Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BRICK BATS & ROSES
I try to adhere to the “KISS” principle by keeping my comments short and to the point. Getting a bit long in the tooth has made me more so this way. Time is precious; we can make no more of it, once it’s gone, it’s gone. However, today I chose to ramble a bit.

Of late I’ve joined in a number of threads making comments that upon retrospect looked like “thread hijacking” to me. For that I take a brick bat and apologize to anyone, especially new members, which I may have offended. Sometimes expounding on an issue takes away from its original intention.

“Taurus Armed” is the best gun forum on the internet extant. On my first visit I found “My People” here; folks that love God, Guns, County and the American family. Conservative people who are open minded to life and the gun culture, accepting all, and helping any way they can.

The shooting sports are a great hobby, and a means of self preservation to our families & country. To see it continue we need to add responsible new gun owners daily. And to that end “Taurus Armed” must be commended for all its efforts, ROSES.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Can't speak for anyone else, but I've never taken offense at any hijacking you may have done.

Nor has your hijacking ever turned me from my purpose of promoting Truth, Justice, the American Way and White Castles.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Nor have I, but what exactly is a "brick bat"?

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I can't think of a single thread off the top of my head that doesn't have a little hijacking in it somewhere. I look at this stuff like an electronic conversation, and just like in conversation, some times they take off in different directions. I'm as guilty as the next guy for the occasional hijack, but I do try to monitor my 'abuses.' As far as MD is concerned, I have to confess that I kind of look forward to finding out what you're going to say next.

·
Registered
29,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This was a "self assesment" on my part, no one complained.

I re-read some of my posts and saw that some of my comments may have unintendedly sounded offensive.

I've seen far too many newbies post what some ole farts deem silly questions only to get slammed by same said ole farts.

Case in point is the dreaded "can my gun shoot +P" question that gets asked "elevenity-gazillion" times a day.

Patience is a virtue many ole farts (including yours truly) seem to loose with age, along with our eye sight, hair & hearing.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Holy smokes and for Pete's sake, stop with the self-assessing. I'll get around to providing an assessment for you when I find the time. Just assume you are doing a great job and continue as you have been doing. :D

Reactions: Lance0812

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Holy smokes and for Pete's sake, stop with the self-assessing. I'll get around to providing an assessment for you when I find the time. Just assume you are doing a great job and continue as you have been doing. :D
Yeah! What are you trying to do - turn into Alan Alda on us?!! :D

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I'm one of the newer members and all I have to say is ; Your good with me.....
Old Fart.gif

·
Registered
29,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alan Alda? :mad:

Now you've quit preaching and gone to meddling.

btleslie, a "brick bat" or properly "brickbat" is a brick, rock or stone used as a missle, or throwing weapon.

It's an Old Southern appilation used quite frquently here in the Deep South.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Thank you Sir, well worded, I'm guilty also, de-thorn the rose and beat me with it. I know what a brick bat is. Too old and ugly already for that kind of beating.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Brick Bats, haven't heard that in years. I remember back in the day... ooops, almost Hijacked. Sorry...

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
First off Moondawg I agree with db its an electronic conversation. Its like in a real conversation where you are sitting there and say "how the __ did we get to this topic?" . Well at least here you can go back and read the threads! :D

And second and not to hijack, but Moondawg do you know if I can shoot +p in a PT 1911? :D
(I couldn't resist!)

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts

I try to adhere to the “KISS” principle by keeping my comments short and to the point.

Getting a bit long in the tooth has made me more so this way. Time is precious; we can make no more of it, once it’s gone, it’s gone.

“Taurus Armed” is the best gun forum on the internet extant. On my first visit I found “My People” here; folks that love God, Guns, County and the American family. Conservative people who are open minded to life and the gun culture, accepting all, and helping any way they can.

I try not to get too wound up and wordy in my posts, as well; and to tell the truth, if someone else's post is half the length of this page with no paragraphs, I find it difficult to keep my mind focused enough to read it and comprehend what the author is attempting to convey. Guess it is just a sign I'm gettin' old!

I concur with you that TaurusArmed.net is the finest handgun forum, bar none! And I appreciate you, MOONDAWG, and all my other TA.net brothers and sisters on this forum for making my retirement years more enjoyable.

A day without logging onto TaurusArmed.net is like a day without sunshine. ;)

·
35,996 Posts
...I know what a brick bat is. Too old and ugly already for that kind of beating.
So do I.

There's no hope for me on the "ugly" part, as I've already been beaten by the proverbial "ugly stick"!

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
Nor have I, but what exactly is a "brick bat"?
Here ya go:

Noun:
  1. A piece of brick, typically when used as a weapon.
  2. A remark or comment that is highly critical and typically insulting.

·
Registered
29,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think it's a good idea for us ole farts to throw in an old country euphemism now and again to keep these young whipper-snappers on their toes.

Like..."It's a 3 Dog Night"; not to be confused with the 70's rock band.

When it got cold down here a rancher or farmer camping out in the field might have his dog sleep next to him for extra warmth.

If it got colder, he'd add another dog...when the temperature REALLY DROPPED it became a a"3 Dog Night".

·
35,996 Posts

When it got cold down here a rancher or farmer camping out in the field might have his dog sleep next to him for extra warmth.

If it got colder, he'd add another dog...when the temperature REALLY DROPPED it became a a"3 Dog Night".

And that, my friend, is colder than a well-digger's...................................................................................................kneecap!

(Thought I was going to say something else, didn't ya'?) :cool:

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
"Want some whiskey in your water, Sugar in your tea, What's all these crazy questions they askin' me..."

They still put on a good concert, saw them a couple years ago.

As to old sayings, I use quite a few, one I use alot is "that dog don't hunt"

My favorite has to be when a southern woman says "Bless your heart" that is one which needs to be taken in context! :D

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
29,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"Jeremiah was a bull frog was a good friend of mine, I never understood a single word he said...

...but I loved to drink his wine.

and you know, he made some MIGHTY FINE wine". :D

Yep...miss those days, but not the funky fashions, or
avocado & harvest gold shag carpet, aplliances ad nausem.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts