Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
May I ask why the serpa?

I would check out hideous holsters if you're looking for kydex.

I just hate the locking and unholstering method required by the serpa, it's just begging for a ND IMHO. I think there are far better options for firearm retention.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does Hideous make OWB holsters? I'm looking to start carrying that way in colder weather when I have a coat on and then switch over to my Theis holster for warmer weather.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
yep, got one for my pt1911 and one for my g19. love 'em. website is hideousholsters.com I use the stealth holster for my g19 which can be found under the quick ship holsters, and the customizable holster for pt1911. Firm retention, but fast and smooth draw. Highly recommend them!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
maybe send an email to 'em. They are very receptive and have awesome CS. I imagine if they have the mold for a SR9c to make the other holsters they could more than likely make a steal version, it just might not ship too quick!

I've had 3 transactions with them, and they have been awesome to work with at every juncture of each order.

·
Super Moderator
19,742 Posts
May I ask why the serpa?

I would check out hideous holsters if you're looking for kydex.

I just hate the locking and unholstering method required by the serpa, it's just begging for a ND IMHO. I think there are far better options for firearm retention.
Actually, I'm a fan of my Serpa; of course I use it for my PT1911 which I only carry OWB when camping and hanging out in the woods. I like the forced indexing of the trigger finger. Sorry to sound like an ad . . . .

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got a serpa for my 840, because it was the only mag I could find, when I'm out walking the brush I don't mind it, but I'd never in a million years try to conceal with this thing, not to mention it won't fit with any form of light/laser, so, it's about to become useless to me, or, I'll be cutting it up to make it work for me. I like the idea of the latch vs just making it really tight though...

·
Registered
27,325 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Serpa holsters.
Retention is a big deal to me - I ride motorcycles and require (my own requirement) positive retention.

Blackhawk makes a holster for the SR9, but not specifically for the c (yet).
BLACKHAWK! SERPA CQC w/Matte Finish - BLACKHAWK!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a serpa for my pt24/7 and I like it for open carry on the farm when we are putting a couple boxes through it! but its hard to conceal unless its cold out and your wearing a coat!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
The serpa is a banned design among several notable agencies and instructors, just google "banning the serpa" there are literally too many to list.

Using the trigger finger as a means of releasing a method of retention is idiotic at best and fatal at worst. You are forcing your trigger finger to cover the trigger mechanism as you draw, instead of indexing your trigger finger on the side of the frame above the trigger mechanism.

For those of you that say retention is a must, have you used a high quality kydex holster? The retention is typically forced around the ejection port and has a very positive "click" in and out. I can shake like hell my kydex holsters upside down/sideways/in a paint can mixer (maybe a little exaggeration) and the weapon doesn't move. Yet it still allows for a fast safe draw.

Get over defending your purchase, look at the real life facts and the real life dangers the serpa demands.

·
Registered
27,325 Posts
The serpa is a banned design among several notable agencies and instructors, just google "banning the serpa" there are literally too many to list.

Using the trigger finger as a means of releasing a method of retention is idiotic at best and fatal at worst. You are forcing your trigger finger to cover the trigger mechanism as you draw, instead of indexing your trigger finger on the side of the frame above the trigger mechanism.

For those of you that say retention is a must, have you used a high quality kydex holster? The retention is typically forced around the ejection port and has a very positive "click" in and out. I can shake like hell my kydex holsters upside down/sideways/in a paint can mixer (maybe a little exaggeration) and the weapon doesn't move. Yet it still allows for a fast safe draw.

Get over defending your purchase, look at the real life facts and the real life dangers the serpa demands.
Excuse me, but if you follow the instructions that come with every Serpa holster, your finger cannot fall into the trigger guard. In fact, it inevitably falls into the correct position along the frame. Any problems come from not following directions - i.e. negligence. Negligence and firearms do not mix well.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright no need for a pissin match. At this time the point is moot due to the fact that Blackhawk doesn't make one to fit my gun.

·
Registered
27,325 Posts
Alright no need for a pissin match. At this time the point is moot due to the fact that Blackhawk doesn't make one to fit my gun.
Spoilsport! :D

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I don't like the serpa, many very notable people don't like the serpa. There are several documented cases of nd's using a serpa. If you want to put on blinders to a real - known - issue, that's your choice. I will never ever suggest a serpa as a holster to someone. There are far better options out there for less money that do not demand such a dangerous draw stroke.

From Kyle Defoor

“Whoever chose this piece of shit to be issued to anyone- you’re an inexperienced pistol shooter who has no common sense. Hope you got a decent kickback from Blackhawk.” – as posted by Kyle Defoor –veteran USSOCOM operator and one of the top firearms trainers in America.

What do you think of the SERPA, Kyle? | Military Times GearScout

·
Registered
27,325 Posts
On the other hand, the Marine's have adopted the Serpa.
I'm guessing they did significant testing - and they certainly don't mind training their people in how to use the equipment they're issued.
I'm going to try to see if the test results have been published...

Edit: haven't found the testing results, but have confirmed that there has not been a single report of an ND due to the Serpa from the Corps. (as of mid-March).

One range that put in a hidden camera to record NDs found that all but two (out of 43) were with 1911s. Dangerous design or poor training? You decide.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts