Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never loaded anything, but with a .45 now I started thinking about it. I dropped into the local Sportsman's Warehouse and found JHP bullets costing very nearly as much as cartridges. Actually twice as much as 230 FMJ practice ammo. Not at all good at the bottom line.

Are they known to be high?

JimL

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The thing about reloading for yourself is not always to get your ammo cheaper, but to get a (hopefully) consistent and better quality round then often found in mass produced ammo. Generally I buy my plinking ammo and reload my personal ammo. Some experts (lol...) advise against this. But if you know what your doing, you can get consistent quality and are confident in your abilities then by all means do it ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've had the same problem with my .40. The only way to really save $ reloading is to buy in bulk. I just put in a big order with

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/

1000 rounds 223
1000 40
1000 45lc

only problem is their way back-ordered on primers

·
Registered
15 Posts
The cost to get started is the hard part. Once I got established and worked up some loads the cost has come down for me. Copper plated and lead bullets will be cheaper. Those are great for practice/fun. Jacketed stuff will be more expensive. I will agree that bulk quantities are the way to go. I'll buy some loaded ammo in the 250 count range ($62-$75)to plink and practice with and to keep the brass for reloading. Sportsman Warehouse sells 45ACP brass for 18.99 per 100 down here. Thats $45 worth of brass right there that you can use for a good number of reloads. The ability to customize ammo for your gun and shooting style is my number one concern. My wife and I shoot the same guns and it's nice to hand her some ammo with a bit less recoil so she can really work on her shooting skills. Then as we finish up she'll load a few magazines with the higher powered stuff and try to apply the same gun control.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I usually buy ammo in bulk and I mean bulk by anything between 1000 to 10,000 rds at a time, depending on how good of a deal it is. Generally the larger the purchase the better the price and if you shoot and if you shot alot (like I do) or have some friends to go in with you on the ammo purchase, it can be a great way to get ammo.

·
Super Moderator
35,680 Posts
Costs to reload can really be cut if you cast your own bullets. I did free lead out of the backstop at the range and cast my own, FREE! All I pay for is initial costs of brass and primer/powder. A good price on JHP is 12 to 14 bucks per HUNDRED. I shoot only cast bullets in my guns for practice, though, bullets I cast myself. A box of .45 cal anything, not considering brass, is under two dollars. You can't beat that at wallyworld!

http://www.midwayusa.com is the best source I know of for things reloading online.

Check out the sticky.... http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1591.0

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.