Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the flea market today and happened to stumble upon a little gem, the Taurus PT 58 SS. Guy was asking $355, I brought him down to $320 plus a box of 380 hollow points. I went to Jim's Pawn Store to fire a couple rounds before I went home. While looking around I noticed a PT 58 S (blued) selling for $269. Can anyone tell me if I did the right thing by purchasing the PT 58 SS at the flea market? I also saw some new Taurus's selling in the mid 300's to low 400's. should I take the pistol back and go for a brand new one at similar price? Also this is going to be my carry sidearm, I don't know if that'll effect y'all's comments and suggestions. But please give me some constructive criticism.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I know if I saw a blued 58 for 269.00 I would buy it.

·
Registered
38,432 Posts
well you have to decide on what to do, but i would mention this.
Once you buy a firearm here and fill out the federal paperwork its like buying a car and driving it home and seeing a different car that you like better and say hey i am taking this one back and get my money back and go get that one.
that may work where you live but that don't fly around here.
a gun shop/pawn shop MAY take the gun back but generally you are going to pay for them to do it.
as for the value of the 58 i honestly don't know, i am fairly sure that it has been discontinued for a while now, they may be on closeout??
I usually figure that a flea market/pawn shop its buyer beware and know a lot about anything that you are buying there, including worth.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Take a little polishing compound to the SS, buff out the scratches, wipe down the finish and you won't be asking yourself that question. Now, on the other hand, that is a great price on the blue version and a man can never have too many great firing pistols. So go pick it up also and think of it as an investment.

·
Premium Member
17,743 Posts
I had rather have the stainless for carry. Counting the ammo I guess you got it around $300. I think you did fine, I'd keep it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Another thought.
Later models are PT58 HC Plus.
They come with 19 rd magazines.
All well and good except that older 10 and 12 round magazines won't fit, I'm told.
For me at 71 yr, 19 is awfully hard to load!
Just something to consider.
I'd say enjoy what you have.
Good luck.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just went on Gunsamerica and gunbroker. No older ones on GA and only one blued one on GB. They are asking 469.00 for it. Keep the one you got and buy the blued one too.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
16,451 Posts
No that's a terrible price, you should unload that antiquated p o s on the first person that will give you anything close to what you paid.
That being said, .................what do you what for it.:D:D:D
I would have done it!!!!!!

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Banned
5,005 Posts
I went to the flea market today and happened to stumble upon a little gem, the Taurus PT 58 SS. Guy was asking $355, I brought him down to $320 plus a box of 380 hollow points. I went to Jim's Pawn Store to fire a couple rounds before I went home. While looking around I noticed a PT 58 S (blued) selling for $269. Can anyone tell me if I did the right thing by purchasing the PT 58 SS at the flea market? I also saw some new Taurus's selling in the mid 300's to low 400's. should I take the pistol back and go for a brand new one at similar price? Also this is going to be my carry sidearm, I don't know if that'll effect y'all's comments and suggestions. But please give me some constructive criticism.
It's either in as rough a shape as it looks, or it is looking pretty dodgy because of the flash. In any case, I think you paid about $100 too much for this handgun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No that's a terrible price, you should unload that antiquated p o s on the first person that will give you anything close to what you paid.
That being said, .................what do you what for it.:D:D:D
I would have done it!!!!!!
ok so just to clarify, I did good by purchasing it for the price of $300 (factoring in the hollow points that he had priced at 21.50)? The first guys I talked to seemed to be subject matter experts, seeing as they were operating the counter at the gun range, explained the difference between finishes blued vs. stainless and how stainless usually has a higher price tag. One gentleman who both workers talked to like he was a college professor, told me to run a couple rounds through it just to see if it fired. I let him shoot it too and after the box was done he couldn't stop talking about how well it shot. He believed it had to have had some trigger work done because it was one of the best .380's he's had in his hands. At this point I've made my mind up and I'm keeping it, but I would still enjoy hearing y'all's personal experiences about the 58 SS and any other Taurus Auto Pistols.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
36,963 Posts
I'd say that, after reading your most recent post, you came out well on the deal.

I would buff / shine the stainless finish and carry it with confidence. :thumb:

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
The PT58 was introduced in 1988, in 1993, the decocker function was added. The stainless model was available starting in 1992. In 95% condition, it has a book value of $295.00. With today's surge in prices, that is no longer relevant in many areas.

I own a blued, 1990 Model PT58, as well as a PT58HC. The older PT58 has a trigger that has been smoothed up over the years by use, and is quite nice. The PT58HC also comes with a nice trigger, but is still too new to see how it turns out.

I have attempted to use PT58 magazines in my PT58HC. They are too short to lock up in the gun. As the 10 round mags from the 1994 AWB are sized to fit the PT58, they won't work, either.

Edited to add, belatedly, that the PT58 HC mags will fit the PT58, protruding a little over an inch. They aren't the tightest fit that I've seen, but, on all, seem to work fine. FYI, I consider the fit of a 1911 magazine to be the standard to judge by.

·
Banned
5,005 Posts
If you got a chance to shoot it AND it was buttery-smooth, and accurate, you might have done OK. The true value of any gun is seldom realized by the owner until that paper comes back to the firing line and you can see what you've done with the gun.

Sent from deep in the bowels of my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk, the mighty engine of the great train of Commerce!

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
If you like it and the price didn't cause you to be late on the double-wide payment, your good. I paid $259 for a Rossi 44mag snubbie which is a great price. The problem is, I don't like shooting it. Therefore, it was not a good price.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the comments, good and bad. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help out a guy who's new to the gun market (now remember I'm not new to guns, well shoot I might be, I've only handle army issued weapons) what I've come to realize is I need more guns, y'all have all these signature blocks with dozens upon dozens of weapons, and now I know I need to get some more. Gonna go buy the Judge PD Poly tomorrow!!

·
Registered
38,432 Posts
you are welcome Ranger!
glad to help!
and a bit off the exact subject-- CDNN has Taurus 638 on sale right now-- think the price was 329?
with a good FFL and shipping likely about 350-360 OTD.
of course there is that magazine issue with these as well, if you see them get them.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I paid that much for the one you see to the left. Only I had to pay my FFL and shipping and I didn't get box of shells in the deal. For a stainless, I found that to be the going rate, and that was almost 2 years ago. By now you've found that it shines up like new with a good polishing. Very light recoil, perfect for close quarters. Congats and enjoy!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.