Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are over 26,000 registered members of the Taurus Armed Forum and I think it's safe to say that - even though all of them do not post on a daily basis - most have spent many sleepless nights, sitting alone in the dark in the wee small hours of the morning, maybe with a cigarette in hand, certainly with a can of beer at the ready - their thoughts circling around one of the greatest mysteries of life:

Why do woodpeckers not get concussions?

Now, science believes it has an answer to the question:

Woodpecker Heads Feature Thick Skulls That Block Concussions, Scientists Say

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Very cool, I have always wondered about that. Amazing that they withstand 1000G tho!!!

Sarge

·
Super Moderator
35,575 Posts
I thought they didn't get concussions because it takes a brain to get one! :D

·
Administrator
39,387 Posts
I'm glad that's settled. I'll be able to sleep much better tonight! :D

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
There are over 26,000 registered members of the Taurus Armed Forum and I think it's safe to say that - even though all of them do not post on a daily basis - most have spent many sleepless nights, sitting alone in the dark in the wee small hours of the morning, maybe with a cigarette in hand, certainly with a can of beer at the ready - their thoughts circling around one of the greatest mysteries of life:

Why do woodpeckers not get concussions?

Now, science believes it has an answer to the question:

Woodpecker Heads Feature Thick Skulls That Block Concussions, Scientists Say

What did Woody Woodpecker give his wife on their wedding anniversary?

Splinters!

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I am "BirdBrain" at moments! No smoke, no beer.....just birdbrain! :D

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
This is far more than I ever needed to know about a pecker. :eek:

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I remember reading something like this almost 20 years ago. They were studying woodpecker skulls to create improved helmet design.

·
Super Moderator
40,413 Posts
I have a stupid (or very smart) woodpecker that lives in my yard. Every morning, at sunrise, it will peck on the metal electrical transformer on the utility pole. It keeps this up for a good hour before it moves to a nearby tree and starts pecking away. This has been going on for over a year, some mornings it will just drive me nuts.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
All this information about woodpeckers.......I need a smoke and a beer!

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I have a stupid (or very smart) woodpecker that lives in my yard. Every morning, at sunrise, it will peck on the metal electrical transformer on the utility pole. It keeps this up for a good hour before it moves to a nearby tree and starts pecking away. This has been going on for over a year, some mornings it will just drive me nuts.
I reckon that is one of the reasons for owning a shotgun......:D

1.1 USA.gif

·
Super Moderator
40,413 Posts
I reckon that is one of the reasons for owning a shotgun......:D
I've thought about it, i'ts a nice looking bird and I don't want to have to eat it. Any way it's against the law to discharge a firearm in my county unless in self defense or at a designated range.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Do I smell another White Castle-type thread in the works?

Reactions: whodog

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
That's awesome! Amazing that the Master Engineer made them that way isn't it? Now personally, I would like to have had that feature from birth, what with concussions from wrestling, soccer, and motorcycle riding! :D

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've thought about it, i'ts a nice looking bird and I don't want to have to eat it. Any way it's against the law to discharge a firearm in my county unless in self defense or at a designated range.
Please understand that this is just a guess, but I'd think the electric company would take a dim view of the matter when they had to replace the shot-to-h-ll transformer.

·
Super Moderator
40,413 Posts
Please understand that this is just a guess, but I'd think the electric company would take a dim view of the matter when they had to replace the shot-to-h-ll transformer.
That could be hard to explain, you never know, with 1000 G in that beak maybe it will wear a spot in the transformer and blow its self up.

·
32,481 Posts
Those are the woodpeckers who got to close to the 12 gauge when they were bothering the home owners with their noise and hammering on the wood veneer of the house. :) Fit in a bun real good.:):icon_ devil::)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts