Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Each week is devoted to an entire subject. This week is yeast raised bread doughs. Today we made brioche, started an Italian sweet bread and made some Challah bread (my favorite).

Here's my Challah bread:

It was to be made from 3 10 inch long bread rolls but we had a "operational error" and one hit the floor. Somehow I ended up being the short dude and only had two braids. It takes 3 to make the bread. So I shortened my 2 and made a third from that dough. So my loaf was shorter than every one elses but it still came out the best looking. Yes, I had done this before but this was a good day anyway. Love this smooth super rich bread.

Sarge

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
I love fresh bread, all kinds!

You should have used the dough that hit the floor Sarge, just call it... organically seasoned! ;):D

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love fresh bread, all kinds!

You should have used the dough that hit the floor Sarge, just call it... organically seasoned! ;):D
I was going to but Chef refused us permission.It was going to be baked at 350* anyway.

Started a sourdough starter this morning. Since I am going real sourdough it will take a while. Just water and flour. Let it capture wild yeast (it's in the air all around us). Discovered you can actually make beer from the "hooch" it makes.

Sarge

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
I was going to but Chef refused us permission.It was going to be baked at 350* anyway.

Started a sourdough starter this morning. Since I am going real sourdough it will take a while. Just water and flour. Let it capture wild yeast (it's in the air all around us). Discovered you can actually make beer from the "hooch" it makes.

Sarge
Yeah if you drink ale from Belgium made in the traditional way its all wild yeast. Their breweries have louvers that open and let the air from outside pass through bringing in the yeast. Its alot of what give Belgian beers their distinct taste.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah if you drink ale from Belgium made in the traditional way its all wild yeast. Their breweries have louvers that open and let the air from outside pass through bringing in the yeast. Its alot of what give Belgian beers their distinct taste.
I tought about making a barm sourdough (fake sourdough) starter using beer and was going to use a Belgian due to the wild yeast BUT then I figured out I would have to keep feeding it the beer. Not in the budget.

Eating the Challah right now. Nice beery scent, small consistent crumb and a velvet smooth creamy rich flavor.

Sarge

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Sarge, I would not survive your classes.

1. I would have an "operational error" at least once a class.
2. My Dr. would refuse to treat my diabetes because of all that sweetness that is made daily.
3. I would gain soooooooooooooo much weight dear old Santa would look skinny.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Sarge, You going to be in Texas any time soon?

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish I was in Texas. Actually almost anywhere else but Texas the most.

Going to try and make one here at home if I can get the ingredients. But I want to go with a 4 or 6 braid this time.

Whodog, no problem on the diabetes, we have a few Chefs with it so we do learn to cook around it as well.

That one little slice of bread and I'm stuffed and that was a while ago.

Sarge

Reactions: whodog

·
Registered
31,694 Posts
Hmmm Sarge......looks like something Puffin Fresh left behind or dropped, if you know what I mean!

Puffin.jpg

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm Sarge......looks like something Puffin Fresh left behind or dropped, if you know what I mean!

View attachment 25967
LOL!!! Most folks tell me it looks phallic. The funny part being when I made it the big end was the smallest end.

Sarge

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I don't do much baking, but I love bread! The best I can ever remember was from a bakery in the little town of Garrapinillos which we lived in when my Dad was stationed at Zaragoza AFB (Saragossa) in Spain. I've never been able to find its replacement! It was like French bread, but so much better.......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts