Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Break-Free CLP smells different ?

3K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  rollin thunder 
#1 ·
I bought a gallon of Break-Free CLP. It doesn't smell the same as the stuff I've been getting in the aerosol cans. Quite different in fact.

Anyone use that stuff in the military? Anyone know if it smells differently when you get it in bulk?

Label says Break-Free CLP. Little aerosol cans say "Winchester Break-Free CLP". Maybe they added something when Winchester bought the rights?

#2 ·
Aerosol cans also contain a propellant gas this may account for the smell.

#3 ·
If you want to know if the chemicals are different, you can always check the MSDS. I quit buying aerosol cans some time ago, and instead I picked up a couple refillable aerosol cans and put whatever I want in them. They work great and it costs a lot less than buying chemicals in aerosol cans. Something to think about if you've got your material in bulk...

#6 ·
Now that is new to me as I have used compressior paint sprayers in the past. I like this better though and where does one get a couple of these at?

#7 ·
I used break-free in the Army. I loved the smell of that stuff. When you put too much on your M-16 it would smoke and burn your eyes when you fired it. (in basic they taught us to apply liberally)

#10 ·
Never gave the smell of Break Free a thought. I've never bought it in aerosol form, just the small 4oz. and .68oz bottles. Like you, I just picked up a gallon and it smells the same as the stuff in the small bottles, so I think it's probably the propellant in the aerosol cans that give it a different odor. Also, thanks to dbeardslee for posting that eBay link on the refillable aerosols with the special pressure relief valve. I just ordered a couple of them and will use one for acetone (degreaser) and the other one for Break Free. I'll still keep a .68 oz bottle in the small cleaning kit I carry to the range. Contains bore snakes for whatever calibers I take plus a couple of old tooth brushes and the small bottle of BF-CLP in a zip up pouch that once contained an old blood sugar tester.

#11 ·
My sense of smell has been gone for over 20 years now so I don't notice it either. But then you can put a rotting corpse next to me and I can't smell it. Kind of mixed blessing sometimes.

#13 ·
Kinda like a road-kill cat ---

Sorry, I absolutely could not resist that one! Apologies to the OP.

#15 ·
I usually fill mine about 3/4 full with liquid, and then pressurize the can. As the liquid level drops I repressurize it, and I keep doing that until the can is empty. I guess I usually pressurize about three times (total) before the can is empty. They work pretty good, and I think they actually hold more than a comparable sized can you'd buy in a store. I clean a lot of motorcycle carburetors and automobile parts in the summers, so for me it's way cheaper to get a gallon of acetone (or whatever) and just do the refills. There's also a tip (or maybe tips) you can use for painting. Or get your WD40 in liquid form and quit paying for the production cost of the can every go around. Heck, you could probably use one in the kitchen to spray vegetable oil on pans. The possibilities are endless. Definitely handy to have around.

#17 ·
RottieJake, what are you doing, getting high off the Break Free aerosol?

I don't think the Army uses Break Free in aerosol cans.

#19 ·
Yup, it's definitely the Winchester brand that smells different. Either the propellant, or just the brand.

My buddy had a small, un-opened bottle of the liquid, and it smells the same as the gallon I bought.

I started using it on my bicycle now from one end to the other, instead of the 3 or 4 different products I was using. Makes life a lot easier. I may pick-up another gallon, simply because I got it for such a good price.

#20 ·
About 10 years ago their formula changed a bit, haven't checked the MDS to see whether or no it was a silicon or teflon they dropped, but your no longer get a milky sediment at the bottom of the bottle that had to be resuspended into the solution "shaking well" before use.

#21 ·
The difference in smell could be the propellant, like butane or propane. Those refillable aerosol cans are awesome, been meaning to get one myself so I can just buy PB Blaster by the gallon for repairing cars and various other odd jobs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.