Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited a pt111 g2. I want to take to the range and break it in. I don't believe it has had enough rounds through it, to evaluate. I know it has had some FTEs in the past.

The former owner bought the firearm and fired it a few times and didn't bother with it.

ammo recommendations?
number of rounds to determine how well it performs?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Thourough Cleaning is important,It will help you evaluate any Issues arising.In my cas our third G2C needed the chamber polished with the yellow stainless steel cleaning cloths and now feeds all ammo in 9mm. This was the only issue with the G2C .

·
Registered
220 Posts
I used Federal 115gr., Winchester 115gr., Speer Gold Dot 124gr. And all went well not one hiccup in 325 rounds. I then decided to go cheap and purchase the Winchester steel case for 8.00 at Wal-Mart my G2 did NOT like that stuff. The casings are gritty and hang up in the chamber causing FTEs every other round or so. Some have good luck with the steel case but I will NEVER buy it again!!! My G2 eats brass and aluminum case without a hitch.
Great Gun especially for the price.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My wife has around 500 rounds thru her PT111 G2 with zero issues. I bought this gun new for her for $200 bucks 6 months ago. I really seems to be a good gun for the money.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It's an underrated gun. Put 100 rounds of 147 grain through it and you're good.

Reactions: bobbojama

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thourough Cleaning is important,It will help you evaluate any Issues arising.In my cas our third G2C needed the chamber polished with the yellow stainless steel cleaning cloths and now feeds all ammo in 9mm. This was the only issue with the G2C .
I’m having issues with mine extracting. You mean the actual barrel chamber or the ramp needs polishing?

·
Super Moderator
37,552 Posts
I’m having issues with mine extracting. You mean the actual barrel chamber or the ramp needs polishing?
Polishing the feed ramp with Flitz or any other polishing compound, either by hand or Dremel with a felt "bullet" attachment can improve feeding in any semi-auto pistol. Don't go heavy enough to change the geometry of the ramp or it will be screwed up. A rough ramp shouldn't result in extraction issues...clean around your extractor and examine it for any burrs/chips on it.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Sounds like it never had a thorough cleaning. I've put 100's of rounds through mine with zero malfunctions.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Barrel Chamber in my case not so much the ramp but polished it anyway and did the trick and resoved all issue with 15 minutes of polishing
Chamber polishing helped out with the Steel case USA Forged ammo. G2 and Gloc 17 are the only guns I have that will fire it W/O FTE. I just need to do the mag lips as said in another post so I can run Critical duty. So far its V Crown and HST.

OP I'll try and find my old post of what ran and didn't run in a bit.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Thanks! I just did this. I will see what happens the next time I take it out.

Good Luck and dont forget the range report .The Taurus G2C are a very good buy for the money dependablity and accuracy,so every once in a while there is always some here with sound advice at TA to resolve an issue which there are not a lot of compared to 1st generation milleniums.!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Good Luck and dont forget the range report .The Taurus G2C are a very good buy for the money dependablity and accuracy,so every once in a while there is always some here with sound advice at TA to resolve an issue which there are not a lot of compared to 1st generation milleniums.!
I agree and like I've stated before I really do want to like this gun. I shoot dead on with it when it will shoot. It will be a week or so before I get back out with it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have several of these stashed around the house. Figured for the price and quality why not? No feeding or ejecting problems with any of them, though I have not fired steel cased ammo. Otherwise they've all seen a mixture of cheap brass-cased factory ball and hollow point plus a variety of lead handloads. All of them went through a thorough tear-down and cleaning. And while they were disassembled everything was checked for tool marks and/or burrs anywhere that mattered. No point in worrying about a burr that only rubs against air. Didn't find burrs but did find a few areas of sliding contact where the factory polish wasn't quite mirror bright. They are now. Diamond polishing cloth is great stuff. Since I didn't quantitatively evaluate the trigger pull before polishing I can't say positively whether it helped. I can say it made me think it did. I eventually installed an aftermarket stainless striker guide in my carry pistol which did smooth the trigger pull.

Overall, a very impressive pistol.

·
Registered
53 Posts
As a firearms instructor in the Army, I had officers and NCOs alike have FTE with the M9 and Colt .45 pistols. It was 99% due to anticipated recoil. The shooters would bring their firing hand back, to reduce the recoil, and defeated the operating spring.

Whether shooting one-handed Bullseye, or using a two-handed grip, you need a semi rigid firing arm, to allow the equipment to work properly. I fire 115, 124, 147 gr 9mm in my personal M9 and suffer near zero FTE/FTF.

Oh, and one-half of the 1% is usually due to a poorly maintained weapon or magazine. The springs DO wear out, so swap your loaded mags on a rotating basis.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts