Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any experience with BP checkpoints while carrying on 118 in Texas? Heading down to the Bend next week and just curious.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
The vidoes I've seen on YT have the agents asking if you are an American citizen. They didn't ask about any weapons.
However the purpose of the vids were drivers being antagonistic to the agents. They are exercising their freedom to NOT be stopped and questioned without cause. It looked like a big hassle to me.
At no time was any mention of weapons made.

I understand the drivers point but it would have been a lot quicker for them to say "I'm American" and let it go at that.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I go through the interior choke points on a regular basis (I think these are what you are talking about), armed, and have never been stopped for any reason. The actual stop will be about 10 seconds as a a dog or pair of dogs sniffs your vehicle. The Agent might ask you a simple question and that's it. I always approach the stop with all my windows down so that they do not need to question what is in my vehicle. Like this, I usually do not even roll to a stop, they just wave me through.

T other than them wanting to talk about a deer in the back of the truck.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
The vidoes I've seen on YT have the agents asking if you are an American citizen. They didn't ask about any weapons.
However the purpose of the vids were drivers being antagonistic to the agents. They are exercising their freedom to NOT be stopped and questioned without cause. It looked like a big hassle to me.
At no time was any mention of weapons made.

I understand the drivers point but it would have been a lot quicker for them to say "I'm American" and let it go at that.

I can kinda see the point... But.. Are the ones complaining about the stops also complaining about illegal immigrants?

Being randomly stopped is one thing but driving through a checkpoint being ask to verify citizenship?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I came up through one of those choke points with van load of citizens a few years ago. The agents were so busy observing something in the distance that they didn't even look our way as we slowly drifted though. The dogs didn't pay us any attention either.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Are the ones complaining about the stops also complaining about illegal immigrants?
It would be ironic if he gets car jacked by an illegal.
"Why doesn't the goverment do something about these illegals?" Would be his line.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
I have been through the check point outside of Eagle Pass heading back towards San Antonio. Both front windows down, drivers license in hand, and both hands on the wheel. Yes Sir, Yes Sir, No Sir, Thank you Sir. That's how it went.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I have been through the check point outside of Eagle Pass heading back towards San Antonio. Both front windows down, drivers license in hand, and both hands on the wheel. Yes Sir, Yes Sir, No Sir, Thank you Sir. That's how it went.

That's how to handle it. :clap::clap:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I've been through the Sarita checkpoint between Harlingen and Kingsville, TX several times. I think if you have a USA license plate and "look like" Americans they will only ask for your citizenship to see if you understand the question and answer without an accent. I've never stood at a dead stop at the guard post more than 5-10 seconds.

After all its not illegal to have a gun in this country (so far). Try going the other way into Mexico and be prepared for jail time.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
You can get hung up in some of the ICE/Border Patrol stops coming out of Laredo as far as traffic hang ups... I have never been through in a cage; only on a bike or trike and when they look at me and the missus, only a howdy is needed. I might get mistook for a Mexican fella especially when I get cooked in the sun but the missus is definitely anglo blondy looking... If they did stop me and ask for my license, I would volunteer I was carrying as I suspect they are LEOs technically. Those boys are just doing their job. As has been noted, I wouldn't go over the bridge carrying as you won't come back for 10 to 15.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
They do these check points in my area once in a while; they used to post the results in the local paper a couple of weeks later, it always amazes me how many people are arrested or ticketed during the blockade. It is funny because the Sheriff, State Troopers, Boarder Patrol, and Fish & Wildlife all participate. Fish & Wildlife have lobster sniffer dogs, and someone always gets popped for over limit, out of season, or under sized lobster.

If I do approach one I will always have DL, CWP, Insurance and registration in my hand as I approach. I almost always get waved by with no questions asked.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
In all my 100's of travels from El Paso to Brownsville, never once have I been asked anything other than being US citizen, where I'm from and where I'm going, then adios. Have always been armed (revolver in console or glovebox and before CHL).

Only time I really sweated was when leaving McAllen for SATX and a maquila plant in Mexico asked me to come by before leaving - I did, forgetting I had my revolver in console. Remembered as I was returning to US and like to have messed my pants. I wasn't worried about getting caught on the US side, but the
Mexican side had me sweating bullets - literally. Made it through both customs without a problem, but I had to stop off at a b Edinburg bar for a few drinks to settle my nerves. Never made that mistake again. LOL

BTW - jealous you'll be traveling 118 and I won't be. I've spent a lot of time in The Bend area. I read yesterday they have reopened the Boquillas border crossing.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
I crossed back into 'Merica from Mexico when I was a little kid with the parents and the BP started giving me a "hard time"; I was young and they where making my parents laugh. I made the BP guy laugh even harder; when he asked me to "prove" I was an American I sang "50 nifty United States" to him.

Stuck in your head now, isn't it?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BTW - jealous you'll be traveling 118 and I won't be. I've spent a lot of time in The Bend area. I read yesterday they have reopened the Boquillas border crossing.
The last I heard, the opening was delayed, I'll let you know.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
OK Lets think this out?? You have a CCW!!! You tell BP you are carrying and have a permit. You have to be a citizen and qualify to get one!

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
The last I heard, the opening was delayed, I'll let you know.
You are correct. Found the article and reread - sounds as if it's ready to go, but the bureaucrats are not.

People using the automated kiosks will be required to have a passport or other documents accepted for entry under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.
Read more: Automated port at Boquillas to open soon - San Antonio Express-News

Now I remember why I got a passport card along with my passport. I don't believe a drivers license alone is accepted any longer.

Edit: Documents requiremented for land crossing https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/74/session/L3NpZC9Tb1BGTURsbA==/search/1 not sure what an "enhanced drivers license" may be.

Have fun.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Unless you're in the Federal government and supply guns to the drug lords which results in the murder of border patrol agents. In that case, you not only do not have to go to jail, you do not even have to answer questions about it, nor lose your job over it.

After all its not illegal to have a gun in this country (so far). Try going the other way into Mexico and be prepared for jail time.

·
Banned
401 Posts
Howdy,

+1!

I did the same thing back in April '10 when I went to Laredo.

Paul

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I been seeing a lot of border patrol here in Louisiana all they have to do is make a pass around the Homedepot's but I never seen them do that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts