Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has nothing to do with Taurus or Firearms, but I thought this group especially any bowhunters would appreciate this. My son has joined 4 H Sharpshooters Club. I took him to Gander Mountain to get him outfitted with a youth bow for competition. He's 10 and this is his first experience with a bow. I'm not an archer, but I'm learning for his sake. My son was holding the bow and drew it back for the tech to test his draw length and peep sight - and the bow released!!!!! with no arow. A dry fire of a compound bow makes a huge noise and does an immense amount of damage. Not to mention the mark on my son's face and arm. Scared him and me!!! I think it rattled the tech too!! but luckily no one was injured. Upon further investigation the trigger on the release was faulty. It would open with virtually no pressure. It was spring loaded and basical would release from teh pressure of the string. I will compliment the techa and Gander for stepping up and getting a different bow my son and helping him find a better release.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I always used a glove, no trigger release.
Long time ago I had a Bear Whitetail Hunter compound bow.
Gave it to my Son when I got tired of it.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Too bad that you son was stunned and hurt like that, but it does have it's own lesson to provide: a bow is no different than a firearm and things can and do happen that can be harmful if not watched for. Good thing that y'all didn't have an arrow notched! BTW, I have been working with my daughter on using her first compound bow, and both of us have been stung a little bit by "bow snap"! :D

·
Registered
561 Posts
It is their fault for not checking the release on the scale, I'm glad your son is ok and not too rattled over it. Have a spare release with a hook and use that for checking draw that way the string can't do any damage if its released.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Wow, the revenge of the "string-gun"! Glad your son is ok.

Personally I use a recurve since I don't hunt anything with it other than paper tacked to straw bales. I got the boy a stickbow for Christmas and built a 10 yard range in the backyard. He's pretty good.

·
10,379 Posts
Glad he's all right and hasn't been scared off from archery.

That's part of the reason I never use a release, mostly because I have a better feel for it using my bare hands, I just set the string behind the first set of knuckles of the index and middle fingers.

I'll never forget when my stepdad was sighting in his bear bow; after he nocked the arrow, he drew back and released, all we heard was a CRACK and the top half of his bow was buried in the ground behind him...approximately 5 inches away from my step brother's foot. Never even saw it move it went that fast.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Glad it all turned out ok. I think its really great that you are taking the sport up with him. We need more parents like you.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Glad everyone is OK and that he isn't completely scared and turned off from bows. Sports with your kids are great.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
The salesman should have had a safe "No-Release" to try out bows for newbies. Other than that I hope he keeps with it.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
When I draw my bow I always keep my release finger on the back side of the trigger. This keeps forward pressure on the trigger and when I am ready to shoot I position my finger on the business side of the trigger. Glad your son is ok and good luck to him in his new sport!!

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Dry fires happen, That's why I shoot Hoyt. :thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts