Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Haven't tried their 9mm's, but the "Brass" branded .45 ACP's ran like a champ in both my 945 and 1911. I've also used the aluminum cased 9x18 Mak. rounds as well and they ran perfectly. Just wish the price of those was as cheap as the Russian Bear ammos.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I've not used Blazer (aluminum) in a 24/7, but I have used them in lots of other firearms and never had any problems....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info ,cause ive read so many conflicting reviews, what would you guys reccomend as pretty good ammo?

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
You did not say what you were looking to use the ammo for, but as you mentioned Blazer, I am going to guess that you want it for practice. Lots of folks use Winchester White Box like you can get at Walmart, and seem to have good success. I prefer the Federal brand so usually use either their standard FMJs or their American Eagle budget brand for practice and plinking: Federal Premium - Handgun Details Federal Premium - Handgun Details

As for defensive loads, I usually use Federal's Hydra-shok jacketed hollow points. It's a fantastic round with a lot of performance and street cred. I am currently using their 110 gr load in my .38 special. They have several options in the Hydra-shok for your 9mm: Federal Premium - Handgun Details. This 124 gr loading is one of the most commonly used.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
Are hollow points easy to defend in case of self defense or are fmj more justifiable?
To each his/her own but!
My job if confronted by an assailant that means to do me harm is to erase that threat, it will be my lawyers job to worry about defending the ammunition choice or number of rounds fired.
FMJ in my opionon is asking for trouble, especailly if used out in the street or public place.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
has anyone tried these in their 24/7 oss ds tactical, i was curious how they preform.
You don't mention if the question is in regards to aluminum cased or brass cased Blazer ammo?
in either regard in my particular 24/7 Pro D/S and 24/7 OSS D/S they both work fine in my weapons.
every weapon can be different and so any ammo should be checked for function in that particular weapon.

·
Super Moderator
26,864 Posts
I have a 2006 24/7, 9mm. When I bought it part of the deal was 800 Blazer brass and 1000 Blazer al. ALL rounds fired perfectly. Since then I have bought both from Wm. But now you mention it have not seen Blazer in any shape of fashion for a long time....did they tick WM off?
Currently I fire whatever is cheap. HD I use Extreme Shock. Expensive but I get it free....3-4 rounds at a time. I have tested it in the 24/7 and it works.

·
Administrator
17,596 Posts
I've used CCI Blazer and Blazer Brass in both my standard 9mm 24/7 Pro and .45 24/7 OSS without issue and with very good results downrange.

Are hollow points easy to defend in case of self defense or are fmj more justifiable?
Tactics and Actions matter more than ammunition type during an armed confrontation, in regards to justifiability. That said, Hollowpoints are generally preferable to limit penetration and transfer more energy to the Target. FMJ has been preferable against Hard Cover, but todays newer Bullet Designs have bridged the difference between the two Bullet Styles. Search Hornady Critical Duty, CCI Gold Dot Series, Winchester PDX, and Remington Gold Sabre Ammunition.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts