Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new t the site. Was at one of my local gun shops called the flower shop. I notice he had a shelf full of these used rough looking M85 38special revolvers. He said they are not pretty bu thy shoot, and had a good price on them. They were Brazil ploce trade ins. I was wondering if anyone has come across anyof these before? He was askng $130.00 for them. The price was right, they just needed some love and care taken to them.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I would say to check them very carefully for function and deal accordingly. Many times these are carried much and shot little. I do recall Masad saying in an article one time that he was asked to inspect and make reccommendations to straighten up a local police department and he found cartridges in belt loops so corroded he had to drive them out and the same thing happend with several revolvers with cartridges corroded and stuck in the cylinder.

Many of these firearms will be in serviceable condition, but " Buyer beware still applies" check them over good!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
That wasn't the Franklin Gunshop you were in, was it? And hey! Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There's a sticky here that will give you a good idea as to how to inspect a used revolver. You should be able to find a good one in the bunch. The price is definitely right.

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
There is another current thread that is about Brazilian Police Trade-on revolvers. They are 3"-4" Model 82s. You need to check them as thoroughly as possible. However, as they were Police issue, they have more than likely been in reserve for a number of years. They would have been checked for function prior to being placed in that reserve.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are cottrct they were 82's. They sure are tempting thou and he had enough in there to find a good one.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
If they are mechanically sound I'd ignore afew work marks for a bargain basement price of $130.
So would I.

I'd pick up one for the tackle box, and another for the glove compartment of my vehicle.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Check for rust. Especially under the grips. I just finished a refinishing project on mine, which was most limely a brother of what you so at the gun shop. Lots of pitting, but the end result is sweet :)

Cheers,
Mad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts