Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another formula for bullet lube, Ha.
Hey guys, and gals, I finally came up with a pan lube mix that actually works for me. This makes about ten trys that have all been less than usuable.
Someone here suggested using lanolin. Probably the only thing I haven't tried. Ha.
Anyway, The jar of lanolin is made by Carmex. (Original healing ointment). It comes in a 4 ounce jar and is made up of:
Petrolium
Lanolin
Bees wax
Mineral oil
Coco Butter
And some other stuff.
Bought it at the local drug store. Cost less than $2.00.
It's really sticky! I added about two heaping table spoons to about a full cup of my already made up wax. I think about half of that would have sufficed.
Next time I'm gonna try parrifin wax, crayons and lanolin.
I never did have a good way to get the boolits out of the lube since I don't have a lube/sizer. I found a small length of tubing at the hardware store that almost exactly matched my boolits and used it as a Kookie Kutter.
I hope this is of some use to some of you folks.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I use Crisco Shortning, Bee's Wax and a little lanolin to make it sticky. You have to play with the ratio of the shortning and wax to get the texture you want but it shoots well with my cast bullets up to 1300 fps. or so. I use it for my Black Powder loads in 45 70 and 45 Colt and my 45 acp and 38 spl cast loads.

Reactions: BBGun

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
yeah, and besides that; with lanolin you don't get chapped bullets.

Reactions: BBGun and RichO

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Even though they work, paraffin wax and crayons will make more smoke when fired.

·
Registered
15,361 Posts
For those looking for a good price on Bees wax, go to a hardware store. Buy a contractors pack of toilet bowl wax rings. 100% beeswax and it's pretty sticky as it is. might have to play around with formulas to make the right consistancy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
For a lube base, you can't beat beeswax. As far as toilet rings, years ago they were made of beeswax, but rarely made of anything better than "junk" wax today...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts