Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a Blackhawk Serpa that will work for a PT-145 Mil-Pro?

·
Registered
209 Posts
The Serpa CQC Matte #410529BK-R and Serpa CQC Carbon Finish #410029BK-R are designed for the Taurus 24/7, but will fit a Taurus 3rd Gen PT-145 Mil-Pro. The length of the holster far exceeds the length of the slide. Both of the above are for right-handers.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Serpa's are a bad mode of weapon carriage and retention. Ask the FLETC and any serious trainer worth their salt. I'll wait for you to google "serpa banned" "serpa failure".

If looking for concealment holsters, try Tommy Theis' design, excellent fit and secure retention. Also hideous holsters, check 'em out.

Anything but a serpa, forces you to use your trigger finger to release retention and makes it hard for a good trigger finger index when immediately out of the holster. Retention button can get gummed up by debris or can just plain break, ask me how I know!

There are so many better alternatives for the same or a little more/little less money.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Was unaware of the SERPA ban until your post, Shokr21. After some more searching, it seems that some chapters of IDPA have banned all holsters that use a finger release for the locking mechanism. I look forward to reading more on this issue as the Blackhawk line of products are very popular.

Of the SERPA line, I have one for the Glock 30, but no others. The overwhelming majority of my holsters are Crossbreed Supertucks (IWB) and custom leather holsters for OWB. I've yet to find an OWB Kydex holster that doesn't stick out like a sore thumb, so the SERPA is only used during the winter when I wear a large heavy parka. It spends the rest of the year in the shoebox with a host of other holsters.

In defense of the the current SERPA holster, I've not had any problems and I do a LOT of quick draw and dbl/triple taps. My trigger finger always rests on the frame of the Glock 30 and not on the trigger or the guard when drawing. I don't insert my finger until the firearm is horizontal.

However, I find this intriguing that the SERPA is being banned by different organizations around the country and this may cause me to rethink using it for the Glock 30 next winter. Bladetech or Safariland may be getting a new customer. I already use the Safariland speedloaders for my revolvers and have had nothing but good times.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a couple SERPA holsters, one for my Judge and one for 1911's. The one for the Judge I like quite a bit, and like 'downrange' I don't have a problem with...finger stays out of the trigger guard during the draw and rests on the frame. However, the one for the 1911 is another story! The release button is recessed a bit, and forces you to "press" deeper sometimes causing your finger to wander down over the trigger during the draw. In theory not a problem if your thumb safety is engaged, but still not good. There is actually a video on YouTube showing a guy having a ND caused by this very thing, and he explains why he also during the draw stroke he disengaged the thumb safety. At first I thought it was just my holster, but I looked at others in stores and found that all of the 1911 SERPA holsters were like this. I have thought about trying to modify mine to raise the button to make it more like my other one...we'll see.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I really like my hideous holster's (now going by zero concealment systems) kydex OWB holsters.

I conceal carry with them everyday with nothing but a light cotton t-shirt as a cover garment. they bring the gun very tight to your body.

I use the stealth series for cc and felony series for gun games. Check 'em out, should fit all glocks of the same caliber (my stealth fits my 17 and 19).

****I'm not in any way financially affiliated with hideous holster/zero concealment at all. I'm a very satisfied customer.

I'm glad you took the time to do some google. I used a serpa for my m9 overseas until some wind/rain/moon dust rendered my pistol uselessly stuck in my holster.

Good luck on your holster search.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info everyone. I will definately do more research!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts