Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it with the cop cars and these new LED light bars. Are they trying to get them bright enough to cause eye damage?

I was going north on one of the two lane country roads here in Orlando and there was a car on each side of the road with their lights running. I could not see the road. I could not see the officer that was wildly waving his arms trying to get me to keep moving. They were so bright they were painful and definitely closed up my night vision.

I can't understand how blinding everyone that has to negotiate around these officers cars is improving safety.

Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I watched a tv program on how they were made and they were for the american police cars, intresting program, try yellow tinted glasses, but i agree, they are their to protect and be seen, not cause accidents

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm thinking gas welding goggles would be the correct defense...

·
21,932 Posts
I have complained to local LEOs for years about this. They tell me that most of these
light bars have night settings. My response is they are either not using that setting
or the night setting is useless.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Try it with ultra-light sensitive eyes sometimes. Even with dark glasses 24/7 it'll get me.

Sarge

Reactions: Armd2DaTeeth

·
10,379 Posts
Yep, I've actually called the sheriff's office and complained a few times. Especially when they leave their damn spotlight on, and it ends up being aimed right at you when you're oncoming so you can't see squat.

It's like those stupid blinking 8 bajillion candle strobes they've put on all school buses. Brighter isn't necessarily better.

Reactions: Armd2DaTeeth

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I hear you, these new LED lights are outright dangerous at night. Here there is a four way stop that they have put a flashing signal that alternates between a billion candle watt red light and a blinding white circle. After approaching the intersection you can't see to verify it is safe to cross through. I think that all the departments are going to these lights on their cars as well, being seen is one thing but these are overkill.

·
Registered
31,691 Posts
The Texas DPS is using these now and we make a lot of trips from Lubbock to Levelland to watch the grandsons play basketball, and some sneaky Pete always has someone pulled over out where it's the darkest. My wife complains and I'm the one driving. I'm too busy watching for the edge of the road trying to look down to complain. After a few Troopers get their Butts ran over, maybe they will get the hint.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Yet another example of where more=less.

·
Super Moderator
21,439 Posts
We have a really bad intersection that they put a bright flashing strobe when its red. by the time it turns, your about to have a seizure if not totally blind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts