Taurus Firearm Forum banner

How Many Forum Members Shoot with Both Eyes Open

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many Forum members shoot with both eyes open ?

Both Eyes
One Eye
Depends

·
Super Moderator
20,208 Posts
I am right handed, shoot right shouldered and grip my handguns with my right hand. I was taught to shoot by closing the left eye and look down the sights with the right eye. I know that CW today tends to lean towards keeping both eyes open but its hard to override 50 years of training and habit.

What was that old saying about teaching old dawgs new tricks . . . . .

·
Registered
21,219 Posts
I have strabismus, or a mussel eye disorder that is corrected with glasses but other wise causes me to see double with out glasses or if I concentrate on a specific object along a plane; aka gun sights. One eye here.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
I am right handed, shoot right shouldered and grip my handguns with my right hand. I was taught to shoot by closing the left eye and look down the sights with the right eye. I know that CW today tends to lean towards keeping both eyes open but its hard to override 50 years of training and habit.

What was that old saying about teaching old dawgs new tricks . . . . .
Sometimes, it may help to cover the non-dominate eye with a head band eye patch and then later try removing the patch. It's not hard to get in the habit, and I think it's more habit than anything else. It is also easy to get out of the habit, but your brain will usually recognize the dominate eye.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Usually one eye. I've been trying to use both eyes, but like Daytona said old habits are hard to break.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I close my left eye and keep my right on the sights

·
Super Moderator
20,208 Posts
Sometimes, it may help to cover the non-dominate eye with a head band eye patch and then later try removing the patch. It's not hard to get in the habit, and I think it's more habit than anything else. It is also easy to get out of the habit, but your brain will usually recognize the dominate eye.
Yeah, about that, actually my dominant eye based on the "brain tests" is my left eye. As I commented in another post, I was originally fitted with a distant left eye and close vision in my right eye with my monovision contact lenses. After I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a gun anymore, as I couldn't see much beyond the front sight (ie., end of the barrel), I brought this to the attn of my ophthalmologist and he told me I shoulda told them I was a shooter. Changed the distant/close rxs to the opposite eyes and all is well in daytonatown again.

Reactions: PCS01

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
After years of using microscopes and the eye strain that accompanies closing one eye I learned to keep both eyes open; it relived the strain and I found that what my left eye saw was nothing. Shooting is similar both eyes open in some ways allows you to center on the target and if you snap aim both eyes open allows easier (for me) to make a single line of the top of the slide. My dominant eye still, when I aim with sights, does the aligning since I hold with my right hand.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
From the time I first qualified in boot camp in 1969 until a few months ago I shot both handguns and long guns with one eye closed but before my CHL test I decided to practice with both eyes open and to my surprise it wasn't really a big adjustment at all.

Reactions: LonestarJake

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
When I'm shooting 5, 7, or 10 yard targets both eyes open. Any further I close my left eye.

·
10,382 Posts
Only got the one eye, ya'll don't want to see me close one eye and shoot<g>

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Depth perception is one advantage to both eyes being open, another is peripheral vision and a third is your body balance.

Sighting with iron sights, it is less of a problem for me to keep my eyes open, but when I hunker down on a scope, I find myself becoming a one-eyed Jake again. I remind myself of the advantages to having both eyes open, otherwise there is no real vision to help point a long gun (with a scope) to the right field of view.

I agree with a previous post that it relieves stress. the folks I feel for are cross dominate eyed...i.e. left dominate eyed and right handed or vice versa....it's worse than being left handed in a right handed world.

Reactions: PCS01

·
Premium Member
17,743 Posts
Both eyes open, always have. Sometimes once I get tired I start seeing some weird things, like a target 2 or 3 stations away in my left eye, and my target in my right eye. I can make it stop, but not sure I can explain how I do that. Once it starts though it keeps coming back. Doesn't happen every trip, and only after I've been at it for 3 hours or so.

·
Banned
401 Posts
Howdy,

With a handgun..............

Bull's Eye....... One eye

CQB/SD .......... Both eyes.

Im 48yo and its hard to focus on the sights these days so it doesn't really matter. :(

I'm right handed and right eye dominate but I have an astigmatism in my right eye which blurs the vision in my right eye so I have been "training" myself to use my left eye which helps with my Bull's Eye type shooting.

Paul

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Both eyes open, always have. Sometimes once I get tired I start seeing some weird things, like a target 2 or 3 stations away in my left eye, and my target in my right eye. I can make it stop, but not sure I can explain how I do that. Once it starts though it keeps coming back. Doesn't happen every trip, and only after I've been at it for 3 hours or so.
Dido what glenwolde posted.

·
Registered
21,219 Posts
No ones said it yet so I will. Eyes wide shut.

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using Tapatalk

Reactions: Wolf1477
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.