Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...for $13.95 each at ammo to go. I haven't seen new ones around in quite a while, and for the price they're hard to beat. I just ordered three. Get 'em while they got 'em boys and girls - 50 Cal Ammo Can sale

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
thanks, I'm going to grab a few. The price is certainly right!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just checked the site again, and they've got fourteen reviews on these cans. 12 gave 'em 5 stars, and the other two gave 'em 4. If they're anything like the can I got 223 Fiocchi ammo in from them, then these will be good 'uns. I had to pick some up. I've got a pretty big range bag, and I've got so much ammo in the damn thing, and with everything else that's in it I can hardly pick it up! :D

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
These have to be some of the most versatile and durable storage items out there. I have a M249 can that I have been using for at least twenty years to store all of my firearms cleaning stuff.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing that grabbed my attention about these is that they're brand new. Most of the time when you buy surplus cans they're all dinged up and rusty, and sometimes the gaskets are shot. These make great containers for all kinds of stuff - ammo, first aid supplies, tools - you name it. I always hold onto the desiccant bags that come with electronics equipment and the like. When the silica gel turns pink it's saturated, but thirty seconds in the microwave and they're good as new again. I always throw a couple in the can with the ammo to keep things nice and dry. These cans are sturdy too, and even fully loaded with heavy ammo the top won't bow when you pick 'em up.

Years ago I had some of the dinged variety, and I decided to clean 'em up and paint 'em. I had one hanging from my relatively low basement ceiling. I got doing something around the hanging can, and managed to hit my head right on the corner of it. Made me madder than hell, but I said to myself "The can didn't move. That was all me." The second time I did it five minutes later I said the same thing. The third time I just turned around and hit it with a very stiff left hook. The can just shook it off, but the doctor thought it was pretty funny. :rolleyes::D

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I bought 2 new cans for $15 each at the last gunshow I attended.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
How many 20 count 5.56 boxes can fit in one of these boxes?

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How many 20 count 5.56 boxes can fit in one of these boxes?
If you take it out of the boxes you can get 1000 rounds in one. Around XMas I ordered a thousand rounds of Fiocchi 223 that came loose packed in a brand new ammo can. It was lined with cardboard, and was pretty much full to the top. I don't know how many you can get in one when they're still in the boxes - you rarely find the internal dimensions of these cans perfectly fit boxes of ammo so you end up with some 'air gaps.'

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For three of them shipping to Ohio was $15.88, and as big and bulky as they are I was expecting it to be a lot worse. That put my per can total at $19.24 ea. I've always found ATG to be pretty fair on shipping charges, which is part of the reason I buy from them regularly. You're right though - it cranks the price up. Knowing how long these things last, and being new it's still a good deal from my perspective.

·
Registered
708 Posts
What the heck. Just ordered four new ones. A lifetime investment. Never seen new ones offered before. If they are nice I'll order more.

·
Registered
7,540 Posts
Thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
overseas we had our 5.56 ammo packed in cans that were slightly larger than a 50 cal can. They held 840 rounds packaged in 20 round boxes. I can't remember how tight it was but 840 rounds is a combat load for a fire team, coincidence, I think not.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
overseas we had our 5.56 ammo packed in cans that were slightly larger than a 50 cal can. They held 840 rounds packaged in 20 round boxes. I can't remember how tight it was but 840 rounds is a combat load for a fire team, coincidence, I think not.
Back in the day we had five man fire teams, and a basic load was 210 rounds. That's 1050 rounds. Has something changed since then?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Kind of. 840 rounds is a combat load for 4 guys, each fire team is also gonna have a SAW, that's link ammo and comes in it's own 800 round can, loaded in plastic "pork chops".

There's your 5 man fire team

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Kind of. 840 rounds is a combat load for 4 guys, each fire team is also gonna have a SAW, that's link ammo and comes in it's own 800 round can, loaded in plastic "pork chops".

There's your 5 man fire team
That splainify's it. :D I forgot the boys get better toys these days than we did. SOP when I was in was for one man per fire team to be designated auto rifle, and everyone else just fired semi-auto. They didn't give the auto rifle any more ammo than anyone else though, so he had to be pretty judicious with his trigger work. Just out of curiosity, how many rounds do they carry for the SAW?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
pork chops hold 200 rounds.

What most of our guys did, was put a 100 round "patrol pouch" on the gun, carried 3-4 pork chops on the vest and another pork chop either in an assault pack or placed a pork chop in a pouch on the back of another guy in the truck, or two guys carried an extra pork chop, depending on the intended hump for the day.

typically 700-1000 rounds readily available for the full-fun boys.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do they still have one machinegun squad per platoon, or do the SAWs have that covered?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts