Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this S&W model 19-5 .357 mag.
www.sharpcast.com/redirect/desktop/1.0/user/mfetty/photos?album=21635_92921617449201&photo=21635_92921617449202&size=image

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I was able to get into the photo album with some messing around but I don't see a pic of a Smith, just a pic of a Glock and a Taurus Mill Pro (or maybe just Mill).

Steelheart

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I just fixed it, not sure though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
www.sharpcast.com/redirect/desktop/1.0/user/mfetty/photos?album=21635_92921617449404&photo=21635_92921617449405&size=image

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Yeap, your new link works.

Thats a bit of damage, any idea what the load was? I'm thinking double (or more) powder charge???

Steelheart

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We think the reloader doubled the powder. It has done it before on us. Dad sold the reloader to someone not long after.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I didn't see any damage, looked like an early model S&W Derringer.. ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it's a little hard to shot now. :D

·
Super Moderator
35,214 Posts
There is a danger of double charging light .38 loads or magnum loads with dense, fast burning powders. Proper safe procedures and concentration on what you are doing can avoid this. I ALWAYS check levels when I get through charging cases. If one case looks higher in level, I dump it and recharge it. But, I also use good procedures, like taking the primed case out of the case tray from upside down postition, charging it, and placing it right side up. The Lee powder through expander die and auto disc powder measure helps a LOT in this.

Now days, I reload on progressives mostly. I don't just sit down and start crankin' out loads. I take my time, inspect every case with an inspection mirror. The chance of a double charge is greatly reduced on a progressive, but the chance it didn't get its charge is increased and that's not a good thing, either.

I've been handloading for 40 years now and have not had an overcharge ever. I'm quite careful and use safe double and triple checks and procedures when I load.

I like to use bulky powders when I can. For .357s, I load 2400. It is physically impossible to fit a double charge of 2400 in a case. You can fit a triple or quadruple charge of a dense, fast powder like red dot or bullseye in a case, but 2400 is very bulky. I load 17 grains behind a 140 grain bullet and the powder level is nearly up to the base of the bullet. The new "trailboss" powder is a fast powder made for light cowboy loads that is quite bulky and prevents overcharges while still having a fast burn rate. However, I still use bullseye a lot, haven't tried the trail boss. I don't think you could fit trail boss in a wadcutter load. I load 2.7 grains of bullseye behind my wadcutters and it's very accurate and economical. Just have to use safe procedures in doing so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts