Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I'm not familiar with this rifle. What is the advantage over the Ruger?
This is a more expensive rifle that the 10/22, from a premier manufacturer. Mostly, the two models are offering features some people get as aftermarket items but at a price that is less than you could do it for that way. Plus the quality of manufacture should be better, and hopefully accuracy.

The carbon fiber barrel model is interesting.

https://www.bergara.online/us/

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a more expensive rifle that the 10/22, from a premier manufacturer. Mostly, the two models are offering features some people get as aftermarket items but at a price that is less than you could do it for that way. Plus the quality of manufacture should be better, and hopefully accuracy.

paid $499 for the BXR 001 model

haven't accuracy tested it yet

lots of nice features...check their website

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
Plus the quality of manufacture should be better, and hopefully accuracy.

Just for the record, and, of course, my personal opinion, I think the manner in which you made the above statement is a slap in the face to Ruger. I have zero criticisms of the quality or accuracy of my 10/22. I'd be interested to know if you own a 10/22 and if so what specific shortcomings you have found in your rifle.

The carbon fiber barrel is vewrgt interesting...

Reactions: BangBang

·
Super Moderator
35,152 Posts
I have a few criticisms of the 10/22. The trigger was mushy. I fixed it with a Volquartsen hammer, easy installation and cheap...about 40 bucks. I have few major criticisms including accuracy which is excellent. I get one hole 25 yard groups with CCI standard velocity ammo. I've dressed it up a bit with a Hogue stock. That eliminates the barrel band.

Yeah, I find little to criticize on the 10/22. It's one of my fave all time rimfires and I got it used at a gun show for $150 and in STAINLESS STEEL. :D Besides, if the Ruger weren't any good, why would there be so much aftermarket and so many copy cats? :D

·
Super Moderator
35,152 Posts
Oh, yeah, one more....the safety is on backwards on the 10/22. I intend to get a left hand safety, eventually. :D

I don't really like crossbolt safeties.

·
Super Moderator
19,807 Posts
Just for the record, and, of course, my personal opinion, I think the manner in which you made the above statement is a slap in the face to Ruger. I have zero criticisms of the quality or accuracy of my 10/22. I'd be interested to know if you own a 10/22 and if so what specific shortcomings you have found in your rifle.

And???

Hey man, I’m a huge fan of Ruger and own two 10-22s (both TakeDown models). I’m also smart enough to know that Ruger is a quality brand offering a “value” price point. But, they ain’t manufactured stock with Bergara barrels. Bergara is a high end custom barrel maker. I bought my 10-22s to plink, rodent control and just plain fun. I have no expectations of “competitive level” accuracy from a $230 Rifle. If I were to get into competitive long gun sports I would likely spend upwards of $5K-$10K.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts

You're putting words in my mouth. I made no negative statement about Ruger. Stating that a Bentley is built better than a Jaguar is no slap in the face to Jaguar. The Bergara should be better built given it's higher price point. The increased accuracy is a hope....since Bergara is known for the quality of their barrels. Obviously the performance of the 10/22 can be improved, just as any rifle can. Is the presence of all the aftermarket accuracy-enhancing parts for the 10/22 a slap in the face to Ruger? Are they not good enough as they come that people feel they need to replace practically every part on the rifle? No, of course not.

I've owned a 10/22 in the past. I got rid of it because it's just too small for me. It was a well made (mostly) and accurate (enough) rifle. Could it have been better? Yes. But given it's price point it represents a great value in a more than serviceable rifle.

I think Colt revolvers are better made than S&W's, S&W's are better made than Dan Wesson's. But it's comparing apples and oranges and I will grant that the differences can amount to minutiae to many. To others such small details are important. As you said, it's a matter of opinion.

·
Super Moderator
35,152 Posts
Anyway, NICE RIFLE, OP!

·
Super Moderator
35,152 Posts
BTW, my .50 caliber CVA Wolf has a Bergara barrel. The thing will put five cast 50 caliber Minie balls into 2" at 100 yards. I kinda like it....a lot. :D

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
When you call something a "clone" you mean, by definition, that it is identical every aspect to the original.

In living creatures it means they have identical DNA. In inanimate objects it means at least that it functions identically to the reference object. Recall the early days of PC's claiming to be IBM "clones."

To present a rifle as a "clone" when the only similarity I can find is that they fire the same caliber, and then to denigrate the 10/22 pains me since Ruger is one of my two favorite gun makers.

OK- I'm done.

Hey, OP- Nice Rifle!

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
Just as a total aside, I actually own two 10/22's. One of them is called a Charger! Here's a really fun thing to do!

1. Remove the entire action of the Charger from its stock. You now are holding a 10/22 in one hand.

2. Insert it into a standard 10/22 stock.

3. Be prepared to go to jail for owning an undocumented SBR.

I don't know if you could do that with a Beraga...

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Nice rifle thanks for sharing the links guys.:cool:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I'm liking this trend of reasonably priced factory 10/22s with a lot of the upgrades that users do themselves already installed. This and the Thompson TCR/22 are pretty slick. Nice rifle, OP!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts