Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dumb question #23-

Tell me- Is Break free gun cleaner the same thing as brake cleaner that you get at the auto parts store?

·
Registered
860 Posts
No; Break-free CLP cleans, lubricates, and protects. Brake cleaner removes grease and oil as well as the bluing off a firearm.

·
Registered
29,949 Posts
Lots of gun cleaners to choose from nowadays...

But I've been using Breakfree CLP for 21 years with very good results.

As it's name implies, it was designed to Clean, Lubricate, and Protect firearms.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Breakfree does make a cleaner similar to Gunscrubber called Powder Blast. It works about the same too and is available even at Walmart. I've found little difference in either Gunscrubber or Powder Blast on my guns. Breakfree CLP is also sold at Walmart with Winchester's name on it but same stuff.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
No; Break-free CLP cleans, lubricates, and protects. Brake cleaner removes grease and oil as well as the bluing off a firearm.
Huh? I've been using brake cleaner (mostly acetone) for years, and have never removed the bluing. Wouldn't recommend the chlorinated stuff though. It's a great degreaser and leaves no residue. I managed to take the bluing off with kerosene once, but that was after an 18 month soak.

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys- I can see it now.
I have a can of Break Free Powder Blast, PB Blaster, and brake cleaner side by side.

·
Registered
292 Posts
IMO if you need to use CLP you might need to clean your gun more often. In my experiance, CLP is for heavy duty cleaning on dirty guns.

·
Super Moderator
21,631 Posts
I do use CLP with a borsnake for when I can't get to a good cleaning. But I like good old Hoppes #9 for the deep scrubbing.

Reactions: pavehawk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ask 100 people get 100 different opinions.The bottom line:Just clean it and lube it with something.Grease (your choice) for semi slides.Oil (your choice) for other areas.There is no miracle product.Just don't over do it.A little goes a long way.Personally I've tried this,that and the other thing and see no difference in performance overall.For a sd situations how many rounds do you think you will have to fire anyway? Even a dry semi would probably get thru at least one mag.A revolver probably a few cylinders,maybe more.If you need more then that leave an address to send the flowers to.LOL.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Thanks guys- I can see it now.
I have a can of Break Free Powder Blast, PB Blaster, and brake cleaner side by side.
Please be careful, Break Free CLP is OK for polymer but Break Free Powder Blast will discolor the polymer frame unless Walmart now carries a new type of BF Powder Blast that is synthetic safe.

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you Taurus10...
I finally read the back label on the can- it says-"...do not apply to rubber or plastic grips..."
When I was in Walmart all I saw was the front label that says "Break Free Powder Blast Gun Cleaner"

Thank you-

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Thank you Taurus10...
I finally read the back label on the can- it says-"...do not apply to rubber or plastic grips..."
When I was in Walmart all I saw was the front label that says "Break Free Powder Blast Gun Cleaner"

Thank you-
You're welcome! That's the reason I do not use BF Powder Blast but I use Gun Scrubber Synthetic Safe. You can find Gun Scrubber Synthetic Safe cheaper on eBay and Amazon.com.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Huh? I've been using brake cleaner (mostly acetone) for years, and have never removed the bluing. Wouldn't recommend the chlorinated stuff though. It's a great degreaser and leaves no residue. I managed to take the bluing off with kerosene once, but that was after an 18 month soak.
Perhaps "remove" is not the most appropriate word, but brake cleaner will discolor your firearm.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Perhaps "remove" is not the most appropriate word, but brake cleaner will discolor your firearm.
Nope. Won't do that either. Sometimes it will look like it's discolored, but it's more like streaked windex. Goes away when you oil it.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I wish that was true, but sadly my 605 tells me otherwise.
The chlorinated stuff might, but I've been using the non chlorinated for years with no problems what so ever. I use straight acetone too, which also works well.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
The chlorinated stuff will leave a residue on it and possibly discolor the finish. But the non-chlorinated stuff should work fine. Another one that should work good for grease and grime removal is starting fluid since it's just aerosol methyl alcohol. And it dries almost as quick as you apply it.

·
32,659 Posts
I once made the mistake of spraying regular Gun Scrubber on the frame of my Ruger P95DC. It took months for the color of the frame to come back. The frame was a ghostly white until things got back to normal. Now I use the CLP and Gun Scrubber for polymer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts