Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
decided .45 acp revolver with 4" barrel and maybe a rail like new S&W and maybe Crimson Trace laser grips would be perfect bedside companion - especially loaded with new Extreme Shock AFR ammo
looked at Taurus and found they had dicontinued
Would anyone else like to see them bring .45 acp wheelgun back?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I know that this is a Taurus forum but I think Smith still have 45acp N frames in production and the S&W Custom Shop has done railed revolvers before. However, this won't be cheap.

I wouldn't recommend using the Extreme Shock ammo though. It hasn't come off very well in testing.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=3516.0

Steelheart

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the link
think I'll wait awhile before I try that ammo
saved me some bucks (and maybe a lot more)
thanks again

·
Registered
418 Posts
S&W makes revolvers in 9mm,.40,10mm,and .45acp. I think 10mm would be more effective with its longer case like most revolver shells than the stubby .45.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Would anyone else like to see them bring .45 acp wheelgun back?
Sure why not, but I have to say I don't really see the advantage/point of semiauto caliber in a revolver. I understand that this is about personal preference though...

I'd be more interested in 10mm revolver; even though I don't see an advantage of it over any .357mag revolver :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I don't get that wound up over a .45 acp revolver, sure its a good gun and easy for a shooter who doesn't reload their own ammo...just pop into Wally World, or buy some bulk surplus .45 acp and you're set.

But for those who do reload their ammo, its a sure thing you'll love the big bores like .44 special or .45 Colt once you see what they are capable of performing.

I'm at an age and mind-set that I don't really need a magnum revolver, the basic big bore calibers are just fine for me.

But some of you are hunters, or law enforcement, then the magnums are a useful tool in that purpose.

Here is a .45 acp S&W revolver that I once used full moon clips, or .45 Auto Rim brass. But have not shot it in about 3 years.

TB C45

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I personally would like more revolver in 45 Colt not the cowboy action ones. I guess if I cannot find another elsewhere, I could buy a 454 and just use the 45 colts.

If I found the right sized 45 Colt, I probably would get rid of my 357. That big cartridge is something that really appeals to me for some reason.

But the 454, 500, and other mag loads do not.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Tracker Backer C45 said:
Here's a picture, Robby, of the Tracker in .45 Colt...enjoy.

TB C45
Ok, make me feel bad! I know people who have them, but unless it is auction time, gun show, or private sale, I am not going to find them in Taurus. I love the JUDGE, but a smaller version is what I wish Taurus still made. You cannot help but feel, that the lovely large round says, STOP!! Yeah, they cost almost as much as .50 cents a round and more but what a good feel.

Of course, so far I can still get 50 rd boxes JHP for about $21, if I order them in. Of course if I start reloading, that cost will come down.

·
Registered
69 Posts
.45 ACP Tracker. The one I had was problematic. It would run good when just cleaned but soon (less than 50 rounds) the cylinder would start binding and you couldn't fully pull the trigger or hammer back on some rounds. It did not like Blazer ammo - nor do I now that I'm reloading again. Problems occurred with any ammo.

I sold it cheap and wouldn't get another.

·
Registered
275 Posts
8Times.357, how many .45 Colt Tracker's can you find on the used forsale boards?

Hardly ever will you find one there.

After having solved the ammo problem issue with your gun, I would have hung onto it...but that is your decision.

TB C45

·
Registered
69 Posts
Tracker Backer C45, my post was in regards to the .45 ACP model mentioned in the original post. Had it been a .45 Colt, I probably would still have it, as I suspect the issues I experienced were endemic to the ACP version.

The problems were with the gun because they would eventually occur no matter what ammo I used, sometimes by the 15th shot after it was cleaned. The problems occurred with or without the moon clips. It was worse with the Blazer because of variations of head diameter (too big) with the aluminum cases which I believed were interfering with the operation of the revolver's hand. It was only 5 shots but still it seemed there was not much room for the hand to operate freely of the case rims. Maybe it was just my gun but this model certainly did have a short run, it had actually been out of production for some time before I picked it up from CDNN.

I have no experience with the .45 Colt version.

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
If tracker backer's makes you sway then check this one out:

Just shot it today. I was really suprised how tame the recoil was on this titanium frame. Looks like I'll be getting into reloading next.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Man, that is one sweet looken revolver...and the caliber is the big cahoona .45 Colt. What could be neater.

You know, them ribber grips is what makes the recoil docile, but they are not my favorite to look at. But sometimes we have to give up something to get better handling hand gun.

Is that a carry piece for you? Its liable to scare the crap out of anyone looking down that big pipe.

Now, hang onto that gun, they don't make them anymore...same old Taurus scenario, out of production.

Happy for you, guy.

TB C45

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the compliment Tracker. I always wanted one of these since they first came out. I bought the pistol as an off duy gun and as a home defense gun for the wife while I'm at work (the incidents where cops being attacked at home seems to be rising). My work gun is a Springfield XD 45 ACP with a Kel-Tec 380 BUG/Pocket Heater. I like the 45 round because whether one uses hollowpoints or harball ammo you still get good stopping power close in out to medium ranges. My only other purchase I would like to make would be a tactical shotgun. As far as the recoil goes I was really shocked at how easy it was to handle. Shooting any revolver seems so much less ...busy. I would really like to see the 45 revolver return to the Taurus lineup as a self defense gun. Right now the only drawback of this weapon is ammo availablity and cost.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Streetcruiser, may I suggest a Lee .45 Colt Hand press kit #90179, they don't cost much and it would be a beginning to reloading small amount of ammo for your big .45 Colt revolver...cost less than $40 regular price...they are going for $28.28 at Factory Sales.

The kit comes with Hand press, Ram prime, Powder funnel, Case lube...everything you'll need to get started...except powder and primers.

This beginners set up can be used in your living room if so desired, very portable and easy storage. It will get you started in reloading at a reasonable and practical advantage.

Check it out on the Lee Precision Inc. catalog internet website.

TB C45

·
Registered
38 Posts
Tracker Backer C45 said:
Streetcruiser, may I suggest a Lee .45 Colt Hand press kit #90179, they don't cost much and it would be a beginning to reloading small amount of ammo for your big .45 Colt revolver...cost less than $40 regular price...they are going for $28.28 at Factory Sales.

The kit comes with Hand press, Ram prime, Powder funnel, Case lube...everything you'll need to get started...except powder and primers.

This beginners set up can be used in your living room if so desired, very portable and easy storage. It will get you started in reloading at a reasonable and practical advantage.

Check it out on the Lee Precision Inc. catalog internet website.

TB C45
Thanks for the info. That press sounds like it's about what I'm looking for. I've also seen the turrent presses from Lee but they are a good bit more in cost. I also have an AR-15, 45 ACP and 380 BUG. My department used to not have problem with us practicing but since ammo is becoming scarce we have had to curtail our shooting. We have been told there is a 6-9 month backorder on ammo so any practice shooting is on our dime, kinda sucks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts