Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have been lurking here for a while. Decided to buy the 24/7 .45 yesterday at a local gun show. Got the blued model 12 round mags. Sold off all of my 1911's last year. Just been shooting 9mm but I wanted a .45 again. Thought a high cap .45 would be perfect as a carry gun. Really like the look and feel of the 24/7.
Here are my questions:

Dry firing, the manual says not to dry fire. I bought this from a gun show dealer. Lord knows how many people picked it up a pulled the trigger before I bought it. I did my self a few times. When I got it home, I put a snap cap in and I can feel/hear the firing pin striking the snap cap. So I'm guessing that it is ok. Won't get to the range for a couple weeks to know for sure. Is a few dry firing (w/o a snap cap) going to cause a problem? And what breaks? the firing pin? Or does the slide get damaged?

When I field striped it I found some metal flakes near the manual safety. And bare metal where the safety locks into Something to worry about or normal?

The manual safety is fairly easy to flip off. But putting the safety on, I have to use my weak hand or bend my strong hand around to put it on safe. Will this break in?

Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
The safety on mine take more effort to set on than to take off. That's normal. I hope it breaks in. I gotta admit though that I don't use the safety much at all.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Are you sure the manual warned against dry fireing? I've owned several 24/7s - don't remember seeing that - though I'll admit that after the first one, I didn't read the manuals a carefully on subsequent guns.

Of course, you can use snap-caps.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
As a general rule dry firing will not hurt any firearm if it happens occasionally. But the most likely thing to get damaged or break from dry firing is the firing pin. Still I would recommend using snap caps :)

It is also always a good thing to field strip a firearm (even if its brand new from the factory), inspect it, clean it and then reassemble. This makes you familiar with your firearm, while letting you get a good look inside for any foreign debris.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. Yeah I always clean my firearms first thing before taking them to the range.
Can't wait to get it to the range. When I was at the show I already had a short list of pistols I wanted to get.
24/7 pro
Ruger P90 or P345
Really wanted to get the 24/7. Glad I found one. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts