Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally sat thru the Botox for Migraines commercial. It depicts strong women doing strong women things. I get the motorcycling, weight lifting, struggling with kids, etc, but BOXING? Lady, if you get 15 or more migraines a month you don't need to be in a ring getting punched in the head. Seriously, maybe ease off the boxing and the migraines might just go away.

·
Registered
16,877 Posts
It's a commercial.
Please tell me where facts, common sense and reality enter into it.
The biggest benefit of dropping cable is the fact I don't see any commercials while paying for them..
They are dumb.

·
Super Moderator
19,641 Posts
What is omitted is that the going rate for an injection of just 1cc (1ml) Botox is ~ $2500. And even in Med school the general consensus was against direct advertising of pharmaceuticals to the general public. Why? Because even the most basic understanding of the pharmacokinetics of how and why drugs worked, including very real potential severe issues (side effects) required the basic knowledge gained in the first year of anatomy, histology, physiology, microbiology, biochemistry, hematology and immunology.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think that ED would become a prime time shark of advertisements! You cannot listen to 10 minutes of radio without hearing a commercial nor can you watch a TV show for more than 15 minutes w/o a commercial for treatment of it. But, then again, when I went through Med school the cholesterol lowering statins and clot busters used in heart attacks were research yet to be done and marketed. And they were just beginning to figure out what was causing AIDS/HIV as I graduated and moved on.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Modern medicine all hearkens back to the Dow Corning tag line of the 60s: "Better living through chemistry."

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
As a migraine sufferer myself I can say that I do whatever I can to avoid boxing... UNLESS you disturb me when I'm having a migraine. Then I'll whoop your butt for an hour straight to feel like I earned having a migraine.

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
21,965 Posts
It's a commercial.
Please tell me where facts, common sense and reality enter into it.
I know everyone will find this shocking, but I've never been able to overcome my urge to analyze the logic in commercials. It. Is. So. Annoying. For those of you who share this affliction, I really hope some of you don't live in parts of the country with Sonic drive in "restaurants." They are on a multiyear campaign to convince us all that the best food advice comes from complete morons I wouldn't want prescrubbing my shoe soles before someone wiped dog poop off of there.

·
Registered
18,498 Posts
The ones making these commercials...:mellow:...we used to call them pushers. The main thing I question about these prescription drug ads is...:huh:...exactly when the heck did patients start telling their doctors what to prescribe for them? The funniest part about 'em, is listening to the long list of "which could be fatal" side effects...:D...I almost expect the commercial to end with "brought to you by Darwin Pharmaceuticals".

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
The ones making these commercials...:mellow:...we used to call them pushers. The main thing I question about these prescription drug ads is...:huh:...exactly when the heck did patients start telling their doctors what to prescribe for them? The funniest part about 'em, is listening to the long list of "which could be fatal" side effects...:D...I almost expect the commercial to end with "brought to you by Darwin Pharmaceuticals".
I think it was the early 90's that the FDA and FCC mutually agreed that the pharma companies could market directly to patients and afterwards we see dozens of 2AM commercials starting with "if you or a loved one has become ill or died after taking X medication, you may be awarded millions..."

Reactions: kschilk

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Modern medicine all hearkens back to the Dow Corning tag line of the 60s: "Better living through chemistry."

I believe Better living through chemistry was the advertising logo for du pont not Dow Corning.

Don

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I know everyone will find this shocking, but I've never been able to overcome my urge to analyze the logic in commercials. It. Is. So. Annoying. For those of you who share this affliction, I really hope some of you don't live in parts of the country with Sonic drive in "restaurants." They are on a multiyear campaign to convince us all that the best food advice comes from complete morons I wouldn't want prescrubbing my shoe soles before someone wiped dog poop off of there.
Me too. Statements like "Do not take XYZ if you are allergic to it" just chap my hide.
What kind of MORON needs to be told not to ingest something they are allergic to?
And how the heck is anyone supposed to know if they are allergic to the latest miracle mix of chemicals? It is something NEW, they have never been exposed to it to see if they have an allergic reaction to it. So how is it even possible to know if you are allergic to it?
Their verbiage is also incredibly annoying and nonsensical. "Up to 75% or more off".
Um excuse me, if it is UP TO 75% off it can't be MORE than 75% off - you just defined 75% as the upper limit when you said UP TO that amount.
Commercials just totally suck rocks and the people that write them are so obviously pandering to the lowest common denominator that it is insulting.

·
Super Moderator
19,641 Posts
Just gotta remember that the only difference between a drug dealer and a pharmaceutical company/pharmacy is a license.

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
They are just that, advertisements meant to sell their brand of products. Take them with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
16,877 Posts
People complain and moan and grumble about commercials constantly.
Yet they still watch them.
It's vaguely reminiscent of that scene in 1984 where the wife was participating in that
contest on tv. Half way through she discovered it wasn't real but she still kept on playing the game.
'You will obey........you will buy.......you are nothing without us............bwuhahahahahahahahahaha...........
>>scene ends curtains close<<
Patient dies.
I'm sad.

·
Super Moderator
35,570 Posts
I must be the outlier than. I actually like TV commercials...some of them. I admire the writing, producing, filming and acting in a good advertisement and the skillful way they contrive to push our psychological buttons to purchase something that we never knew about or knew that we needed (even politicians). It is an intricate part of our Capitalistic system which I also love and revere.

As has been pointed out, the huge mistakes we've made are permitting drug companies and lawyers to advertise on TV and other media. Creating markets for drugs we mostly do not need and lawsuits which drive up our costs everywhere has resulted in chaos in our culture. The first tells us that there is a pill for everything that may sicken us and the second tells us that nothing is our fault and that a lawyer can prove it in front of a jury where anyone can win the "Lawsuit Lottery".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts