Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok everyone this is my first post on this site and so far it is great. Now my question is this, I was calling around to try and find a heavier recoil spring and I talked to a beretta gunsmith. I asked him many questions and he said I pretty much have a worthless gun and I will only get a couple hundred rounds through it and it will break. Now I did a lot of research on this gun before I bought it and nobody on any forum or discussion board had anything bad to say about them. In fact most people say they have put thousands of rounds through their guns with no problems with only a heavier recoil spring to take the punishment. Most of their guns are 15 years old, now I must say that I shoot factory loads and no more than 124 grain load through it and at the moment it is my main carry gun. Is this guy just a beretta fan boy or does he speak the truth, also I bought the gun from my cousin brand new never fired and at that point the 10 day warranty deadline had passed so if this thing breaks I think im screwed unless, I have him make up a fake reciept and then send the card in with it. I hope that works, any feedback would be great thanks everyone.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Re: Bad gun or beretta fanboy.

What type of gun is it? A Taurus PT-92? If so, the guy's just hackin' and sailing his personal opinion. PT-92's are tougher than hell and have a lifetime warantee for life, even if you're not the orginal purchaser. But still. What model gun is it?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Welcome aboard. You have a fine gun there, don't let the salesman feed you a line of bull. Understand that dealers get discounts on certain brands of guns and they make a higher turnover by pushing those guns. Also, some people feel that the more expensive the better. I don't buy that for a minute!

The PT92 is a fine firearm. In fact, many people like the PT92 better than the Beretta because of the location of the safety. I have read many posts about these guns, and 99% of them have been positive.

The Taurus warranty is a lifetime TRANSFERRABLE warranty. So, it doesn't matter who sends in the warranty card. The warranty is for the life of the gun, not the owner. It can be bought and sold 50 times and it'll still be under warranty.

Enjoy your gun, go out and shoot it. If you do happen to have problems, it's covered under warranty. Some folks here might know more about which springs to buy. I'm sure somebody will have an answer on that soon.

Congratulation on a nice firearm. You will be happy with it!

Todd

·
Registered
625 Posts

I postd a response under your other post. You have a fine gun with a lifetime transferrable warranty. No matter who owns the gun, it is still under warranty. Some people never send in the warranty card. It really makes no difference.

The PT92 is a good gun. The salesman was just trying to get you to buy a Beretta. He probably makes more money on them.

Enjoy the gun, it's a good one!

Todd

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yes sir it would be a 92 af with rail, and you say I should be able to send in the card for the warranty? I figured that guy was just saying that to try to get me pissed about not buying beretta, which I thought about untill I saw the price difference. I like the way this gun shoots and I will shoot it more when it warms up here in washington. Thanks for the info and sorry about not putting the model in the post, I had it in my original post in a different section, and I forgot when I moved it here. A few other questions that I have are where to get a 15 pound wolf recoil spring, and an upgraded locking block? Also a ball park price on these items would be nice so I don't get ripped off, thanks again.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Yeah sorry I posted that in the wrong place, thanks for the help. Should I try to send in the card or just not worry about it? I want the gun to be protected in case anything major happens to it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Merged topics. mfm

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
With the Lifetime Transferable Warranty, don't worry about the card, you're covered. Nice huh?

As far as the springs, you could either go to the source or try a reputable aftermarket sales place. Heres a couple of places to checkout:

http://www.gunsprings.com/ Here's Wolffs front door.

http://www.brownells.com/ You could also try Brownells.

As far as the locking block, I'm not sure. If it was me I'd check Brownells first.

Steelheart

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just ordered a 15 pound recoil spring, $11.84 after shipping I am really happy about that. Should be here next week sometime.

·
Administrator
17,594 Posts
Beware of "Gunsmiths" with certain prejudices! Never ask a "Gunsmith" who only works on "certain makes", particularly 1911's, to work on anything else!

You did a very wise thing in getting the 15 lb extra power recoil spring. I believe you'll be very happy with it! ;D

Have a well worn but still very good, PT92. Accurate and very Reliable.

Mine has the new long life Beretta Locking Block and a recently installed (at 17K rounds) Wolff 15 lb recoil spring and Firing Pin Spring installed.

1992 Vintage Taurus PT92AFS with 22,000 rounds on it

·
Registered
127 Posts
My PT-92 had a problem with shooting low and to the left. I found that the gun was fine, it just didn't like the ammo that I was using. I was using the Winchester "white box" target ammo, normally found at Wal Mart. I changed ammo and it was fine. Certian guns just don't respond well to certain ammo. My dad's smith and wesson likes it just fine. Otherwise I have over 1000 rounds through my PT-92 without a problem.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a couple of questions about the locking block, where did you get it and how much was it? I want to take some precautions and take care of things that other people have had problems with. And now I will choose more wisely when talking to gunsmiths he talked like the thing was made of jello and the beretta's are made of titanium you could tell he was really bias.

·
Administrator
17,594 Posts
My Beretta Locking Block ($25 U.S.) came from FAC wholsale gun parts, who are now, unfortunately, out of Business. You might try Gun Parts Corp. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

·
Administrator
17,594 Posts
You are most Welcome!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts