Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently went looking for some hot .357 loads to play with at the range. Went up to the local gun store and all they had in stock was Fiocchi .357 FMJ. It was reasonably priced at 23 bucks for 50 rounds so I bought a box despite the odd 142 gr bullet weight.

Came home, checked out Fiocchi's website for bullet specs. 142 gr @ 1420 fps. Yowzas!:eek: Thats moving for that grain bullet.

My biggest question, is it going to be ok to run these through my 617T every once and a while? They're not something I plan on running through it like 38's but I just want to make sure it's not going to cause excessive wear on the gun, same goes for Full house 125 gr .357.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Careful believing what you read on Fiocchi's website. Half the time they use test barrels in the 8" range for their velocity numbers. The only way you really know how fast bullets are cookin' from a particular weapon is to chronograph 'em.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
True dbeardslee, i just assumed 4 inch barrel. I don't have a chronograph, but I am going to assume a 4 inch barrel for safety sakes.

Bingo, I know about underwood and buffalo bore, I know they produce some pretty crazy velocities, but those rounds are usually 125 gr bullets or less.

I will contact fiocchi to find out their test barrel length was.

·
Administrator
35,560 Posts
If you want a wild ride, buy a box of Federal 125 grain semi-jacketed hollowpoint. It will definitely get your attention.

Buy it, that is, when you can find ANY ammo......

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
That isn't excessive velocity in a .357 magnum, though it is a hot load. If you want something hot try 29 gr of H-110 behind a 180 gr Sierra Game Master in a .44 Magnum. ;)

Reactions: gbusmech

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just trying to make sure it's not going to give me any problems in my 617T. I know it's moose dropping heavy but as far as muzzle energy it's more than your standard 125gr .357 round.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
You should be fine shooting those loads 357 are hot loads but what they say on a box of ammo is usually about 10% lower out of typical gun's.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
True dbeardslee, i just assumed 4 inch barrel. I don't have a chronograph, but I am going to assume a 4 inch barrel for safety sakes.

Bingo, I know about underwood and buffalo bore, I know they produce some pretty crazy velocities, but those rounds are usually 125 gr bullets or less.

I will contact fiocchi to find out their test barrel length was.
In the mean time, have you been to ballistics by the inch? They've got some real interesting numbers, and if you look at the bottom of the screen you'll see actual velocities from a number of different firearms. They've got some numbers for Cor Bon 140 grain from an S&W revolver - with actual chrono results. Might not be the same mfg, but it's interesting information. Ballistics by the Inch

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been there actually, it's a great website. I wonder why they didn't do a real world test with a 2 inch revolver?

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I have been there actually, it's a great website. I wonder why they didn't do a real world test with a 2 inch revolver?
My guess would be that the guy behind the website doesn't have one or access to one in .357. He shows numbers for a couple 38 special snubbies, so maybe he's flush with snubbies. Just a guess, though. A lot of the test guns for the 38 special seem to be the same guns used for the 357 test. Dunno where they get the guns for testing.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Lighter is faster. Find a with friend with a chrono or send me 5 and I'll give you something close to the truth. Fiocchi has developed a rep for pretty "warm" loads - I've checked some of their 9 and 40 in various weights and it proves out.

Happy to help.!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Email back from Fiocchi. They used a friggin 10 inch no vented test barrel.. So out of my little 2 inch ported barrel I'd be surprised if it hit a grand.

Why use such a huge barrel. Who has a 10 inch 357? I feel as if they use such a long barrel just so they can post high velocity speeds.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Is it the blue box or the red box. The blue box is made in the Ozarks and the red box is made in Italy(red is hotter in the 9mm by 200fps). I have a chrony and have tested in my S&W model 59 with a 4 1/2" barrel.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Email back from Fiocchi. They used a friggin 10 inch no vented test barrel.. So out of my little 2 inch ported barrel I'd be surprised if it hit a grand.

Why use such a huge barrel. Who has a 10 inch 357? I feel as if they use such a long barrel just so they can post high velocity speeds.
I had a feeling... they almost always use those long barrels. I think it has something to do with the way they test - cup vs. psi and all that jazz. Or maybe they just like pumping the numbers up because they know most people won't check. But there's still no substitute for a chronograph.

I've heard Underwood Ammo mentioned as a manufacturer of 'hot' rounds - and my experience with them has been that it depends almost entirely on barrel length. Run their stuff through short barrels and the velocity degrades far more than other factory rounds. I tested their 185 gr jhp +P's against 185 gr. Remington Golden Saber +P's in my 1911 and my PT145, and while they were comparable from the long barrel, the Remingtons were 100 fps or so faster from the short barrel. Evidently Underwood Ammo doesn't use very fast powder, and you get a lot of unburned powder blown all over the place when you shoot them through a short barrel. Filthy, slow stuff from a short barrel - at least that's been my experience.

I bought a chronograph a couple years ago, and I've gotten a lot of use out of it. It's been a real eye-opener. I picked up a Chrony F1 on sale, and IIRC I only paid $70 for it. Best $70 I ever spent.

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
No, this load won't harm you M-617T...but it won't be any fun to shoot double action rapid fire either.

About as much fun as slapping a brick wall real hard bare handed 7 times.

I would "guess-ti-mate" you'll get in the neighborhood of 1,050-1,150 FPS out of a 2" barrel.

Only a chronograph will tell the tale for sure...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts