Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever wonder how many interior walls that 9mm in the bedside gun would penetrate? Will that super duper hollow point ammo expand after going through a denim jacket or sweatshirt? Well check this out.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

A fellow by the name of O_P who post over at AR15 and a buddy started this as a what if project and the results became that web site. While not scientific by any means it is interesting reading.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
I thought that windshield thing was pretty neat, I've always been told a windshield will make a HP expand. I think they were using regular amm though, anyone know any truth to the HP and a windshield?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I've heard that windshields are difficult to penetrate for handgun rounds. It's one of the reasons for the rise in tactical type ammo, ala Federals HST which was designed for that type of stuff. The other thing with windshields is that they are mounted at an angle which can cause the incomming projectile to bounce off.

That said, the only time I've shot at a windshield (junked car of mine) the 10mm 180gr lead slugs went through just fine. But this was real close range and the car was a 1975 Datsun. I'd expect newer vehicles to have tougher stuff.

Steelheart

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
Windshields are actually part of the integral safety of a car. The car is designed so that the windshield will aid in the roof supporting the weight of the car.

Yes, they ave gotten stronger over the years. The DOT kinda frowned on seeing people being thrown out of the front as projectiles.

·
32,653 Posts
Please remeber one thing folks. This is only an indication what might happen. not necessarily what will happen. Water jug testing and gelatin testing are nice indicaters, but are not real flesh,blood,or bone. There is the "Jello Junkies" and the "Morgue Monsters" way of thinking that are popular and in vogue right know. Actual shootings are the only real world evidence that is timely, but there are some flaws with it and all variables cannot be taken into consideration. Neither can testing in the lab. One certain fact is that not all the variables that have to do with the mental as well as physical have not been ascertained yet. Kind of like forcasting the weather. We know a lot of facts, but there are too many not fully understood unknowns out ther yet to be fully accurate. Jello Junkies believe that testing in media under scientific standards are the only way to prove bullet incapacitation. The Morgue monsters believe that only actual shooting count. There are discrepancies with all the data collected on either side. Both hav egood points also. The truth as always lies somewhere in between. So before everybody gets jazzed about the box of truth or other means of predicting bullet performance in flesh, please take a hard look at all the factors and educate yourself thoroughly on ballistics and bullet performance. Many good books and DVDs have been produced on this subject alone. Remember. Being objective is hard to do and being subjective is a trap easily walked in to. I for one come down in the middle, but feel actual data for all its possible flaws is somewhat more realistic than lab testing. The Thompson- Legaurde tests on animals was a complete sham. Only a few animals were actually shot. Some of the same animals were shot with different calibers and there was no scientific criterea set up for this. The .30 Mauser actually dropped one beef cow quicker than the .45ACP. Bullet placement in each animal in the tests was not in the same spot. Nor were any other factors constant during the "test". Some "beeves" were shot multiple times with a caliber and then a different caliber pistol was picked up and the same animal shot multiple times with that. How does anybody get proveable data from that? You can't. Those of you who like the large calibers, fine and dandy. Those who like the fast light bullets,fine also. Handgun bullets regardless of caliber are all poor "stoppers" compared to rifles or larger caliber weapons. There are many stories of failure to stop for all calibers. Many are anecdotal. I will not get into caliber debates or high velocity versus low velocity,big bore debate.All have good and bad points. Shot placement will do it every time and there are too many circumstances that have to be taken into consideration for each story. A persons mental state when shot even enters into the shooting scenario. High performance ammo from any of the manufacturers will get the job done. Yes there are special cases. Different types of bullets for different tactical situations. Just match the bullet to your needs for most of your realistic world scenarios. Will know kick the soap box back under the bed. ;D :) :eek:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Excellent website - thanks! I am impressed with their common sense approach, with good photos and data.

"Results may vary" but this is a good starting point to understand the ballistic effects of various rounds.

My favorites were sandbag testing (I'm a retired GI - always wondered if they were safe enough), shooting through a windshield, and Dirty Harry blows the padlock off the door ;D

·
Registered
161 Posts
I found this thread while reading some of the older pages. I thought some fo the newer users might find the site interesting. I sure did!

·
Administrator
35,530 Posts
I wouldn't expect anything less than a stout 357 magnum round to go through a windshield consistently.....9mm, 40 cal, 45 acp, very likely just don't have the oomph needed to do this consistently.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for posting. I've been visiting the site for a year or so and they always have something interesting or new.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Thanks for posting. A very interesting website with some good, practical information.

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
I saw something there about the Taurus "Judge" quite a while ago.

Posted it here, and some folks didn't like what they had to say :???:

Always seemed like a good website to me :D

·
Registered
663 Posts
Whenever someone mentions to me that they want or have a shotgun for home defense I send them to this site and tell them to read "How to fight with a Shotgun".

·
Registered
32,146 Posts
Rottiejake said:
I saw something there about the Taurus "Judge" quite a while ago.

Posted it here, and some folks didn't like what they had to say :???:

Always seemed like a good website to me :D
I like watching the old farts having fun testing things. They have a lot of humor and enjoy themselves. Most of what they show is usually correct. Occasionally they are a little in left field, but anyone who conducts practical tests usually is. Good entertainment and usually good information.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
don't care about wall penetration, we're the only 2 in the house that are supposed to be here and we're in the middle of nowhere. jony goes with 00, 240 gr magnum in my handgun and carbine, or just simple ol' .45acp and anything else i please. i'd love to be able to hit an SOB that thinks he has cover behind 1 inch of sheetrock. you got to love the castle doctrine.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
I wouldn't expect anything less than a stout 357 magnum round to go through a windshield consistently.....9mm, 40 cal, 45 acp, very likely just don't have the oomph needed to do this consistently.
Playing on junk cars tells me that a .45 will indeed go thru a car windshield. In fact I saw something on CSI the other night that I had seen in real life. Hit a windshield from two different angles and get the same impact on the seat. Shot from above the round went straight thru and then a shot from straight ahead the round dived and ended up in the same spot. Seems the hollow point caught the window and tipped the round on the straight in shot. Cars were 2000-2003's. The older cars offered no real resistance to the round either.

Oh and a .357 did NOT go into the block either. Neither the hollow point nor the solid.

Sarge

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Oh and a .357 did NOT go into the block either. Neither the hollow point nor the solid.
That's suprizing since the .357 was developed specificly for that purpouse! But we've all seen different calibers do weird stuff at different times, lol.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts