Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I shoot most often at a range close to my home, and have shot there for years, and brass has been no problem. I always pick up my own brass, and sometimes -- on a lucky day -- I'll be next to a guy or gal who has new boxed ammo and doesn't reload and it gets ejected right to me -- that's like a birthday present!. ( And, yes - I always ask before I pick it up.) And when the range is "cold", I'm not too proud to pick up anything I can use and looks new.

BUT NOW - - - - - - the range has big signs up saying: You're always welcome to recover your own brass, but any other brass on the ground, or in the brass buckets, is property of the range. Shooters who take this brass will be asked to leave.

Wow! I asked the RSO, who I've known a long-time, what gives? He said ammo, and brass, prices are so high now, they can't afford not to do it. They pay a kid to sort through it at night and bag it up by calibers. When the range is cold, the RSO has a lawn-sweeper deal and scoops up what's laying on the deck. So he told me "by all means pick up any brass on the deck near you, Chuck, but just don't go cherry-picking through the buckets if you see my boss around."

My 38s and 357 always go into my own bag anyway, and I only look for 9mm and 45 acp ejects. What surprises me, though, is the amount of "treasure" on the deck. I don't reload 45 LC or 44 mag anymore, but I know the brass is damned expensive. I'm always surprised at a guy or gal who is popping away with a Taurus Judge or a cowboy action piece and throwing the brass on the ground. Given that each empty is now worth about a nickel, that's like leaving money behind. From now on, if I spot a non-reloader with any rimmed cartridge, I'll ask if I can have the brass. There always someone who'll swap me for a caliber I can use.

·
Registered
20,098 Posts
There are a lot of new reloaders (or hopeful reloaders) in the market now as well. A Dept. of Conservation range where I shoot a lot has just gotten much more strict about brass.

I do well at sanctioned events at clubs - one in particular where no one picks brass until your last stage is put away - my pleasure! :cool:

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
That reminds me.
Leeds Firing Range always had a sign that said you must pick up your brass, trash and targets when finished shooting, but it was never really enforced, so there was always a lot of brass laying around.
Now they have a sign that says it is a $225 fine if you don't clean up and you get caught. (not that I've ever seen the Brass Police there)
Most shooters do anyway, but one fellow shot 50 rounds of .38 SPC and left, which is how I got that brass.

·
Registered
18,383 Posts
At the outdoor range I use I have always picked up my brass and that of others close by after asking if they wanted their brass or not. And the range always told you to pick up your brass when it was convenient. My most recent visit there they were putting up signs that you could not "solicit" other shooters for their brass, which of course I did all the time before. So now as I'm picking up my brass I point out to my neighbors that I want to make sure I'm not picking up any of their brass as I can not solicit them for it. They just sweep it over to me! As long as it's on the ground it belongs to the shooter. Once it goes in the bucket it belongs to the range.

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
I pick up my brass. Actually that's not true - I made a brass catcher so I don't HAVE to pick it up anymore. So much easier this way...
First, that is a neat little gizmo you fixed up to catch brass. I like it.
Second, that rectangular slot you have to shoot through.
I have been to several different ranges here and have never seen that. It made me chuckle a bit.
If they used that at our indoor range that entire wall would be shot out after 3 days.
I am glad I am always alone when at the indoor range. I find bullets lodged in the overhead beams 10
feet from the firing line. The farther down range you go the worse it gets. Kind of scary.

·
Registered
16,314 Posts
BUT NOW - - - - - - the range has big signs up saying: You're always welcome to recover your own brass, but any other brass on the ground, or in the brass buckets, is property of the range. Shooters who take this brass will be asked to leave.
I personally understand where the Range is coming from. there's a whole secondary market for brass right now. If you pick up your brass, well, it's yours and they understand and respect that, but there have also been tons of stories of guys who will hit up ranges without even shooting to scrounge brass. That is theft. Every range I've been to except one sees it similarly. If you bought it and you shot it, it's your brass and the range has no right to it excluding certain conditions (brass goes down range on an active line, etc). But if you're picking up everything brass including what you do not own, you're stealing it from someone. I've talked to some of the RO's at the ranges I go to and they honestly dont care if you pick up an oddball here and there. I even sweep up the entire area of the range, pick out my brass to refill my boxes of what I've shot and the rest goes into their buckets. I do that because I was taught very young that should you use something of someone else's, you return it in the same or better condition.

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
First, that is a neat little gizmo you fixed up to catch brass. I like it.
Second, that rectangular slot you have to shoot through.
I have been to several different ranges here and have never seen that. It made me chuckle a bit.
If they used that at our indoor range that entire wall would be shot out after 3 days.
I am glad I am always alone when at the indoor range. I find bullets lodged in the overhead beams 10
feet from the firing line. The farther down range you go the worse it gets. Kind of scary.
The story behind the wall is interesting. The range is 100 yards, but it used to be 300. On the far side of the 300 yard berm is Indian Creek, and beyond that it used to be nothing but fields. 'Till some genius decided that the 'impact area' would be a good place to setup a softball complex. Then they started complaining about the potential for bullets interrupting their games. Always seemed to me like they should have thought about that first, and built the damn softball thing somewhere else. First they shortened the range and heaped up a REALLY big berm, then they built that crazy wall. There's a reason it says "Fort Desperation" on it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I hear you. Years ago, I would go over to the public range about a month before deer/elk season & you could get all the once fired brass you could want. 30/06, 270, 308, 300 win mag, 7 mag, 30-30, 243 all were common. Now, there is a guy from the local Lion's Club---he collects it all. No more picking it up.

·
Super Moderator
40,796 Posts
I went to the range yesterday evening, I can always fill up a 5 gal bucket half way in about 20 minutes. Not this time. There was very little brass laying around. I did find 60 rounds of 5.56, which is rare so I grabbed them up. We are prmitted to pick up any brass we want as long as others do not want it. The brass buckets are also fair game, however most people are to lazy to pick it up so the buckets don't get used much.

·
Super Moderator
36,395 Posts
It's just so nice to write my own range rules. My range has one member.....ME....:D Guests are welcome to the brass on the ground, but if it's there, it's rimfire...:D

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
It's just so nice to write my own range rules. My range has one member.....ME....:D Guests are welcome to the brass on the ground, but if it's there, it's rimfire...:D
Same here. But I pick up the .22 brass.
6 pounds 12 ounces.
80 cents/pound at the recycler, but a permit from the Sheriff is needed to sell it. (Stupid non-ferrous metal law)
Not worth the gas to go into town to get the permit.
Yellow Metal Brass Glass

·
Super Moderator
36,395 Posts
There was a guy had this gizmo sorta like a pecan picker upper that would hit the club range in Port Lavaca every several months and sell the brass. He got about 80 bucks every time he did it. He'd always try to hit it after the Coast Guard had qualified. Man, they littered the place. LOL I got my share off that range, though. Lots of .40 since the cops used it and I don't even have a .40, gave most of the .40 to my SIL. I used to mine free lead out of the backstop, too. I sorta miss that part of it, the free bullets. :D

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
the only problem with My private range is just finding the brass. Any tips on what to do to the ground to make it easier to find brass.
I haven't tried this yet (though plan on doing it next shooting-in-the-pasture trip), but I would suggest putting a tarp or painters' plastic covering on the ground, and shooting from there.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I always clean up my brass, even if to just dispose of it instead of trashing the range. Because I shoot outdoors and there is snow, I haven't been in a month but last I knew the range didn't care what you took. It's ALL OVER the ground sad to say and many guys just leave it. Gonna start bringing a bucket. That will get me brass I may or may not need but more importantly, clean up the range. I'll donate what I can't use.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
I have two brass catchers for my AR-15; one holds 60 rounds. The rest is picked up off of the floor at the range. I have a friendly arrangement with the RSO that I can pick up all my brass and if any goes forward of the line, I'm allowed to collect only what I lost from the range brass bucket. It is an honor system and I don't stray from it. All of the range brass is cleaned and reloaded by the range's parent company. They make a killing, too.

Even if you do not reload, never throw away your brass. You may need it someday for swapping or reloading. I swap brass I receive from friends for stuff I want.

·
Registered
20,098 Posts
At the outdoor range I use I have always picked up my brass and that of others close by after asking if they wanted their brass or not. And the range always told you to pick up your brass when it was convenient. My most recent visit there they were putting up signs that you could not "solicit" other shooters for their brass, which of course I did all the time before. So now as I'm picking up my brass I point out to my neighbors that I want to make sure I'm not picking up any of their brass as I can not solicit them for it. They just sweep it over to me! As long as it's on the ground it belongs to the shooter. Once it goes in the bucket it belongs to the range.
Everybody's doing the tighten up! I'm ready to start a brass bucket at home for defective rounds that I currently toss in the trash. Even once a year a small windfall would be nice!

Reactions: Lmstncwby

·
Registered
383 Posts
A range near me used to sell the brass (dirty, but sorted) for $1.50 a pound. 5 pounds of .45 Auto yielded a little under 400 cases. But no more. They just stopped selling it for whatever reason that remains secret.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.