Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I presentely have a 3rd Gen PT 140 and PT 111. Hopefully this may save someone else from experiencing the same problem I had. It is essential that you shake up the CLP prior to use. Apparentely the teflon settles out and not shaking the bottle can cause some cycling problems after a few rounds from lack of lubrication. Shaking the bottle the next time cured the problems but for good measure i now also put some Rem Oil on the slide rails ater a cleaning.

·
Administrator
17,667 Posts
Breakfree CLP is going the way of the DoDo bird these days. Even it's former largest customer, the U.S. Armed Forces (DOD) no longer uses it as lubrication for weapons. It was found wanting in the first Gulf War and the current conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq. (DOD News) It still sees some favor as a metal preservative but I believe there are better products that do that. I still have a large old cannister of the stuff I wished I hadn't bought. :-[

Switch completely to regular synthetic Gun Oil, such as your Rem Oil, or some synthetic motor oil as some USPSA/IPSC competition shooters are now using. I use Mobil 1 10w30, particularly in my AR15's bolt carrier. I also use straight 30w Motor Oil in heavy bearing surfaces, such as slide rails, in warm weather. Have done this for years now and credit that lubrication for keeping the wear down on some of my very well used firearms, my Taurus PT92 in particular.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The only thing I keep CLP around for is a mini gun maintenance kit I put together for when I'm traveling. 1 product to do everything OK (and not much real well). Beyond that, I use other products for lube, cleaning etc.

Steelheart

·
Registered
111 Posts
it's the same with FP10 you gotta shake it before each use, I use it as the final wipe down before storing only, for shooting lube I have used Mobil1 for 10 + years and it works I use 20W50 and paint it on the rails and barrel hood etc and have found I don't have wear at all and it's much easier to clean after a long range sesion.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've used Breakfree for years w/out a problem,but I do shake it.I always thought the Mobil 1 thing was a myth...do you really use it?It would be a cheap way to go,one bottle would last a life time.

·
32,495 Posts
Nothing wrong with Breakfree. A lot of gun cleaning products need to be shaken prior to use.There are more modern or "cutting edge" lubes and cleaners.Gun oil and greases have been around for many moons, yet there are those who use the older designs and are protecting their firearm just fine in using them. Just a personal choice. For example, there are at least three different lubes in my cleaning kit right now. Breakfree is one of them. FP10 is one of the others. Also have a commercial graphite solution for lubing. Depends on the use and mission and the circumstances the firearm is going to be used under. All the above lubes work well. So pick one you folks like. Just realize that there may be limitations for each lube type, what those limitations are, and that the lube is the proper one for your circumstances. Hard to pick a bad one these days.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use CLP and will continue to. I shake it like a salt shaker before each use and I've never had a problem. I do prefer the liquid over the aerosol can as it doesn't waste any. I also LOVE the way it smells! ;D

·
Registered
111 Posts
TonyB: yes I really do use Mobil 1 it's great, look at it this way it works in car engines which I happen to test for a living under such severe conditions that I'm not even sure race drivers put this kind of abuse on them and it holds up, I have cooked engines with this oil in it and it still tested GOOD, your firearm will never get that kind of abuse. Mobil 1 and synthetic oils in general were developed for extreme conditions eg: helicopter turbine engs etc it wont let you down. By the way I do not work for any oil co. I am employed by the Big 3 doing heat management testing and control.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I like MMC gun oil that red stuff works wonders on a firearm.

·
Administrator
17,667 Posts
zemus said:
I like MMC gun oil that red stuff works wonders on a firearm.
Sounds like Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) which has also been used as a Firearms/Fine Machine Lubricant.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts