Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will admit it, I have always been a closet Deringer admirer. Probably a result of being raised while being steeped in westerns where the gambler had one stashed in the vest pocket or the dance hall girl had one in her garter. The Cobra was always the bottom of the rung for price and quality IIRC and Bond Arms was the Cadillac of the genre in fit, finish and of course price. Two things have held me up being that price and the fact that they are rather large firearms. I figure for deep concealment that my TCP is smaller, thinner and lighter. Add to that the capacity and the romance goes out the window.

Now my decision is made more complicated. Bond Arms has produced the "Roughneck" series in various calibers and have drastically reduced the cost by 40% and more by delivering a gun with a matte finish. The savings for them is in the reduced cost of the high polish that they have always produced.

I've never seen, held or fired one but that deep seated attraction remains. I'd probably be looking at a smaller caliber than 45...probably a 38 Special.

For those familiar with the Bond models, talk me into or out of the Roughneck. They are currently marketed in the 275-285 dollar range.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
The ones I've seen are great. There are many arguments against derringers, but one for them trumps them all. That's "I want it." I have had several over the years, my favorite being the American Derringer DA 38. I believe the company no longer exists. It was a DAO model on the Hi-Standard pattern. The .45 models are okay with cowboy loads, but Silvertips were challenging.

If you want one, get it.

·
Registered
18,482 Posts
I like all of their derringers but I've still got my heart set on a Bullpup 9, can't imagine when I'll ever be able to afford one though.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Bond Arms derringers are B-I-G. Well made, accurate but BIG.

Too big to just be a 2 shooter, in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
34,948 Posts
I've been wanting one for a while. Last year, the cottonmouth hatch was bad this time of year. I was out checking the rain gauge before going to town when I nearly stepped on a 4 footer. I jumped back drawing my TH9c and it took me 4 shots to finally hit the head of the moving snake. I loaded my mini revolver with .22 mag shot for the rest of the snake hatch. My weekend neighbor bought his wife a Heritage .22 with mag cylinder. They had a nest of the vipers over there. IMHO, the previous owner wasn't smart digging that tank behind their house virtually in the back yard.

Anyway, a .410 carries more whop than snake shot and it's always there if it's pocket size. I'd probably belt carry it, though. The limited firepower is not a problem for this use. Snakes, while deadly, ain't shootin' back. :D The increased probability of a first shot hit would be welcome. And, yes, there is the Judge, a huge, heavy weapon that I'd never carry. I have sometimes carried my TC Contender cross draw when headed to the woods, but it's a big, heavy gun, also. I have shot game with it, but it's a bit much to have on me when I happen upon a snake.

Anyway, if you wanna get serious about it, I could load some .357 brass with number 8 shot or just buy some CCI shot loads and it'd be considerably better than a mini revolver and lighter than the"rowdy", or the "roughneck", but this is a good enough reason to get a new weapon. :rofl:

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
125 Posts
agree with you -handled one in .45 acp . they are big ,heavy , chunky and clumsy to cock . well made and strong certainly . be fun to play with but i think i am better served by
a 5shot .38 revolver (almost same size ). the bond is probably devastating in action on both ends -----------

·
Super Moderator
35,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been wanting one for a while. Last year, the cottonmouth hatch was bad this time of year. I was out checking the rain gauge before going to town when I nearly stepped on a 4 footer. I jumped back drawing my TH9c and it took me 4 shots to finally hit the head of the moving snake. I loaded my mini revolver with .22 mag shot for the rest of the snake hatch. My weekend neighbor bought his wife a Heritage .22 with mag cylinder. They had a nest of the vipers over there. IMHO, the previous owner wasn't smart digging that tank behind their house virtually in the back yard.

Anyway, a .410 carries more whop than snake shot and it's always there if it's pocket size. I'd probably belt carry it, though. The limited firepower is not a problem for this use. Snakes, while deadly, ain't shootin' back. :D The increased probability of a first shot hit would be welcome. And, yes, there is the Judge, a huge, heavy weapon that I'd never carry. I have sometimes carried my TC Contender cross draw when headed to the woods, but it's a big, heavy gun, also. I have shot game with it, but it's a bit much to have on me when I happen upon a snake.

Anyway, if you wanna get serious about it, I could load some .357 brass with number 8 shot or just buy some CCI shot loads and it'd be considerably better than a mini revolver and lighter than the"rowdy", or the "roughneck", but this is a good enough reason to get a new weapon. :rofl:
You still have a NAA mini revolver right? Maybe a 22 shot shell could be the answer? Not sure how those pattern however.

agree with you -handled one in .45 acp . they are big ,heavy , chunky and clumsy to cock . well made and strong certainly . be fun to play with but i think i am better served by
a 5shot .38 revolver (almost same size ). the bond is probably devastating in action on both ends -----------
I was looking for a side by side comparison of the Bond Deringer to a TCP and didn't find one. If it's close to a Taurus 605, I'm already good then in that regard.

But...it IS a Deringer after all...:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
34,948 Posts
You still have a NAA mini revolver right? Maybe a 22 shot shell could be the answer? Not sure how those pattern however.
Yeah, I load my Black Widow with 5 rounds of .22 mag rat shot, currently. Haven't use one on a snake, but it should work and it's super light in a pocket and always there.

See, now you're talking me out of it. :rofl:

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Super Moderator
34,948 Posts
The old Davis was light and small, but in no way comparable to the Bond in quality. The Davis was pretty junky.

·
Registered
993 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
have one of these in .45/410 crude but fun -kind of like shooting firecrackers in your hand .favorite load is 2 lubricated .45 round balls over unique powder .

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
35,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Super Moderator
35,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
have one of these in .45/410 crude but fun -kind of like shooting firecrackers in your hand .favorite load is 2 lubricated .45 round balls over unique powder .
My FFL used to carry the Leinad Derringers before they ceased making them in TN. I was intrigued at the concept and price, but put off by the grip and perceived discomfort just handling them in his shop.

https://www.guns.com/news/review/leinad-double-derringer

·
Registered
125 Posts
i made mine out of a parts kit that sold for $25.00 back in the 1990`s . you had to fabricate your own breech face and weld it to the frame . have several other strange
configurations like a muzzle loader barrel , and a manually operated revolver on the same frame. mostly just oddities but safe enough if you realize their limitations ---

·
Super Moderator
34,948 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reactions: NativeTexan

·
Super Moderator
34,948 Posts
Yep, looks like the beast. Still more'n it's worth IMHO. :D

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
I will admit it, I have always been a closet Deringer admirer. Probably a result of being raised while being steeped in westerns where the gambler had one stashed in the vest pocket or the dance hall girl had one in her garter. The Cobra was always the bottom of the rung for price and quality IIRC and Bond Arms was the Cadillac of the genre in fit, finish and of course price. Two things have held me up being that price and the fact that they are rather large firearms. I figure for deep concealment that my TCP is smaller, thinner and lighter. Add to that the capacity and the romance goes out the window.

Now my decision is made more complicated. Bond Arms has produced the "Roughneck" series in various calibers and have drastically reduced the cost by 40% and more by delivering a gun with a matte finish. The savings for them is in the reduced cost of the high polish that they have always produced.

I've never seen, held or fired one but that deep seated attraction remains. I'd probably be looking at a smaller caliber than 45...probably a 38 Special.

For those familiar with the Bond models, talk me into or out of the Roughneck. They are currently marketed in the 275-285 dollar range.
Dang Dude, here I am trying to cull a few pistol from my herd and now here you are leading me to a buyers auction. NOT NICE!, But appreciated!!

I had not heard about the Roughneck until your post here.

As for the old style Bond Arms Derringer, they are big, thick, heavy pieces of pretty metal bullet spitting wonders to enjoy. Down side is the size and weight and the ability to carry only two rounds of ammunition. Due to the size and weight they are not really all that concealable with gives way to much better carry choices for one to choose from.

I have a couple of holsters to choose from, boot, ankle and belt. The belt is the preferred holster simply due to the weight. The boot holster tends to want the top of the boot to curl inward causing both the boot leather and the Bond Arms to rub on the leg. The ankle holster is like wearing ankle weights, only the Bond Arms doesn't hold in place like ankle weight do.

Compared to other derringers that I have owned which has included all the manufactures mentioned in the post above there is none that match the quality of build or comes close in the appearance arena with the Bond Arms. You can tell that there is a pride taken by the employees of the company from fit to finish. Customer service is top notch.

As for shooting the Bond Arm derringer, they are extremely accurate at a reasonable distance. And much to the surprise of many do not hurt to hold it back in the grip of your hand and fire away. The weight helps to absorb the recoil and the shape of the pistol butt helps to distribute the pressure felt in your hand. The ability to change barrel lengths and calibers is a very nice added feature. The selection of barrels is impressive as well. I have fired 4:10, 45lc, 45acp, 357mag, 38spl, 327mag in mine with no pain.

I did notice that the Roughneck description does mention that it will accept all Bond Arms barrels which does now make a very affordable entry platform for those looking to experience derringer shooting.

The best price that I could find on gunbroker for a Roughneck with the 38spl/357mag barrel was $230 plus $14 for shipping. This really makes me kind of froggy.

Thanks for the heads up on the Roughneck.

And remember the abbreviation for Bond Arms Derringer is: BAD As in BAD to the Bone!!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I've the Cowboy Defender, no trigger guard. I bought it used 3" in .44 Special, It sucks! I then had to have the .357/.38 barrels in 3.5". That wasn't good enough. I then needed a 3.5" 9mm set. It still sucked as I then needed the 4.25" 3".410/.45 Colt, and onto .45 ACP in 3.5". I still wasn't happy with it. I then had to have .45 Colt in 3.5". Just before the holidays, I convinced myself that I the needed, to round it off, a 3" .22LR set.

Now you post this, and I have to wonder if I now need the .22 Mag set.:soapbox: :icon_ devil:

I say go for it so you can have the same curse and misery I have in searching for barrels. I also won't mention you pull down and towards you with the trigger to be able to make 25yd. shots. They suck so bad, I cannot bring myself to part with it and curse someone else with it.

Maloy--Seriously, mine has been a blast and most of my barrels took a few years to find good deals on used.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts