Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up this beauty a couple of weeks ago, got her stripped down and cleaned out and finally got to the range on Tuesday night. The first 3 mags (24 rounds) were amazing. This thing shoots perfect. Then on the 3rd round of the 4th mag it jammed. The spent casing was still seated all the way forward in the chamber and the next round was jammed up against it. I dropped the mag, cleared the jam and refired it. Same thing... I dropped the mag again and cleared it at which time I did a quick take down behind the line (with safety permisson from RO, I was the only one there besides my brother and his wife). I noticed the foot of the extractor had broken off flush with the cutout.

I got to calling CS on my lunch break today and they sent me a return slip (after saying they wouldn't because the gun was manufactured in late 2010 and there was no way it was new). I calmly explained that is was new old stock from gunbroker and he finally agreed to send a slip on the condition I send a gb receipt saying I bought it new. The service guy (Noel) explained there wsa a 2-4 week turn time. She will be going out tomorrow via FedEx. If she gets back in the condition of the first 27 rounds I will be more than happy.

Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
24,940 Posts
Taurus will take care of you.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Seems the extractors either break or never break on the PT1911. I keep my fingers crossed in hopes that mine keeps on extracting. Lots of guys on here keep a spare on hand, just in case. You can watch a youtube video to see how to strip the PT1911 slide and replacement is pretty easy to do. Taurus will get you fixed up. Let us know how it goes when you get it back.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not worried or disappointed at this point. I am pretty sure it will be taken care of and will give them every opportunity to impress me before I get upset about an unforseeable mechanical failure. I do love me some warranty! While I will miss it while it's away, it's a range gun so I won't miss it for carry.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
29,959 Posts
I don't know your level of experience, so no offense is intended.

However, if rounds cycle & eject "by hand" your extractor, ejector & magazine are working and your "Double Feeds" could have been caused by "limp wristing" under-powered loads, or both.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I would have asked C.S. if they would just ship you an extractor and replace it yourself. Extractors are easy to replace and your down time probably would be considerably less. I had a extractor break in my PT 1911 BHW when it was new they sent me 3 extractors free of charge.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No offense taken. I am new to the 1911 world but not pistols or Taurus or Taurus .45s. I was having no issues until the first failure and had no success after. I didn't mention in the original post that I did try to hand cycle snap caps through and had 1 out of about 30 attempts eject and that one barely cleared the port. Prior to firing and the extractor breaking, hand cycling the snap caps would propel them at least enough to easily catch them in my free hand. I carry everyday and shoot the PT145 often and am familiar with limp wristing as it is a common issue when I let others fire it (and with me on my first range trip with it). I was using WWB 230gr fmj's which should not be underpowered. If you look at the attached pic in the op, you can clearly see the broken extractor or am crazy?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would have asked C.S. if they would just ship you an extractor and replace it yourself. Extractors are easy to replace and your down time probably would be considerably less. I had a extractor break in my PT 1911 BHW when it was new they sent me 3 extractors free of charge.
Brand new gun and under warranty with free shipping, I figured I would let them take care of it. If that were not the case I would have gone that route.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
you might order and extra extractor have em send with you gun they are under 10.00 6500 rounds thru mine now

jhp

Reactions: olfarhors and oso

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
What ammo were you using? I ask because a while back I used some cheap (very cheap) steel cases stuff that had this laquor on it that turned to glue in the Texas summer and a hot firearm. I actually had to use a screwdriver down the muzzle to get the spent casing out of my PT 1911.

·
Registered
37,064 Posts
Murphys Law!
see if you had a extra extractor then it would not have broke!
simple as that!
So i am sitting here with a bunch of 1911's and 1911 45 caliber extractors just waiting for one to pop!
so I buy a PT1911 in 38 Super, guess what broke??--He-He-He!
and No the extractors are not the same!
so I now have 2 extra 38 Super extractors and now well past 2000 rounds through it and guess what??
no broken extractor in it!
But i got to check and see if i need a extractor for my new 10 MM 1911, cause if I don't get one , well you know!!!
Which actually I can ask?
Do any of you guys know if the 10MM takes the same extractor as the 45 acp?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I don't know what RIA uses but some manufacturers do use the .45 acp extractor,some use one for .40 S&W/10 mm and some use 9mm,.38 super,.40 S&W/10mm. So i guess i didn't help you much.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
It could always be worse. The last one that broke on me was this past winter, just when the gun buying panic was
at it's worst, and gun parts of every make and model were nearly impossible to find. It took me over a month, many
calls, and a very thorough Taurus CE Rep to get me back in business again. Eventually, when I got an email from Midway
saying they had extractors back in stock, so I ordered 3 so that I won't be caught with my pants down like that again.

Reactions: darbo and olfarhors

·
Registered
37,064 Posts
I don't know what RIA uses but some manufacturers do use the .45 acp extractor,some use one for .40 S&W/10 mm and some use 9mm,.38 super,.40 S&W/10mm. So i guess i didn't help you much.
Well thanks for the advice!
SO you are saying that it might take a 9MM/ 38 Super/ 40 S & W/ 10MM, 45 acp extractor then?
Just joking!
I didn't know if it being a 40 cal the 45 extractor might work?
can see the .355 being a lot different than the .451?
Push come to shove i will just order a Colt Delta Elite 10MM extractor.
I need to call RIA and ask about the recoil spring poundage anyway, so will check on the extractor then.
Thanks for the reply OSO.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FYI - Just called TCS to have them put an extra extractor in the box when they send it back just in case (would have paid for it) and was told that the extractor is now a restricted item. Any broken extractors will need to be sent in or replaced aftermarket. The CS guy was really cool, he even said he has a 1911 and thoght it was ridiculous but rules are rules. I also asked if they could swap out the ambi safety with a left side only. He put me on hold and went and asked a smith, they don't carry them at all. Oh well.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Cool heads prevailed and secured free shipping on NOS, very well done. You catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You catch even more with BS!!!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

·
Registered
37,064 Posts
NOW why would an extractor be restricted???
Might as well restrict the grip screws too!
I have no probelm using a aftermarket extractor as long as the Manufacture makes the sereis 80 setup near to the size/operation of everyone else.
the main reason that i have always ordered taurus extractors(and other common 1911 parts) was to try to do business with them and their extractor holds the guts in the pistol.
No way i am am going to pay 40-50 bucks to ship a 1911 to Miami for an extractor.
Series 80 delete here we come!

·
Registered
37,064 Posts
ON a positive note:
took the old Duo-tone out to the range last week, been months and months since I shot this pistol.
out of the box it was a average shooter, tore into it and found a warped (bent) trigger bow and some nasty burrs in the trigger bow channel.
went ahead and just smoothed everything out while in there as well as a through cleaning.
Really made a nice shooter with just a little work.
I had forgotten how well this thing shoots, has one of the shortest trigger resets of any of my 1911 and a nice crisp break.
Nice tight 50 shot groups in the paper bad guy.
and its easy on the eyes to look at as well.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts