Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Should all field law enforcement officers who routinely interact with citizens (those who patrol and make traffic stops and work traffic accidents, those who respond to calls from their dispatcher, and SWAT / TAC teams) be required to wear body cameras?

Yes or No

Why?

I say yes, I think they should be equipped with body cameras every time they step outside the walls of their respective departments in order to provide clear and unfettered audio and video documentation of each encounter they have with John Q. Citizen.

1. This practice should greatly reduce the amount of blatant lies and false reports which are so often attributed our nation's dedicated Law Enforcement Officers who perform their duties with dignity, honor, integrity and bravery. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson would have considerably less fodder to sink their teeth into IF the honorable officer under scrutiny had audio and video of every traffic stop, every arrest, and every encounter he or she has with the public.

2. Being equipped a with body camera would, conversely, provide clear and unfettered audio and video documentation of each encounter of a police officer with John Q. Citizen when the officer demonstrates unreasonable, unnecessary and excessive physical brutality and force in the course of his or her duties. In these cases, departments could make better determinations of whether or not a particular officer should be dismissed from duty; and should enable a grand jury more transparent evidence so they could bring clear and justified indictments against rogue law enforcement officers for their unsavory behavior exhibited against those they are sworn to serve.

If I were a law enforcement officer in this day and age, there's no way I'd want to hit the streets without being equipped with a body camera.

Feel free to share your vote and your reasons.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
No.

They should be allowed to do their jobs. The public has the video front covered.

Reactions: ozzy and Smokewagon

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Yes they should, it eliminates the doubts as to their actions.

Reactions: MilProGuy and ozzy

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Only if they want to enjoy qualified immunity and other legal privileges. No video, you are just the same as the rest of us. You cannot wear a uniform to testify, nor can the prosecution mention or refer to the fact you are a cop. You are just another witness.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
They have for years it's a show called COPS. I think they should, it would eliminate the he said, he said BS. It would make the DA's job easier and put al sharton out of a j.. well career!;)

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Yes they should, it eliminates the doubts as to their actions.
There was plenty of video of the situation in NY and yet the Grand Jury who had all the other evidence as well as the video came to a different conclusion than the people who want to raise trouble over it, so video did squat in that situation and is no guarantee of more than squat. Had the officer had a body cam all you would have seen was the suspect's back up close and it wouldn't have helped one bit.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
There was plenty of video of the situation in NY and yet the Grand Jury who had all the other evidence as well as the video came to a different conclusion than the people who want to raise trouble over it, so video did squat in that situation and is no guarantee of more than squat. Had the officer had a body cam all you would have seen was the suspect's back up close and it wouldn't have helped one bit.
The grand jury had the ability to make an informed decision, and one of the six cops standing there would have had a good shot with a body cam even if a bystander had not recorded it. People frequently disagree with juries and grand juries nothing is going to change that, look at the OJ verdict. The video clearly eliminated a possible murder charge for the cop from nearly anyones perspective.

Reactions: ozzy and MilProGuy

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
The grand jury had the ability to make an informed decision, and one of the six cops standing there would have had a good shot with a body cam even if a bystander had not recorded it. People frequently disagree with juries and grand juries nothing is going to change that, look at the OJ verdict. The video clearly eliminated a possible murder charge for the cop from nearly anyones perspective.
I would say the protestors don't agree with you.

I am also against the intrusive nature of the video in situations that have no business being on video.

I am also against the idea of a blanket "All police should..." Law (which it would have to be) nation wide. The more laws and controls you demand on Cops on a national basis the more control you take away from the local citizens and the closer you move to a "Nation wide" police force.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I have one that I purchased myself. It is a tiny, 720p resolution +audio, with a 16GB micro SDHC card. It sits in my breast pocket, below my badge, with just the tiny lens sticking out. I turn it on if I am ever in a circumstance with "public" contact.

When not on duty, I always have my smart phone in my breast pocket. If a situation ever looks even remotely threatening, I open a free app called ICE BLACKBOX

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iceblackbox.iceblackboxapp

This records audio and video, records GPS location, and in real time remotely transmits and stores the video and audio on an external cloud server. Even if the phone is taken and destroyed, the video is still on the cloud server. The video can be emailed, linked, saved, etc. as decided by the user, but cannot be readily deleted from the remote server.

My wife and kids all have this on their phones and use it regularly. One daughter always turns it on when she leaves her building and walks to her parked car. Another used it last summer to record a traffic stop; it would be useful (if there is time) to document a potential firearms confrontation.

Here is the information:

Description

ICE BlackBox sends your audio, video, and GPS information to our secure server where it becomes a permanent record of threatening situations. Videos cannot be deleted from the device, preventing an attacker from forcing you to delete an incident against your will. Use the app to prevent an attack from escalating by holding up your iPhone and stating “I have you on ICE!”

Features:

• One-button streaming of audio, video, and GPS – Our simplified camera interface is designed to be easy to use in stressful situations. Press record, and your video and GPS location are automatically uploaded to our server.

• ***NEW FEATURE*** Just added, you are now able to Report Animal Abuse directly to a team sponsored by the Humane Society of the United States who will act on behalf of the animal. Local law enforcement, Humane Society, Animal Control and even local district attorney are provided the evidence. This information is used to rescue the animal and bring animal abusers to justice.

• In-app 911 dialing, with auto-notification to your emergency contacts – If you need to contact 911, this app does more than just dial, it sends your video and location to your emergency contacts by text or email, automatically.

• Review and Share Videos – If the recording is not a 911 emergency but you still wish to send it to someone like law enforcement or school officials, you can easily send the links by text or email.

• Videos cannot be deleted within the app – This is to protect you from being forced to delete the video during an incident. Remember, this is like having a silent witness that won’t back out.

Uses:

• Prevent Bullying
• Combat Domestic Abuse
• Fight Hate Crime
• Defend Against Assault
• Prevent Child Abuse
• Report Animal Abuse Evidence Directly to Law Enforcement
• Document Workplace Harassment
• Document Traffic Incidents
• Record Law-Enforcement Stops
• Safeguard Walks at Night
• When you travel
• Whenever you feel unsafe or threatened

ICE BlackBox is in partnership with the National Sheriffs Association and the National Neighborhood Watch. The Human Society of the United States has endorsed this application for the use of reporting animal abuse.

·
35,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have one that I purchased myself. It is a tiny, 720p resolution +audio, with a 16GB micro SDHC card. It sits in my breast pocket, below my badge, with just the tiny lens sticking out. I turn it on if I am ever in a circumstance with "public" contact.

When not on duty, I always have my smart phone in my breast pocket. If a situation ever looks even remotely threatening, I open a free app called ICE BLACKBOX

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iceblackbox.iceblackboxapp

This records audio and video, records GPS location, and in real time remotely transmits and stores the video and audio on an external cloud server. Even if the phone is taken and destroyed, the video is still on the cloud server. The video can be emailed, linked, saved, etc. as decided by the user, but cannot be readily deleted from the remote server.

My wife and kids all have this on their phones and use it regularly. One daughter always turns it on when she leaves her building and walks to her parked car. Another used it last summer to record a traffic stop; it would be useful (if there is time) to document a potential firearms confrontation.

Here is the information:

Description

ICE BlackBox sends your audio, video, and GPS information to our secure server where it becomes a permanent record of threatening situations. Videos cannot be deleted from the device, preventing an attacker from forcing you to delete an incident against your will. Use the app to prevent an attack from escalating by holding up your iPhone and stating “I have you on ICE!”

Features:

• One-button streaming of audio, video, and GPS – Our simplified camera interface is designed to be easy to use in stressful situations. Press record, and your video and GPS location are automatically uploaded to our server.

• ***NEW FEATURE*** Just added, you are now able to Report Animal Abuse directly to a team sponsored by the Humane Society of the United States who will act on behalf of the animal. Local law enforcement, Humane Society, Animal Control and even local district attorney are provided the evidence. This information is used to rescue the animal and bring animal abusers to justice.

• In-app 911 dialing, with auto-notification to your emergency contacts – If you need to contact 911, this app does more than just dial, it sends your video and location to your emergency contacts by text or email, automatically.

• Review and Share Videos – If the recording is not a 911 emergency but you still wish to send it to someone like law enforcement or school officials, you can easily send the links by text or email.

• Videos cannot be deleted within the app – This is to protect you from being forced to delete the video during an incident. Remember, this is like having a silent witness that won’t back out.

Uses:

• Prevent Bullying
• Combat Domestic Abuse
• Fight Hate Crime
• Defend Against Assault
• Prevent Child Abuse
• Report Animal Abuse Evidence Directly to Law Enforcement
• Document Workplace Harassment
• Document Traffic Incidents
• Record Law-Enforcement Stops
• Safeguard Walks at Night
• When you travel
• Whenever you feel unsafe or threatened

ICE BlackBox is in partnership with the National Sheriffs Association and the National Neighborhood Watch. The Human Society of the United States has endorsed this application for the use of reporting animal abuse.
Ira,

I had no idea that such technology existed. It sounds fascinating and appears to be something that I'd put off buying a couple of guns for.

Thank you for sharing this intriguing article with us.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Well, I am not too crazy about the PETA types being able to report "Animal Abuse" to some private nation-wide" organization nationwide. We had a woman here who complained once because livestock were "out in the rain without those blankets that some people put on their horses" . She thought an entire herd of cattle should be "brought in somewhere out of the rain". Great , give her instant reporting.

I also rather worry that, as most technology does, this might expand so that the "tree huggers" around here can instantly report "environmental abuse" to the EPA .

That rather turns everyone into the people that report on their neighbors like we have been warned about in some "speculative literature". Will it someday lead to reporting gunshots to a national data base ?

Sounds like tinfoil I know, but 20 years ago the whole capability, including the Humane Society thing, would have sounded like tinfoil.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Well if I was a LEO in these times I reckon I would go with a camera just to CMA....

Reactions: ozzy and MilProGuy

·
35,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well if I was a LEO in these times I reckon I would go with a camera just to CMA....
Me too.;)

Because nobody else is going to do it for you.

Reactions: gbusmech

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I cases where the police are honest, body cameras have reduced citizen complaints by 80%. in other jurisdictions noted for "problems" the cameras mysteriously malfunction when they are most needed. Body cameras are a great technology, but there has to be a process that holds police accountable for making sure they work. The camera should be on par with a gun as a necessary piece of police equipment.

There also needs to be mandatory disclosure of any recorded incident. Remember, police body cameras help law-abiding police and citizens alike.

·
Registered
29,949 Posts
No, it's a waste of tax payers money and will not solve any perceived problems. Good cops will continue to do their jobs and the minute few who give the rest a bad name will continue to **** up with or without a camera.

·
Super Moderator
40,616 Posts
I have mixed feelings on the whole body camera for LEO debate. I know for one I would not want one on me some times when I need to hit the facilities. If they can be turned on and off then they defeat the purpose as they always seem to be off at the wrong time.

If they are always on and an officer uses a public restroom this could certainly be a violation of privacy issue.

A while back our local Sheriff Dept installed GPS monitors in the patrol cars so they could locate an officer if there was an issue. The officers quickly learned how to disable them. Long story short, the disabling of the GPS most likely contributed to the death of another officer. Of course this was pretty hush hush and never came out in internal affairs report. I could go into more detail but this is not the place. Point is if the cameras can be turned off they will be at the wrong times, if they can't be turned off then it could put officers in uncomfortable situations when calling to nature.

Is the technology there to have the cameras remotely turned off and on by dispatch? Officer calls in for restroom break camera remotely gets turned off. Visual indicator for officer to confirm camera is off. Restroom break done, call to dispatch, camera back on. Not perfect but I would be more inclined to want them then.

·
Super Moderator
40,616 Posts
...When not on duty, I always have my smart phone in my breast pocket. If a situation ever looks even remotely threatening, I open a free app called ICE BLACKBOX...
What is the cost of this service? Can you delete the videos from the cloud at a latter time? I see it available for Apple, there is no cost in the description.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Ice Blackbox is free. I believe that user can later delete videos through a password protected method. The security will not allow third parties to delete videos.

Sent from my Huawei Phablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
I cases where the police are honest, body cameras have reduced citizen complaints by 80%. in other jurisdictions noted for "problems" the cameras mysteriously malfunction when they are most needed. Body cameras are a great technology, but there has to be a process that holds police accountable for making sure they work. The camera should be on par with a gun as a necessary piece of police equipment.

There also needs to be mandatory disclosure of any recorded incident. Remember, police body cameras help law-abiding police and citizens alike.
There already is mandatory disclosure called th "Freedom of information act" . If these cameras are mandatory and provided as equipment the everything they record is part of the public record. That means EVERYTHING. Your daughter if she has been assaulted, you fooling around with your Secretary, though not illegal, if you are doing it when a cop comes up to ticket you for illegal parking, is now part of the public record and available to anyone who files an FOIA request...like your wife's attorney.

How many people who are against the NSA keeping phone records or police using a "stinger" to gather intel, are all for this on the grounds that this is a "good" kind of invasive technology? Really ? What have you got to worry about if you aren't doing anything wrong?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts