Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I bought a blued Rossi R92 'El Jefe' lever action in 45 Colt with a 20" round barrel. First thing I did when I got it home was clean it. The first few patches came out completely black. Is it a preservative coating?

I put 50 rounds through it this afternoon. The buckhorn sights were bang on from the factory. At 25 yards benched I was hitting 1" patches. Standing from 50 yards every shot touched a 3" Shoot-N-C target.

My 45 Colt load was 255gr RNFP, 8.5gr Unique, CCI # 300 primer, Starline brass, OAL 1.600", ¾ turn with Lee Factory Crimp. This is a light load in this rifle. Kicked a bit more than a 22, but not by much. (It's also pleasant to shoot from my Vaquero revolver.)

The rifle has a lot of fun factor. Big smile. It's light, balanced, and carries easily.

Steve

·
Registered
24,763 Posts
Good choice but we need pics.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Welcome and congrats!

·
Super Moderator
40,588 Posts
Congrats! Welcome to the forum.

The black was probably the packing grease they use. Not a bad idea to take the gun a part and get it all out before it mixes with powder residue and starts gumming things up.

Post pictures if you can.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Sounds like a "keeper". I've been eye-balling the 24 inch octagon model also in .45 Colt just for the fun of it.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I'm another R92 rifleman here! Killed a bunch of hogs with my 45 Colt and all the others. I have them all from the 357 Mag through the 480 Ruger. The 45 Colt is about as classic as it gets!

All but one of my rifles are configured as the "-002" version, which is the scout rifle, exception is an additional 357 "-001", 20" round barrel.

That is the first kill with the rifle but there have been dozens since. My 45 Colt actually has the "distance" record for the five scouts, I shot a hog that weighed just shy of 200# at 197 yards. It dropped like a sack of rocks. All the rifles are hog killers, I shoot a "Ranch Dog" home cast 290-grain bullets in front of 25.5-grains of Lil' Gun for 1760 FPS. The recoil will get your attention!

The wood on the rifles are rather plain but idea for a Tru-Oil finish. Here is my 45 Colt after the work. My 44 Mag stock is in the foreground.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yesterday I put some Ruger-level loads thru it. Very accurate. Doesn't kick much.

From Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com

Hornady 250 gr XTP
26.0 gr H110
#350 CCI primer
OAL 1.600"
¾ turn Lee Factory Crimp Die
Starline brass

It shot flatter than I expected.

I just ordered a Shooting Chrony F1 Chronograph from MidwayUSA. I'm very interested in finding out whether my loads generate the velocities indicated in the loading manuals.

Steve

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Welcome from the Northwoods of MN. Lever actions are nice and I like a hand rubbed boiled linseed oil finish on wood stocks.

·
Super Moderator
36,848 Posts
Welcome aboard fro Northern Illinois.

I got the lever gun fever with a Marlin 1894 in .44 Magnum and don't ever want to be cured.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Hello from Central North Carolina and welcome to TaurusArmed.net! You are going to find some
friendly and knowledgeable people here. Congratulations on getting the new lever action, from
the range report you gave it sounds like you picked a winner! I have a good old Marlin 336 .30-30
that goes with me whenever I hunt wooded areas.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have them all from the 357 Mag through the 480 Ruger. The 45 Colt is about as classic as it gets!
I would say that the 44-40 is "as classic as it gets", since that's the caliber offered by Rossi that was also available in the origanol 1892. for some reason I think that one is also missing from your collection Michael? no love for the OLD .44.

·
Registered
21,115 Posts
Welcome from Texas!
and...

:nopics:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I would say that the 44-40 is "as classic as it gets", since that's the caliber offered by Rossi that was also available in the origanol 1892. for some reason I think that one is also missing from your collection Michael? no love for the OLD .44.
Yes you're right, I do not have them all. I've never seen a 44-40 in the round barrel carbine, just the octagon barreled rifles which I'm really not interested in. I didn't notice it until now but that cartridge was dropped from the 2013 lineup.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Howdy! Congrats on the new rifle.

Yesterday was my 2nd time out with my new Chrony F1 and it really is a great addition to a range day. the info it gives you on your reloads is fantastic!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes you're right, I do not have them all. I've never seen a 44-40 in the round barrel carbine, just the octagon barreled rifles which I'm really not interested in. I didn't notice it until now but that cartridge was dropped from the 2013 lineup.
mine is a 20" round barrel but its a Rossi made Puma from the LSI days, no safety and steel follower from the factory. not sure there were many 44-40's made that last few years. I, like you, don't care much for octagons, adds too much weight and the round is more pleasing to my eye, I got it to carry in the woods after all. to bad it was dropped, I like the round, but you have to load your own to get respectable power from it. the wife used it last year to take her first deer and this year my friends boy will be using it his first year of hunting.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I have to admit I don't have a lever action in my collection. :icon_ cry:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts