Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok,
The wife was pretty tired today so with that I spent some time researching an idea I had and found out a guy in the UK had thought around similar lines. So with that contacted him and had a nice chat about the Hatsan MPA shotgun. he sent me some pictures of his modification and after getting an idea of parts I ordered the following

Standard MPA mag tube
Nordic Components Magazine Tube Extension Assembly Remington 870, 1100, 11-87, 105 CTi 12 Gauge 6-Round Matte
Nordic Components Magazine Extension Tube Barrel Clamp with Picatinny Rail 12 Gauge Aluminum Matte
Nordic Components Low Drag Teflon Coated Magazine Follower 12 Gauge Aluminum
Nordic Components Magazine Tube Extension Spring Only 12 Gauge 45" Length

Well the standard MPA mag tube has the same thread as an 1100 but the threaded section is way too long. Need to get some lathe time and sort that out when the parts arrive, However its not a big job. Once I have cut the threaded section down I should be able to fit the Nordic components +6 tube and clamp. Should look something like this , but my barrel will be flush due to the Trulock choke. It takes me to 10+1 :) with 3" magnum shells

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Well was trying to get some lathe time this week. Parcel arrived with a stock mag tube to do the modification, so I called my friend and arranged to pop round and do some work on his lathe. Then I opened the package with the tube in and they sent the wrong one !!!! Oh well sending it back tomorrow. It even had the part number printed on and it wasn't what I ordered. Spoke to the dealer and the correct part is not in stock, 2 to 3 week wait :/ So with that I ordered a couple just to have in, probably do my friends MPA at the same time.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Looks like fun!!!!! I love a good shotgun!

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I would like to do something like that to my mossie 500.one day.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would like to do something like that to my mossie 500.one day.
I did my 590 already. There is a Canadian company called SJ hardware. They do some really god 500/590 mag extension tubes. I'm running my 590 in 10+1 at the moment with a full mesa rail system and LEO kit with Magpul furniture. Still waiting for my Eotech integral light forend but it runs sweet enough :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well as the parts are going to be a while I decided today to sort the forend grip issues out. I never did like the smoothness of the plastic forend. I thought about getting the soldering iron out and stippling. However the plastic doesn't look thick enough so nipped down the hardware store and got some grip tape, 30 mins late that's another job done. Doesn't budge in the hands now :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok not been online as much as I have been pretty busy around the house. The wife is still doing ok, chemo starts tomorrow. I got a few free days so picked up some new tools and started work on the MPA. The mag tube was red loctited in place so picked up a vice and heatgun. Did some work on it today and now its fully apart

Tools needed : Vice, leather soft jaws, heatgun, strap wrench and some wet rags

Result: Fully disassembled

Just waiting on the parts then I will turn the old mag tube down in the lathe to the external threaded section and fit the +6 Nordic extension, Teflon Follower and new springs. After that hold it all in place with the new magazine tube clamp

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Many people don't realize that the mag tube can be a good bit longer than the barrel - this is a sweet example. Too bad about the part, then to have it back ordered GRR. :mad:

Has the licencing business been sorted out with your wife and her guns yet? Good to hear that she's moving ahead with treatment. Not long before this will all be locker room talk!!

Will the gun be 10 or 11 shot when done?

Not sure if Hatsan make it into the US: HATSAN ARMS COMPANY

·
Registered
29,971 Posts
Congratulations on your Hatsan shotgun...I've had very good service from their products. :icon_ lala:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many people don't realize that the mag tube can be a good bit longer than the barrel - this is a sweet example. Too bad about the part, then to have it back ordered GRR. :mad:

Has the licencing business been sorted out with your wife and her guns yet? Good to hear that she's moving ahead with treatment. Not long before this will all be locker room talk!!

Will the gun be 10 or 11 shot when done?

Not sure if Hatsan make it into the US: HATSAN ARMS COMPANY
Still waiting on the licencing. Our permits run out in about 35 days so the police will be round to discuss them in a couple of weeks . As for Hatsan in the US, I think Legacy Sports is the US importer. Once I hve finished it should be 10+1 in 3" and should fit 11+1 with smaller shells. It should only be a few mm past the end of the barrel as the breecher choke ads 2" to the length

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
"10+1 in 3" and should fit 11+1 with smaller shells." That make me grin just reading it!!!! ;)

Wishing you the best!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just an update, Fitted a matchsaverz and a side saddle. Should get round to doing the mag tube work in the next few weeks as all the parts have arrived

All the best

Chris

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not going to get any lathe time for at least a week as my mate is away. However did a little more research and came across a guy who had done a similar mod on his shotgun. Got these as a reference guide. Doesn't loot too much work

First I need to cut the 1 piece tube off just above the outer threads. Then screw the mag extension on and measure the gap like this

Then put the tube back in the lathe and cut it down and chamfer the edges

Then I should end up with this

New mag tube screws on and barrel clamp to hold it all in place. Cant wait to get on with it

·
Premium Member
10,104 Posts
Looks great, keep us updated.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Thanks for the photos waiting to see yours finished

jhp

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers guys, these are the parts just need to do the tube on the lathe and should be finished

Nordic components tube, Teflon 12g follower and a barrel clamp with rails

·
Registered
25,027 Posts
Looks like a wicked fun project.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts