Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please take it easy on me I'm a beginner shooter, first handgun, and new here.

So, after drooling over my buddies 24/7 I finally purchased the new G2 9mm. It looked great, but of courses full of grease fresh out of the case. I field striped it and cleaned it to the best of my ability given I had never cleaned a handgun before.

I was very excited to put a ton of brass through it yesterday. However, after about 3 1/2 magazines the firing pin stopped striking, SA or DA the trigger would not strike. After I stripping it at the range, it looks like the firing pin is hitting the sides of the Trigger Bar Stop??? I was using Winchester 9mm Luger 115 grain which is suppose to be good ammo.

This morning after looking online I found a video on youtube on how to take the Firing pin out and cleaning it. This was not done during my first field stripe/cleaning because it did not show you how to do it in the manual.

Finally my question... ...Has anyone else had this happen to them on a new 24/7 G2 9mm 4.2" barrel 17+1 cap. And will, just a good cleaning of the firing pin take care of this issue. Or do you think I have a lemon, and I need to send it back?

Please help, and thank you in advance.

·
Registered
37,206 Posts
well don't own a G-2, but several 24/7 Pro D/S.
theres really no way of telling if thats the problem or not, but i would not be surprized if it is.
first i would purchase some Gunscrubber pressurized cleaner and throughly spray every nook and cranny (including down the firing pin hole) , then relube it and take it to the range.
if this works then great!
if this does not work then you can strip it past the field strip in the manual and manually clean the striker/etc, but are you sure you can put it back together?
there are instructions I think in the sticky section, but not sure of the difference in the g-2 and the pro's?
or simply contact Taurus and ask them to pick it up for repair.
as for a lemon?
who knows, not really sure a single malfunction that may be a owners fault constitutes having a lemon?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply olfarhors.

I just finished pulling the firing pin and took it apart. I did have to pull the firing pin just the field stip it, because the trigger would not fire. You have to pull the trigger to move the slide forward. Anyway, everything seemed to be fine with the firing pin and now I think the problem is in the trigger some wher. Remember I'm new her and this is my first handgun. After inspecting the trigger mech. It seems like the trigger assembly (for lack of better word) isn't lifting the inner mech. inside to let the striker/pin hit the primmer. Not sure if I can fix this with my limited knowledge nor do I think I should have to on a brand new gun, I only shoot about thirty rounds. I hope they fix it and fast, or my thoughts about Taurus and ther so called craftmanship will not be to high.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Does it go 'click' when you pull the trigger(unloaded of course) Hold it vertical and put a new pencil with the eraser first in the barrel. Pull the trigger and see if the pencil will shoot out of the barrel. That will tell you if the firing pin is striking the primer hard enough to ignite the powder.

·
Registered
828 Posts
the goop they use to ship it is pretty intense. I'm a 24/7 G1 owner myself, so cleaning the firing pin and channel was important. Same thing with my 740.

Clean it, and do that eraser test if you can. We may be able to go from there. And welcome to TA, by the way!

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
Another question I would have is whether you dry fired it before you put a single round down range. I've noticed that a lot of people who have dry fired their 24/7's without the use of snap caps or the pencil trick tend to have problems with the firing pin striking the primer correctly. Hope you get it figured out soon and have many days of happy shooting with it.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
the goop they use to ship it is pretty intense. I'm a 24/7 G1 owner myself, so cleaning the firing pin and channel was important. Same thing with my 740.

Clean it, and do that eraser test if you can. We may be able to go from there. And welcome to TA, by the way!
I have a G2 40 and as stated clean it I found all kinds of gunk in mine even after two cleanings. After the second cleaning I went to the range it fired fine for the first 100 rounds or so but when it heated up the grease and lube that was in it melted and freed up the crud that was still in it from the factory and started causing feed issues and extraction problems. I didn't however take out firing pin the first two cleanings but did the third time and it improved I also used canned air to blow out all the gunk out of nooks crannies I got a lot of crud out of it. Then I re-lubed it and put a small amount of grease on the slide guides. After a couple hundred rounds it broke in fine, fires wonderfully and eats any ammo brand I feed it. I have not had any issues with it now for about 700 round or so I have around 1000 rounds through it total. :icon_ peace:

I dry fire practice with mine and also use snap caps neither has been an issue. As a new shooter this will greatly improve your shooting and is very inexpensive it even helps older shooters trigger control is crucial.

Reactions: bre346

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all and thanks for the advise. The pencil trick would not work, the problem is that it won't click. Yes I dry fired it without snap cap the dealer said that should not be a problem because the way striker pins are made today. Anyway, after only having it for 72 hr it is on it's way to Florida.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Hey guys amazing!!!!!
Today I get to know various things about guns.
Hi HenryJennifer I see this was your first post when you get a chance go to introduce yourself. I learn something new every day. Welcome to the forum there's a great bunch of people on here.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Hi all and thanks for the advise. The pencil trick would not work, the problem is that it won't click. Yes I dry fired it without snap cap the dealer said that should not be a problem because the way striker pins are made today. Anyway, after only having it for 72 hr it is on it's way to Florida.
Sounds like what happened with my Milpro PT145 after just 21 rounds. You pull the trigger and nothing, it won't engage the striker. Kind of feels like pulling the trigger with the slide off. It is back in Miami as well.

·
Registered
552 Posts
"Cleaning" a new gun - especially a 'traveled from Brazil' gun means more than wiping out "most" of the crud before that first range trip.

As "olfarhors" noted -- "...Gunscrubber pressurized cleaner and throughly spray every nook and cranny (including down the firing pin hole) , then relube it and take it to the range."

Without that "scrubbing" it's a crap shoot and NOT unique to Taurus; they just go the extra mile to protect the guns in transit - and believe the new owner will get it ALL out before firing the gun. They SHOULD BE correct -- but not always does the "scrubbing" take place. New and former gun owners alike are in too big a urry to go shooting and ignore the obvious all too often.

I swear --- every gun shoppe worth its salt should included a thorough teaching session about "cleaning" AND to go a bit beyond and lessen the complaints THEY GET --- the gun should be very thoroughly cleaned and tested before it goes to the hands of "my first gun OR old time" gun owners. The problems would surely diminish and the trips to Florida (and elsewhere) would drop considerably.

MOST GUN SHOPPES do a dance when the cash changes hands; their job, in their opinion, is 'done'. This is what most of them see: Emoticon Yellow Smiley Smile Icon

·
Registered
37,206 Posts
I have a Taurus 24/7 and like it.Always been reliable, the only complaint is the long trigger pull.
Can we all say "Short trigger reset"???
learn to use your reset on the trigger and you will find a much more accurate pistol , fast recovery time for follow up shots and a better operating pistola!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Welcome HenryJennifer. This a great forum. Please look through all the 'stickies'. There is a ton of good advice in there. Pay special attention to the safety items. Get some training from a professional instructor. Owing guns is useful, even life-saving, and fun. If you're serious, take the training for a concealed handgun license. That gives you greater knowledge and confidence .

Reactions: james
1 - 16 of 16 Posts