Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i new i liked taurus after purchasing my 24/7 and putting it through the paces, i am equally pleased w/ a used pt 908 i bought. i just got back from the range, and put 50 rounds through it through various paces, rapid fire/ aim fire etc. no jambs etc. it will now assume the position of my finicky 1911(non taurus). i shot the the 24/7 45acp as well and still can't get over the difference in destruction between the calibers, i am retiring an old encyclopedia set which works great for viewing the effects of hollow point and hole size.

·
32,653 Posts
Glad you are a satisfied customer.
Since both the .45ACP and 9x19 are excellent cartridges it is up to the user's judgement with which one to go with. There are differences to be sure, but not enough terminal ballistic difference to the receiver. A well place JHP or SWCLHP in any of the mid bore to large bore cartridges will get the job done under most circumstances.

The only and truly more dangerous exception to the rule has to do with state of mind of an attacker. Fanatical zeal, hard core drugs, or a "man on a mission" mind set are all reasons that pistol and rifle fire, regardless of the caliber,shot placement, will not instantly stop , nor will cause cesstation of hostilities. The Moros of the Phillipines, Zulus of Africa, religious die hards of the Middle East, and the terrorists on a mission of destruction are all examples of people being hit multiple times, even with many non-surviveable wounds and still killed or severely injured scores of others before expiring. One has to keep this in mind when dealing with reality.

In a lot of attacks this mindset may not be present. However with the increase in violent attacks on the rise one has to be ready to deal with this. Shooting once or double tapping an attacker then stopping to re-assess the situation may not work at all. Be ready for multiple shots to the body. Try hitting the head while it is bobbing,weaving, and moving erratically is going to be near impossible in such situtations. One can plan and practice to do this, but the actual real world situation may not allow for it. This is why I will not get into a caliber debate. Even multiple hits with shotgun slugs and buckshot have not stopped certain mindset types.

Police several decades ago shot a guy on PCP several times with full loads of buckshot and slugs that were well placed. This individual also absorbed numerous handgun bullets. A shot to the head finally brought the scene to a close. However the criminal lived for several more moments. He commented the cops should stop shooting him because it burned. Then he expired. Mindset because of the above mentioned factors can act in the same way on the body and make bullet sponges out of even a person with an adrenalin dump. The body starts blocking out pain very fast and as shock may take over. Thought I'd put this up as solid info and for those who think nothing but whatever they carry is the only caliber or bullet that will do.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that very scenario is what scares me most. it is my general hope that i can place 5 or 6 rounds in a manner that disrupts their intentions long enough to get the chance to place one or two good shots in the spinal or forehead area that will actually stop body functions. hopefully the first shot can be well placed if they don't see or suspect me. and like all of us, i hope i never find a need to ever unholster my weapon for anything but practice.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
Police several decades ago shot a guy on PCP several times with full loads of buckshot and slugs that were well placed. This individual also absorbed numerous handgun bullets. A shot to the head finally brought the scene to a close. However the criminal lived for several more moments.
That is somewhat scary ....

He commented the cops should stop shooting him because it burned.
That did make me chuckle a little though.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I agree that there is no perfect handgun caliber and no perfect handgun round. In fact, a person is wise to keep a shotgun loaded with buckshot near the bed at night, rather than a pistol, but, I digress...

We only have so many options when it comes to handgun calibers and a person has to choose the caliber that they are most comfortable with and the one that they can SHOOT the best. Some people shoot a 9mm better, due to less recoil, and some people shoot a .45 ACP better due to the "push" of the recoil rather than a "snap." But, only you can make that choice.

I saw a telephone book that was shot with a hollow point .380 and was impressed with the power. However, as well know, the .380 is marginal for defence purposes. Yes, many people have been killed with a .22 or a .32, but the optimal word here is "STOPPING" power. Having someone die 24 hours later at the hospital isn't going to do you any good if they are coming after you with a knife or gun.

So, what does all this mean? It means I would love to see what happened to your encyclopedia!!!

Todd

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i made allot of paper circles, some almost 1 1/2 inches around, i don't have many hollow points for the 9mm so i never did a comparison(i wanted to save them for the night stand), but damn, i made a hell of allot of confetti.

·
Administrator
18,108 Posts
Glad that you are happy with your PT24/7 and your "new to you" PT908. But then again, I thought you would be, as my PT908 has been excellent.

By the way, 1911's, regardless of manufacturer, can be rendered "non-finicky" or made reliable in most cases, by judicous polishing of the feed areas and extractor.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my 1911 is at the gunshop right now, i told them to make it reliable, don't know what to expect, they called and offered to bye it off me for $450 which is more than i paid for it brand new, but i said go ahead and fix it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
And not only 1911's, but even the most inexpensive of guns can be made reliable with a little patience and some 600 grit sandpaper. I prefer to do it by hand, since I've seen many get carried away with the dremel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts