Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall some chatter on here about the Roughneck. My LGS had two in the case for the longest time, and now they have one. Yes, it's a chunk of steel to say the least for only being a two shot, but it'll definitely slow down the ammo usage at the range. The hammer is obnoxiously strong and the trigger pull feels like 100 pounds(I'll check and update you guys later). Cost was $266.

·
Registered
24,792 Posts
Congrats on your new folding gun. That looks like a real palm pounder.

Reactions: funflyer

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The beauty of handloading is that I have some very nice powderpuff loads developed. One of my favorites is 3.5 grains of Clays behind a 230gn cast round nose. Those give a blistering 665fps from a 5" 1911 so the Roughneck shouldn't be too punishing with those. I checked the trigger pull earlier, and it's between 10-11 pounds. The odd thing about this trigger is it moves aft and down at the same time so it feels much heavier than it really is.

·
Super Moderator
36,977 Posts
I've mentioned them before. I've always been attracted to the concept and design of the Bond arms and when they marketed the roughneck at the lower price point I was even more interested. I'd probably go for a 38 Special. Congratulations on the new deringer... I'll be watching for the range report!

·
Super Moderator
21,621 Posts
Well one option if two shots don't stop them you can beat them to death with it.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
35,281 Posts
They have it in .45 Colt/.410. Be a heckuva deal for snakes.

c

·
Registered
14,053 Posts
While not Roughneck, I do have a BAD, and in all honesty it is not a hand pounder in any manner. I have fired 45lc, shot shells, and a number of other calibers, all behave well with in the tame range of fun to shoot. The over all mass of the little gun makes for some fun range times.
On the other side of the story, you can carry a nice semi auto with a respectable round capacity much easier to conceal and with less weight on your hip.

·
Registered
14,053 Posts
While not Roughneck, I do have a BAD, and in all honesty it is not a hand pounder in any manner. I have fired 45lc, shot shells, and a number of other calibers, all behave well with in the tame range of fun to shoot. The over all mass of the little gun makes for some fun range times.
On the other side of the story, you can carry a nice semi auto with a respectable round capacity much easier to conceal and with less weight on your hip.
I forgot to make mention, that the Bond Arms was so heavy that when my boat sank out on open waters that I'm certain that the BAD landed in the bottom silt of the lake well before the boats anchor did.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Congrats on your new Roughneck!

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Here's mine. It's a Cowboy Defender. I bought it NIB at an auction a few years back. Since this picture I've added a few more barrel sets. 3" .410 slugs is probably the worst in recoil.

There is a trick to the trigger, Pull down while pressing and much of the god awful poundage goes away. It's not designed to pull straight back. Once you figure it out, 25 yard shots are possible.

Maloy

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's mine. It's a Cowboy Defender. I bought it NIB at an auction a few years back. Since this picture I've added a few more barrel sets. 3" .410 slugs is probably the worst in recoil.

There is a trick to the trigger, Pull down while pressing and much of the god awful poundage goes away. It's not designed to pull straight back. Once you figure it out, 25 yard shots are possible.

Maloy
I didn't know squat about these until the last few days. How cool that all the barrels, length and caliber, can be used with the one grip frame. I'm definitely going to get a 45 colt/410 and 357/38 barrel, and maybe the 10mm.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
When I bought it, it had 3" .44 Special barrels. Most of the barrels I have are 3.5" as that is the longest allowed for CAS.

Maloy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts