Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an extreme newbie to reloading so please forgive if I am being anal or ignorant. A group of us purchased a Dillon 650 and all the other gear to reload .45 and some other calibers. I have a bunch of dirty brass, so I picked up a tumbler to clean it. I tumbled a load of .45 for about 3 hours, and when I pulled it out it was clean but kind of dull. I went at one of the cases with a towel and it turned out nice and shiny. My question is: How do you get the dust and dullness off the brass before reloading? I plan on lubricating the brass for reloading, so I imagine I need to get the crud off, I just don't know how to do it efficiently for a large amount of brass.

Second question: Some of the brass is bent and scuffed around the neck (ok, no neck really but I don't know what to call it). What do I need to do to the bent brass to get it ready to reload?

dcphoto

·
Administrator
18,297 Posts
Congratulations on your new Dillon 650! I've been using one for quite some time now!

Walnut Hull does produce some dust on the brass, so I use a mix of mostly ground Corn-Cob and some Coarse Ground Walnut Hull. My Wizards-Brew for Tumbling Media is as Follows:

1.) 80% ground Corn-Cob
2.) 20% Coarse Ground Walnut Hull
3.) Iosso Brass Polish
4.) Thumblers Tumbler Jewelers Rouge

When tumbled for about 2 hours, Brass will be largely dust free, Clean, and Shiney. The fresher the Mixture, the less time the Brass will need to be tumbled. When Fresh, the Mixture may clean brass in only 1 hour, but go 2 anyways, to be sure. When the Media starts to produce Dust on the cases and/or Polishing/Cleaning takes more than 3 hours, it is time to replace the Media.

There are also many other Brass Cleaning Formulations posted elsewhere, well worth considering!
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=3367.0

On Case Mouth Dents, some 1911 .45's produce them all the time. Sometimes impact on rocky ground or a cement range floor will also dent the Case Mouth, but this is usually quite minor.

If the Case Mouth Denting is severe, a needle nose plyers will straighten out the mouth some, the sizing and case mouth reforming during the loading process, will properly reform them also. You just need to make sure that the case mouth expander can enter the case mouth without crushing the shell case.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What would you suggest for cleaning the brass I have that is grimey? I thought about a large alcohol soaked rag and just agitating them in the rag, but I don't know if this would work.

Or should I just make a new mixture of media and run the gunky stuff through again?

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
Just put it in the tumbler. Get any packed in dirt and such out, of course, but the media will take care of anything on the surface of the brass.

No lube necessary if you (and you will on a progressive) are using carbide dies. Clean brass will keep the sizer in good shape.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much polish and rouge do you add?

·
Administrator
18,297 Posts
There will be directions on the Iosso Container, but typically 2 capfuls to a Gallon sized Tumbler. As for the Thumber Tumbler Jewelers Rouge, 1 Teaspoon will do very nicely. Don't go too nuts with the Case Polish. Cleaning will be of primary importance, Polishing is secondary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts