Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend and I do a fair amount of paper punching and have been very happy to shoot up 2-4 boxes of ammo at at a time. We have been using the CCI Blazer brass in both 9mm and 45 acp. But, recently we noticed that Wally world has not had any on the shelves, just the WWB. I found a store yesterday that had 10 boxes of 9mm and bought the whole lot.(8.97 + tax per 50)
Has anyone else noticed the empty spaces on the shelves at their Wal-mart?
'Nuff said

·
Registered
382 Posts
Walmarts around here haven't sold anything othere that WWB and Remington for at least the last year. Never paid attention before. But I've never seen anything else in 9mm here but those two

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
My local Wally, got almost out of stock on many types. Then about a month ago, they were back in stock regular boxes, Bulk pack boxes, most grains and calibers available. But they never in the last year have they had any 45 colt, but they do carry 45 acp.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Wal-Mart is very sketchy on what they carry. One week they'll have a ton of something, then for three weeks afterward, they'll have none. I have found that it is very hit or miss.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I just bought 4 boxes of Blazer Brass .45 at Walmart a week ago. They had been out for several weeks. I think it is a simple matter of when they get some in, one person snatches up the whole lot or they go very quickly.

I also bought 2 boxes of .380. All they had were 50 round boxes of WWB -- no more 100 round boxes of WWB and no Remington at all. They were about $17.50 per box. Yikes!

·
Administrator
18,273 Posts
VegasGuy said:
I think it is a simple matter of when they get some in, one person snatches up the whole lot or they go very quickly.
Pretty much that! There certainly is some hoarding going on. I have seen it. Possibly some other factors at work, too. All combined, are driving prices of Ammunition and Reloading componenets, up!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought a box of 45 acp at Walmart a couple days ago. I think I paid a smidge under $15 for a box of 50. It's the first time I've bought ammo from there so I can't report any trends or anything, just that in Hampton, VA they're still selling Blazer brass ammo.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Azlester, you need to save the brass and get into reloading, ASAP.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Texasshooter
I have about 1000 rounds of 8mm brass and about 700 rounds of 45 acp saved up so far.
I used to reload 38 and 357 years ago... that is the intention now. just saving up the brass we shott 'till we get a press and get set up here to reload. just that at $8.97 for 50 rounds of 9mm it is hard to save funds for press when I can buy fact ammo at that price.
'Nuff said

·
Registered
532 Posts
Oddly, My Walmart is carrying more Blazer Brass than before. They used to only carry .40 S&W. Today, in addition, they had 9mm @ $8.99, and .45 ACP @ $14.99.
I actually bought two boxes of 9mm.

·
Super Moderator
21,796 Posts
Talked to the manager and she said that since blazer brass jumped there price to the same as wwb they can't sell them because everyone's buying wwb.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Here in Orlando i found the opposite I found wwb for the 9mm but for the 38spec they were out totally unless people buyin them up they want almost 30 bucks for 38s 9mm now 19+ bucks went up from 18 this for the box of 100 but yes i did notice very few blazer brass boxs

·
Administrator
35,626 Posts
I've been keeping an eye out at Walmart, and no matter how many boxes of Blazer Brass I buy, they just keep replenishing the stock......oh well. :)

·
Super Moderator
35,435 Posts
I bought some blazer brass 9mm couple of years ago, but haven't since prices went up. I dusted off the old Dillon SD and have been cranking out my own. I can't see 8 bucks or better a box when I can handload cast bullets for two fifty max a box. Get tired of chasing brass, but I shoot a lot of .38 so I won't have to.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well I found out what the deal was at my local Wal-marts... the sporting goods mgr 's at 2 stores felt that they didn't want to carry that much ammo so they cut back on what they were ordering in.
I did find a store that has decided to step up their inventory and had all the calibers in stock..20+ boxes of each. It is just a bit of a drive for me. Oh well, at least I know now where I can get what I need... will just have to buy 10-14 boxes at atime to save a bit on the gas. LOL
BYW I went to the gun show locally last weekend and the Wal-mart prices (9mm 8-97/box and 45acp 14.87/box) were the least expensive over anything at the show. Ecen relaods FMJ was 10+ per 50! I guess it is time to start setting up a press and do my own again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
azlester said:
I guess it is time to start setting up a press and do my own again.
Az, I'm with you on that one. I bought a 'how to' book this weekend and I'm reading up on it now. I've never done it before, it's a little daunting right now..

·
Super Moderator
35,435 Posts
Well, I never have to worry about my favorite loads, just crank 'em out as I need 'em. Casting really helps the cost. I cast for ALL my calibers. It's the slowest step, casting. The progressives whip 'em out pretty quick.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
My local WM has bene out of both .. WWB and Blaze Brass. I can't hardly get any from there when I have some money set aside for ammo. This has prompted me to get the reloading press, along with the potential of being able to shoot cheaper.

AZLester, if you're interested in selling your brass, I'd sure like to know. :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
My WM has Blazer.. saw it this weekend.
I've never bought any - is it any good? ( sure is cheap! )

Like to maybe tuck away several boxes for a rainy ( dangerous ?) day? Like a Hurricane or power outages, or Armageddon.. ??

I have a few boxes of the WWB put aside...

I hadn't really thought about 'needing' ammo, but something recently made me think...
Hmmm.. Hurricane Katrina really F'ed up New Orleans, shortages, no stores, no gas, lots of bad people on the prowl ... ( I have a generator, & gas, & food.. people might want to 'take' some of that away from me!)
I might want more than one or two magazines worth of ammo on hand, huh?!

( Even if it is cheap target range stuff like WWB or Blazer...)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts