round on game.

The 7.62x25 round, until SAAMI calms it down, is a flat-shooting, and fast-shooting, round. However, it's pretty much a FMJ round, with limited American production. Again, it's a great paper-puncher, but there are a lot of other more developed self-defense rounds. It does have the advantage of being developed for semi-autos, and the .30 Carbine is the same.

We also have the FN 5.7 round, developed for PDWs, and the .22 TCM available in 1911 platforms, and a newly released bolt-action carbine length rifle. The .22 TCM already has JHP ammo in production, and, from a pistol, gives 696 ft/lb of energy.

Or, if one looks for them, the old Spanish Destroyer carbines are out there, in 9mm Largo. They are similarly flat-shooting, and the guns themselves are relatively inexpensive in most cases when found.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Either of those rounds are fully capable for home defense. With a little bullet development, I think they could be capable for deer hunting, even hog hunting, at short ranges, especially in the east where the deer are not especially large. Besides, the .300BLK and 7.62 x 39 AK round are pushing lightweight .30 cal bullet design along quite rapidly. Hmm, a Barnes 110 grain copper bullet developed for the Blackout might be an interesting .30 Carbine bullet.

The .22TCM is good for what it was developed for, unfortunately, it will never get out of the .22 rimfire range of bullet weights due to a cartridge designed to fit in a 9mm magazine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A big mistake that Taurus made is when they discontinued the model 445 ultralight in 44 special, this revolver is the perfect combination of caliber, weight and size. When you add in compact grips you have a lot of power in a small package especially when you are using the Hornady 180 grain jacketed hollow point load which is the best load for this caliber.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the Model 445 Ultralite and it is a very nice revolver. It is a good bit larger than the Model 85 though. The Model 450 (.45LC) is a very good snubby too. I would like to see both in 4" barrels.

I run the Blaser Aluminium with 200 grain Gold Dots in mine. I was amazed at how much lighter that revolver was loaded with aluminium cased rounds.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I'll add a couple that I would like to see:
- 3" barrel in .357 magnum, on either or both the 65 or 66 model line.
- 3" barrel in .38 Special, based on BOTH the 85 and 82 model line.
- a good .22 LR double action with a 3" to 5" barrel.

This would be a good start.
But I would put 3 to 2 odds I would not see these in the future.

Reactions: Sekol and catamount

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
I'll add a couple that I would like to see:
- 3" barrel in .357 magnum, on either or both the 65 or 66 model line.
- 3" barrel in .38 Special, based on BOTH the 85 and 82 model line.
- a good .22 LR double action with a 3" to 5" barrel.

This would be a good start.
But I would put 3 to 2 odds I would not see these in the future.
I own a stainless 3" Model 66. They were available for a decade or more. Nobody bought them, invariably buying the then-popular 4" guns.

Similarly, the Model 85 and Model 82 were also available with 3" barrels. Same problem. The Model 82 was usually purchased with a 4", and the Model 85 with a 2" barrel.

Maybe, if enough interest is shown, someone like Lipsey's might have them make up a run of just what you're asking for.

I own Taurus Model 94s in 3", 4", and 5" versions. Had Taurus bothered to develop a better trigger for them, they just might still be in full production.

Either of those rounds are fully capable for home defense. With a little bullet development, I think they could be capable for deer hunting, even hog hunting, at short ranges, especially in the east where the deer are not especially large.
I'll buy in to the .30 Carbine as suitable for Home Defense. However, the existing 7.62x25 is over penetrative, spotty as to expansion, and doesn't feed well in the guns chambered for it when larger JHP openings are used.

I will agree that they could well be developed to make decent rounds for a number of niche placements. However, nobody chambers the round in a modern weapon. You're pretty much stuck with 1930's Russian design, or 1952 Czech design. Expecting an ammunition company to develop a cartridge based on such moribund designs is seriously pushing the envelope of business models.

As for the TCM, it wasn't designed as a hunting round. Like the 7.62x25, it would take a long, hard, development to make that happen. The question being, for what purpose? We are literally awash in calibers that were designed for hunting.

The .30 Carbine 110 gr loading gave us, 1990 fps/967 ft lbs. That 300 blk, with a 110 gr. Cor-Bon DPX runs at 2400fps/1407 ft/lbs. Quite a bit more power. I'd LIKE to see the .30 M1 brought up to modern specs. However, SAAMI might have something to say about doing that in standard pressures. Especially when there are so many WWII-era Carbines still in use.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Just throwing spitwads...not a 905, not a 405, nor a 455...1005. Medium frame snub 10mm 6 shot revolver...and since it's so close, same thing in 41mag. TCP or Curve in the Mighty Mouse calibers of 25naa, 32acp, 32naa, and .380. Go ahead and toss in a curve in 9 mak for good measure.

And of course the raging 223

1 - 20 of 30 Posts