Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get a bore sight for my AR 15 and don't want to spend a ton on a tool rarely used. Wondering what's the latest and least expensive out there. I just don't want to waste a lot of ammo getting sighted in. I've got an Eotech 516 Holo with no magnifier so I'm not looking at great distances here.

There's a lot of stuff online and plenty of reviews but frankly I trust you guys a whole lot more.

Any experience?

·
Registered
855 Posts

This one will get you on paper, after that you may need to make some small adjustments at the range. The on/off switch is not the best and tends to act up, but other than that I doubt you'll find a better bore sight for the money.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
I bought a Centerpoint set from Walmart for $40 that will do from .17 - .50 cal.. works great for my needs and even has my Mossberg dead on from 100 yards. It looks pretty similar to the one above except that the barrel inserts on mine are rubber and adjust inside of the bore when you twist the sighter in to the right.

Centerpoint Laser Bore Sight

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've got one just like jr612. Think I paid $30 or so for it at Walmart and it's worked just fine to get several rifles on paper.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I ordered one from Amazon.com....I think it's a Brownell's or Bushnell....starts with a B....can't remember the name for the life of me...it's around here somewhere. Anyways, it cost me $30 with free shipping, and it was well worth it. Does .17-.50, as well as 20 and 12 gauge shotguns, and the on/off switch is the entire front half. To turn it on, screw down, turn it off, screw up. Simple as that. I used it to zero in the new scope on my Mini-14, and doublecheck the zero on my dad's .22 Hornet Ruger 77/22. If I were you, just go onto amazon.com, type in laser boresighter, and find one that's the cheapest price with the highest ratings. That's what I did, and I couldn't be happier about it.

·
Registered
27,169 Posts
I have an optical boresighter and a laser boresighter with a mandrel set, but the one I use is the Sightmark magnetic boresight.

In fact... I think I'll sell the other 2...

·
Registered
976 Posts
Not trying to be a smart arse. But. Back in the day before all the bore sighting technology. Bore sighting meant looking down the bore of the rifle at a object. Then. Look thru the scope and see how close the cross hairs lined up where you saw the object thru the bore. Then adjust the scope as necessary. That was bore sighting. Once you got that close. Then you shoot it on paper to dial it in to true zero. No $ spent. Ol school. Just saying.

Reactions: ozzy

·
Registered
855 Posts
Not trying to be a smart arse. But. Back in the day before all the bore sighting technology. Bore sighting meant looking down the bore of the rifle at a object. Then. Look thru the scope and see how close the cross hairs lined up where you saw the object thru the bore. Then adjust the scope as necessary. That was bore sighting. Once you got that close. Then you shoot it on paper to dial it in to true zero. No $ spent. Ol school. Just saying.
That works fine on something like a .30 cal and up but not some much on something like a 17hmr.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I have the same thing as jr612,not alot of money and it works

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I just bought the sightmark triple duty boresighter. Just goofing around, I put it in a drill and spun it. The laser dot did not move, stayed concentric. I haven't used it yet, but after the drill experiment I am confident it centers and is concentric. The unit is very well made. It was $50 bucks at amazon.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts

This one will get you on paper, after that you may need to make some small adjustments at the range. The on/off switch is not the best and tends to act up, but other than that I doubt you'll find a better bore sight for the money.
Rule Number One:
Remove boresighter from muzzle before test firing.

·
10,379 Posts
Rule Number One:
Remove boresighter from muzzle before test firing.
Oh suuuurre, *now* he tells me<g>

I've actually got one very similar to the one that jr612 shows, Gander Mountain had 'em for around $10 a couple months ago. Works reasonably well, gets you on paper. Next set I get are going to be the ones that fit in the breech.

·
Registered
27,169 Posts
Hard to do with anything but a bolt action rifle. (or bolt action pistol)

·
Super Moderator
21,452 Posts
I have the same one as Jr612 and it works great. Its simple to use and gets you on paper in minutes. Plus it cost under $30

·
Registered
976 Posts
That works fine on something like a .30 cal and up but not some much on something like a 17hmr.
Why not? The bore is smaller. So what. It will still get it on the paper. At no cost.
Hard to do with anything but a bolt action rifle. (or bolt action pistol)
You have a firm grip on the obvious. The technique will work on a AR15 which is what this thread was started on. And last time I checked the AR was not a bolt action rifle. (or bolt action pistol).:)
On edit. I am pretty sure the technique will work on a Fn-Fal.

·
Registered
855 Posts
You have a firm grip on the obvious. The technique will work on a AR15 which is what this thread was started on. And last time I checked the AR was not a bolt action rifle. (or bolt action pistol).:) On edit. I am pretty sure the technique will work on a Fn-Fal.
I guess if you feel like taking the rifle apart then go for it.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Whats a bore sighter? :) I shoot and crank crank crank to the left, crank crank crank up. You get the picture, maybe I'm just to old school. I actually never had a scope until a few years ago.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Sure it does if you can remove the bolt.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I just bought the sightmark triple duty boresighter. Just goofing around, I put it in a drill and spun it. The laser dot did not move, stayed concentric. I haven't used it yet, but after the drill experiment I am confident it centers and is concentric. The unit is very well made. It was $50 bucks at amazon.
Not trying to bust balls but your drill is concentric to how many tenths?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Sure it does if you can remove the bolt.
I never said anything about a bolt. I was referring to the fact that it's a bit difficult to actually see thru the barrel of something that small. As stated by El Toro, this method of sighing is not limited to bolt action rifles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts