Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new PT92 on the Taurus site this model is listed as blued, but it sure looks parkerized. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
You are not the first TA.net member to make that observation. I hope Taurus update's their website to reflect this change.

·
Premium Member
11,012 Posts
The finish on all the new Taurus pistols and revolvers looks like a black parkerized finish. It's got to be some sort of flat black paint on finish. Only time will tell about it's durability. I just hope that two years down the line, it's not something else for the bashers to talk about.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
A Parkerized 92?? Owhwie!! I would just have to own that!!

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
If it's the same finish Armscor uses, then it should be pretty good. My RIA 1911 finish is still in excellent condition after almost three years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The finish on all the new Taurus pistols and revolvers looks like a black parkerized finish. It's got to be some sort of flat black paint on finish. Only time will tell about it's durability. I just hope that two years down the line, it's not something else for the bashers to talk about.
I feel its a phosphate parker finish the way it draws in oil.

·
22,034 Posts
It's got to be some sort of flat black paint on finish.
I'd say "got to be" is a bit too strong.

Bluing can look like parkerizing if the metal underneath isn't highly polished.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Administrator
39,475 Posts
I have a RIA shotgun that is parkerized , and I like it. I don't think I would care for a parkerized handgun. Just my preference. I once had a PT92, I bought in 1991 I believe it was, that was blued, but the barrel had a parkerized appearance, but I don't think that's what it was.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Parkerizing is too expensive for such a budget production gun.

If cutting costs was the name of the game, which it is, then it'd just be "matte bluing" which is the same as the previous glossy bluing without as much prepwork to the metal before bluing. Cheaper that way.

Shouldn't be any differences in durability, doesn't show fingerprints like the glossy stuff, but should still be cared for the same.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Maybe i will just try to give Taurus a call and see if they will tell me what it is.

If you do let us know. I have three parkerized guns, two I use in the field for hunting. My fav finish

·
Administrator
17,667 Posts
Most new Taurus Pistols are now coming in a flat Black Tennifer finish, but the online catalog has yet to catch up with that fact. For Pistols that are still Blued, such as the PT1911, the Bluing is the Black Oxide form.
A coating of Ballistol will make the Pistol look shiny blued. My 3rd Gen PT111 and PT709 are finished in the Black Tennifer, but with a nice protective coat of Ballistol, look Blued.

ize Comparison of Taurus PT111 to Taurus PT709. Both in 9mm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts