Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was complaining about the strong smell of the bore cleaner I was using. Yesterday I was looking around my local sporting goods store and a Smith & Wesson product caught my eye. It is called "Smith & Wesson Premium Bore Gel". I don't think it is a new product, but like I said I just happened to notice it on the shelf so picked up the gel to give it a try, since it claims to be low odor.

When I got home I took my "clean" PT1911 out, set up my work area, field stripped, and got ready to do a small cleaning. I like to clean my guns regularly even if I don't use them. Generally, I have found that with my "in between cleans" I don't get much color on my patches (I have been happily using Hoppes Semi-Automatic bore cleaner), but it has been hard to get a perfectly clean white patch even then; so I just chalked it up to the alignment of the planets, or my wife yelling at me that the fumes of my bore cleaner is getting her stoned! ;)

I got out the bore brush and applied the gel directly to the bristles as instructed on the bottle of the S&W cleaner. I ran it though the barrel 3 or 4 times and, as instructed, let it sit five minutes. There was no detectable smell! To my amazement, and disgust with my previous brand of solvent, the first couple patches I ran through the barrel came out pitch black! They were full of grime! I ran patches through the barrel until they came out perfectly white. Next, I put a little lube on a dry patch to see if it would pick up any more dirt, but it didn't! It came out perfectly white! Very nice!

I have found my new bore cleaner. The Smith & Wesson Premium Bore Gel is far superior in cleaning power than the Hoppes Semi-Automatic bore cleaner I had been using, and it doesn't smell like jet fuel, or give the kids a contact high! :D I thought I would pass along my experience for those who are interested.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Sounds good to me, Pierce. I'm gonna get some & try it out!

·
Registered
846 Posts
I agree thanks for the info I will try this also. As I've got older and health problems even the Hoppes gets to me now.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
My wife was complaining about the strong smell of the bore cleaner I was using.......my wife yelling at me that the fumes of my bore cleaner is getting her stoned! Wink
now that is soooooo true, i am always in trouble---- :soapbox:...(OK dear, i will close the door) :bang:..LOL ....

thanks Pierce...

+1...sounds real good to me... i will get some and try it out too...i wonder if it is natural solvents( there are natural wood strippers out there that are scary) :eek:

you got to admit though...there is something about Hoppes and the "Mans Room"..that go well together :devil: LOL :D :D :p 8)...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, no. LOL! I was laughing about the "Mans Room" statement! It is so true! LOL!

ROFL = Rolling on floor laughing.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Pierce, I having trouble finding that around here, I found some Hoppes Elite gel that buy reading does the same thing and makes patches turn the same. I wonder if it could be the same stuff I doubt that S&W really makes there own. This stuff has no order at all either, what color is yours?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yep, bet maybe the same. I'm gonna try the hoppes and keep looking for the S&W wont hurt to compare you cant ever have enough cleaner. Thanks for you tip!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts