Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Topic says it all.. has anyone a list of parts that are fully compatible?

i wanted to get a elite style skeletonized hammer for my taurus but i can't find anyone who sells them specifically for the taurus.. i can however get a hold of bretta made elite hammers and was wondering if they are compatible.
Hammers are not a drop in replacement :/

The Below list is a general guide only, it is not meant to be an official source and is subject to mistakes.
In general the list is pertaining to recent production (say 1990 - current) models, very early taurus stamped 92's was identical to the early beretta model and they have since diverged, such old taurus 92's and indeed beretta 92's of that era are fairly far and few between.

Current Compatibility List

Confirmed Beretta->Taurus Compatible:
Barrel (after market manufacturers list barrels for both taurus and beretta compatible)
Guide Rod
Hammer Spring
Locking Block
Slide Catch/Stop/Release, & Spring
TakeDown Button Spring
Magazines (older early taurus with heal release)
Recoil Spring

Suspected Beretta->Taurus Compatible:
Ejector
Lanyard Loop (older taurus without internal lock)
Take Down Lever *taurus has slightly smaller shaft, may possibly work on some examples*
Trigger bar

Convertible:
Magazines (behind the trigger release)

Definitely Not Compatible:
Takedown Button (beretta has notch on opposite side of the shaft)
Grips & Grip Screws
Hammer (has extra notch that prohibits installation) (Decocker models confirmed incompatible, possibly compatible on pre-decocker taurus < 1990-92ish)
Lanyard Loop (newer models with internal lock has a hole threw lanyard loop plug)
Mag Catch/Release
Trigger (beretta trigger is a little longer, trigger guard on taurus is thicker then beretta)

Unknown:
Trigger Pin, & Spring
Hammer Strut
Locking Block Plunger, & Pin
Firing-Pin Assembly
Extractor, Pin, & Spring
Sear, Pin, & Spring
Ejector Pin
Lanyard Loop Pin

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Re: Bretta 92 Taurus 92/99 Parts Interchance

I know barrel/locking blocks are interchangable...mags are not...

Not sure about the hammer, wouldn't hurt to try ;)

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

i could'nt drop in fit my bretta barrel and locking block into my taurus or visversa..

im not sure what the exact problem was but the slide did not want to retract.
they look exactly alike though..

i did'nt want to force it so i promptly stoped and removed it.

i know the recoil rod and recoil spring changes.. i've got a D'spring on order which i will then test on the tarus and get back to you, but my guess is it works as well.

next time i clean i'll check the slide releaes and take down levers.. they all look the same but i'll test to make sure.

the mags need a bigger notch and also i noticed the taurus mags are more rounded at the front top of the mag.. this helps the larger more stubby mag catch slide around the mag.. brettas have a more flat top front edge.. so the mag will only fit if you push the mag release in then push the mag up.

i've got some el'cheap'o's mags that work like crap on my bretta.. they feed fine but wont lock the slide open on empty..
i'll use them as test subjects for a conversion once i get time.

back to the original question though.. i'd really like to know if anyone has tried putting a bretta hammer on a taurus.. i could try it but the hammers gonna cost me 40 bucks it's not all the money in the world but i'd rather not spend it if it gets me no where.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

i just changed my hammer spring from stock taurus to a beretta D-spring, honestly i can tell no difference in SA, in DA it seems like it only reduced it about 1/4 or maybe 1/3 of pull..

i have no scientific way of testing.

im going to the range tomorrow and i'll report back if i have any failures, but i dont for see any as the hammer still seems to have significant force behind it.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts

D spring doesn't redure the length of the pull; it lightens it...I have it installed on my 92FS and I did notice a difference esp in DA...haven't had any failures to fire (700 rounds since)

·
Registered
418 Posts

I would say there isn't "as much" of an improvement because the Taurus already has a SLIGHTY lighter DA trigger pull than the Beretta. At least it seems compared to my 92 Steel-I and 90-Two. Also the older Taurus spring will seem softer because its already broken in. The new D-spring will loose about 1/2 pound after about 200 rounds, or firing with snap caps. You could break it in sooner by leaving the hammer fully cocked for about a week.

If you want it even lighter get the Wolf 16lb hammer spring. They say there 18lb spring is the same as the Beretta D-spring but the 16lb spring only makes the trigger pull about 1/2 pound lighter than the D-Spring.
http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/BerettaNF.html#Beretta92Hammer

As far as Taurus and Beretta interchange i would like to try the new wolf trigger spring conversion available in factory,lighter,and heavier. This is the spring that makes the trigger return back forward. This new design is supposed to "eliminate trigger spring breakage. Additional features include smoother trigger pulls and improved staging". They are only listed under the beretta parts but it says they also fit Taurus 92 at the top. It then states will not fit newer model taurus due to design change. I looked at that area on my new stainless pt92asf and it looks the same as my beretta 92 Steel-I. Then agian the Steel-I is the only 92 with a (stainless) steel frame(instead of aluminum) besides the Billenium?orMillenium?
http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/BerettaNF.html#TCU

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

ya im not sure what the taurus spring is rated at, i did go to the range today and shot 150 rounds, others with me shot it an additional 50-100 rounds.

i did not notice it dry firing but i could definitely tell a difference even from (as you said and i suspected the taurus already lighter stock spring) once i was at the range firing, i usually just shot in SA since thats what the gun reverts to after the first shot anyway and you gotta pull the slide back to load it anyway.
but i still prefer da/sa incase i need to fire quickly with the hammer down or strike a round twice.

my uncle and cousin both shot it and they both mentioned how light the trigger was, they had never shot it before, in fact my cousin had a semi AD, it fired on him before he had the sights lined up but he had it down range so no foul.

we had no malfunctions of any kind, and it preformed like a champ as always.
i know it's a bit on the big side but if i was gonna carry i'd want it to be my taurus, it's not quite as pretty or tight as my beretta, but when it comes to firing it has no problem keeping up and a lot easier to replace.

im still interested in getting an elite hammer i might just buy one to give it a shot.. it's not like i wont find a use for it later i just dont wanna be disappointed or out 40bucks for a part i can't use right now.
if she's a good girl im thinking about buying her some night sights for her birthday :D

P.S

anyone thinking about changing their hammer spring removal is similar to beretta except if you have the model with internal lock there is an extra pin you have to remove just above the one for the lanyard loop.

also be warned it has either 1 or 2 small bearings i mean really really small, and it is kept under a small spring as tention.. this locks the safety peg (which is just that a peg shape with a notch on one side) that spins into locked or unlocked positions.

there is 2 areas for bearings on the peg, but it's possible the peg is used the same in all guns and only one bearing is used on the 92/99, im unsure since i actually found the bearing on the floor.. and did not realize there was a bearing at all in there, there might have been two but all i could find was one and it seems to work fine with just the one that i put back in.. although like i said there may have orginally been 2 and i simply lots one.. they are about the size of a ball point pin.

removing the pins and springs only took 10-15mins but it took me damn near 3 hours trying to reset the bearing back into position.. the gun will fire perfectly fine without the safety lock/peg but you'll be left with a pencil size hole in the grip.

·
Registered
418 Posts

Do you think i could remove the internal safety and reassemble the gun without any problems with it still functioning?I have found that a small internal part, i believe to be from the internal safety, to put the gun into safety mode when the gun is turned sideways or upside down.

I have also noticed my Taurus is more loose in the frame to slide fit but that could improve the reliability and allow it to still shoot without being super clean . The barrel lock up is very good also. I would think the looser gun would wear out faster though. But if you put away 2 dollars for every 100round box of ammo you bought after 20,000 rounds you would have 400 bucks for a brand new pistol. And you could sell the still running one or use it for a range/beater or watever.

If i replaced the fugly black hammer with a beretta one, i would also want to use the beretta trigger bar,sear,ect so there are no tolerance difference problems between the two companies trigger group components,and to get a nice matting hammer/sear for a crisp smooth trigger. Could be easy, or Taurus could have switched up a few of the pin sizes or something.
Something like this but NEW
http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=981500&chrSuperSKU=&MC=

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

well it seemed to function perfectly fine without he safety peg.

all is, is a round peg, infact if you take the mag out you'll see a black round hole in the mag well.. thats it.. it has a it's perfectly round except for the notches for the bearing to lock it into locked or unlocked positions (without the bearing it could spring freely from lock/unlock on you)

i almost gave up on setting the peg back in.. since once my pachmayr grips come back and hopefully soon i'll have a rubber backstrap that goes with them that will cover up the internal safety anyway.. but lucky i was able to get it back in, it was tricky though.

the guide bar that the spring fits over moves downward when you cock the hammer, the peg keeps the gun from firing because it's perfectly round except when in unlocked position it has a hollow notch cut into it for the bar to slide down into.

i expected a complex system but actually it's as simple as putting a peg in a hole.. it's extremely simple yet effective design.

since the peg is not very big i would imagine it saves them a huge amount of money on safety locks.. so it's not only easy to keep tack of your lock for the gun and you dont have to open the action or anything.. it's very simple and cost saving as the same time.

on the other hand both my tracker and my 92 have the same keys so i dont know if it would qualify as a true blue lock since anyone with a taurus (probably a rossi as well) key could lock/unlock it.

the peg actually goes thew the lanyard loop peg which goes into the hammer spring hole some ways.. this is why you have to remove the safety peg & it's pin (both of which also goes threw the lanyardloop)

other wise it's the same as the beretta from what i can tell..

yup maybe it broke in early.. i would'nt want it any lighter though it is extremly light in sa with the d-spring, the hammer still seems to have much force behind it and notice very little if any difference in primer strikes on spent brass.

but definitely nothing lighter then this.. if it could be done for lowering DA pull maybe but SA is on the verse of a hair trigger now, it's also smoother and i pay extra special attention to it now.

i should have taken pictures but i did not expect 3 hours of fighting with it to set this bearing... it was one of those moments where you're saying.. god help me out on this one.

i thanked him several times i thought i lost the bearing and (or) bearing spring..

if you take the grips off you'll notice 3 holes on one side and 2 holes on the other as you might have guessed you have to drop the spring thew the middle hole, drop it down and line it up into a recessed hole on the oppisite side of the gun.. the spring is'nt so hard but then you have to set the bearing on top of the spring, push down on the spring with one hand so that it is flush or below the hole where the peg goes into..

you then have to line up the goove on the safety peg and slide it in and HOPE you can get the peg to slide over the bearing without it slipping out.. this is what took so long.

·
Registered
878 Posts

Does the Beretta have a better trigger pull out of the box than the Taurus? In both DA and SA? Just curious, I'm on the fence about which one I should get. I'm not really worried about the extra $$ at this point, just want the nicest shooting gun.

·
Registered
418 Posts

The beretta has a smoother,crisper trigger,and overall better parts fit and finish.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

ya adam pretty much has it right, the beretta has better fit and finish in pretty much every area of the gun,
the taurus does have a lighter stock trigger though.

but i put a beretta d-spring in it anyway.. now it's extremely light on SA.. but still has a fair amount of safety in the DA pull.

this does not mean the taurus is a inferior gun though, i shoot the taurus more.. mostly to keep wear off my beretta, they both shoot equally well for me.. a good marksmen might get more out of the beretta but for me it's about the same.

i prefer the safety on the taurus but the decocker on the beretta.

they are both deadly reliable and have a nearly exact feel (excluding different grips).
if i was to carry one or the other it would be the taurus because A: It cost less (new vs new), B: like the safety better, C: it needed replaced would be easy.. the particular beretta i have is not a rarity (all inox italy made) but is in very good shape and would be harder to replace.. the taurus i can go and just pick one up.

if you can afford it i'd say get both.
if it's one or the other then i'd say get the beretta.. either a new one or a used one.. the price has really hit rock bottom on these pistols.. and used & police trade ins can be found for very reasonable prices these days since a lot of LE is moving to glock, sig, and some to S&W even.

im planing on picking up a black beretta this year i hope.. either new or a police trade in.. it's a fertile market right now.

·
Registered
418 Posts

I would fully trust to carry my taurus but considering i paid $419 for my pt92 with 4 magazines, and only $499 (475 onsale) for my Italian(Not USA) Beretta 92 i can afford to carry either of them. However i don't want to put allot of wear on my Italian 92's as they are a piece of art so i shoot and carry my taurus more. If i could only have one only i would get the italian or usa beretta for the cheap price i can get them. The 50-100 more is worth it for the chrome lined bore,updated locking block,and other features of the beretta if you can afford them.

·
Registered
127 Posts

I paid a little more than that for a black taurus. I was handgun stupid at the time and I found out about a week later that I could have gotten it alot cheaper.

Oh well, live and learn I guess.

·
Registered
418 Posts

How much cheaper? I see them selling online for 375-399 online but then you have 25-30 shipping and 25-40 for the ffl transfer it adds up to 425-469 . I figured if i sold two of the magazines for 20 bucks each that it would be like getting the new pt92 with 2 mags for 380.00

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

thats what i paid for mine, the stainless. 2 17rnd mags nib for 379.99 + tax.. like 408 total.. locally.

did'nt look into the black one since if it's at all possible i get the stainless models, but it seems the blacks is only like 10-20 bucks cheaper.

mec-gar mags i can find for about 20bucks.. actually if you got 17rnd factory mags then 420 is a good deal.. cause 17rnd taurus factory mags cost 30ish+

of course your beretta is black is'nt it? so stainless taurus vs a black beretta.. think cheapest i seen inox berettas was 535.. or maybe 525, but that was the newer ones with poly rod and poly coated levers/trigger.

for those looking at price i'd compare new taurus vs used beretta.. course you do get a nicer and tigher fit/finish for the extra 100-150 bucks on the beretta.. but functionally i can't say the taurus is inferior in firing.. but then again im not the best shot so i might not notice.

·
Registered
418 Posts

The Taurus 92 legendary design will fire every time all the same as the Beretta and are just as accurate if not more due to the non chrome lined bore. The Taurus are built on Berettas old machinery in Brazil . I have the Stainless PT92 and the Black Italian 92 but the black beretta is just as good as far as corrosion resistance ,minus the bling,because of the anodized aluminum frame, and Beretta's Brunitron finish on the slide vs the bluing on the black PT92.This stainless beretta 92fs is only $499.00
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=89019661

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

ya i know the history of taurus 92, i would'nt call the standard taurus stainless 92/99 "bling" i mean.. it's polished.. of course they do have some with gold accents and pearl side panels which i would call the bling bling edition.

i would imagine the brunitron finish would be better.. although i would expect the stainless pt92/99 to hold up better vs the black beretta.

i dont know if the taurus is more accurate.. true it's not chrome lined on the black but both inox beretta and stainless taurus both have stainless barrels.. if anything i'd expect the beretta to be more accurate because the taurus does'nt have as deep a rifling, but they both seem to fire the same either way.

ya buds has some good prices on their guns.. i dont know if thats the sell price or not.. since they was the cheapest i knew of before.. was either 525 or 535.. it could be the sell price their having a after year sell till jan 6th, course it has the ugly black controls.. but if you're looking for rust resistance.. the poly coated levers/trigger would actually be better..

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/52/products_id/30865

EDIT: oh i just noticed the auction does'nt include shipping.. check out their website it's 499 delivered.. just pay your transfer fees, which will probably similar to tax if you bought locally.

·
Registered
5 Posts

This might be slightly off-topic, but it might be the best thread considering the subject of my question is parts.

I am torn between getting the Taurus PT99B-17 or the H&K P30. The P30 is nice since it's fully ambidextrous, but it's over $800 -- that's *way* out of my budget. I think I can learn to operate the slide release with my left-trigger finger and save $500. Also, I like the adjustable sights on the Taurus.

I've read that the Taurus PT92/99 have a problem with the locking block cracking from time to time and the remedy is to get the new Beretta locking block (and maybe a new recoil spring). I think I'd like to get different grips with finger depressions since that made the grip on the P30 feel that much better.... still it's $800+... Anyone have any opinions on that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

well they do sell grips for the taurus, i ordered some pachmayr full signature grips with groves.. actually i think they are the only grips with finger grooves out there for it.. they are FAT.. i had a problem with mine i could not get the screws to bite on some of the grip holes.. so i had to send them back to be cut a little more.. actually that reminds me i have'nt heard from them and it's been a little over 2 weeks..

meh anyway i have'nt actually got them on yet.. if i had to do it all over though i'd probably have gotten some hogue rubber side pannels, thats what i have on my beretta and they are very nice soft and comfortable.

now as far as locking blocks go ya they use the older design.. expected life time is at least 5k rounds.. but should last 10-15k.. with some lasting 20-22k

you can get a newer design beretta which is suppose to last like 30k or something.

if you do break a taurus block i've heard they will send you a new one provided you send the cracked one back, no 1st hand exp on this though..

i'll just wait and if it happens and they wont replace it for free.. then i'll just buy a beretta block but till then im not sweating it.

i have the fixed sights (92).. i probably should have spent the extra 20-30 for the 99.. but is no biggie, the sights (from what i can tell) are pretty dead on.. it just be easier to replace them with night sights which im thinking of doing.. but again no biggie, can always be worked on.. they do it all the time on standard beretta 92's.

i can't offer much advice on guns if you're a lefty.. im right handed.. but i had though it would be cool you could add a left side slide release..

i've let lefties shoot my 92 and they usually do one of 3 things..

1. take right hand and release while holding with left
2. take left thumb and release
3. take left trigger finger and release..

neither of those are quick or offer much control.. but it can be used.. if you're going ot the range it probably does'nt matter.. it probably still wont matter even for SD/HD.. how offten are you gonna need to shoot more then 1 mag? still the need might arise so it's not totally moot.
if you're gonna use the gun for carry i'd have to recommend a gun with lefty controls.

the recoil springs WILL work on either gun.. i believe all other springs are also interchangeable, i put a beretta D-spring on my taurus.. the gun functions perfectly for the 250 rounds i put threw it when i tested it at the range after i put the D-spring in.. but the SA trigger is extremely light now.

when i get a chance i'll check the takedown lever/button and slide release i suspect just looking at them they are the same.. just looking at them.

i've never shot the p30.. but it better be one fine ass gun for me to pay 800 bucks for it

EDIT: you just got me thinking.. duh.. i forgot you can just pull the slide back if you want.. once you put a new mag in just pull the slide back and let it go.. no need to fiddle with the slide catch if you want to..
this is still gonna be slower for a lefty but at least it will offer you a lot more control over the gun when doing it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts