1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Now that would be an interesting anti-carjack round. Put a round in someone's face at a distance of one foot. I bet it would sure mess someone up. You won't be too happy, either.... Huh, what'd Ya Say?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I was more thinking that if KU wins the Nat'l Championship tonight, I don't have any fireworks (they'll be going off all over town), but shooting a few blanks would be doable. :)

I like your idea as well.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
I only have semi-auto handguns, and as such i'm not a fan of having a dripping gun just to fire off a few rounds in celebration. But for those who want them, it's definitely a safer alternative to unloading in the air like a Middle Eastern child on his birthday with an AK.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My wife's miserable ##%^-ex used to call and harass her - until I took to firing a 45LC primer
only into the phone mouthpiece. He quit after about the third application.

As far as a car-jacking deterrant, Does anyone remember Jon Erik Hexum? 1984, playing around
with a gun he loaded with blanks shot and killed himself? Blanks are dangerous at least at close
range.(how far dont know)

Now IF doing some injury IS your intent (LOL) how about if you put in a pinch of red pepper?
Even at several feet it will do more to disuade someone than just the noise might.

Heck take some empty brass and load with just primers and a -lot- of red pepper

PS For me, Id have a live one next up in the cyliinder. (Maybe even 4)

My hat is off to all of you who live in a state where you can carry a gun in the car to protect
yourself and your family.

BTW does anyone make a GPS unit with a "dont route me thru ghettos" function?? LOL

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has fired blanks...
No blanks or snap caps for me; I enjoy shooting live ammunition waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much! :D (Big ole' cheesey grin!)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I meant with my original question, but didn't ask, was would there be any issues in firing these in our revolvers? Like needing different/extra cleaning, or any other issues I'm not aware of?

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Well I was more thinking that if KU wins the Nat'l Championship tonight, I don't have any fireworks (they'll be going off all over town), but shooting a few blanks would be doable. :)

I like your idea as well.
Well, KU did not win, but they fought hard. I have been a Jayhawks fan from the time that I lived in Wichita. And BTW, the blanks idea is a great one. I can't feature that there would be any difference in the cleaning regimen. If you don't receive the precise answer you are looking for here, give Taurus a call and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I guess I meant with my original question, but didn't ask, was would there be any issues in firing these in our revolvers? Like needing different/extra cleaning, or any other issues I'm not aware of?
depends on what the blank was loaded with. most use BP with a wax or cardboard cap over the powder. these would need cleaning after using. but a empty case with a live primer is almost as loud and need minumal cleaning after. really just w wipe with a touch of oil to clean.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I have some old western movie blanks no box but they are head stamped 5 in 1, they fit .45 LC, 44-40, 38-40 pistols and 44-40, 38-40 rifles hence the 5 in 1. These blanks make quite a bit of smoke when fired ( for the camera I suppose ) and are very dirty. Whenever I fire any of these in my old SSA I spend the next several hours cleaning all the crud off of it. I don't know what kind of powder they are loaded with but it may be black powder so I don't take any chances and clean my six-gun right away. Hope this helps.....

1.1 USA.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts