Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out and shot my new M8 today and the exit end of the cylinder has black rings around each hole. I was shooting Magtech 38sp lead bullets through it and what will bring this off of the cylinder. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I used to use a brass bore brush to scrub that part of the cylinder when I had my LCR. Remember to clean around the forcing cone also.

·
Registered
31,905 Posts
It really won't matter a lot what bullets you shoot or which powder they use, you are going to get some powder burn stains on the front of a cylinder. some will be just better or worse than others. I usually just use solvent, a brass brush and a que-tip or rag. I think ammonia is supposed to work well also, and if I'm extra finicky, I may use Flitz, but make sure you clean the chambers well afterwards to remove any wax residue.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I used a little mothers polish and shined up the faces on the cylinder in my stainless revolver. It helps clean up a little easier. I also use a lead away cloth. But only use one on stainless, not on bluing.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Revolvers are generally filthy shooting weapons. But I like 'em so I'll spend the time it takes to clean 'em!
(Any good gun cleaning product and some patience is the key in my opinion.)

·
Super Moderator
17,707 Posts

·
Administrator
39,715 Posts
Vinegar will take that carbon ring off easily. Especially stainless steel. Use a stiff nylon or brass brush. Leadaway cloths, as mentioned above work great with stainless.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have become a real fan of lead away cloths for cylinder burns as well as cleaning the forcing cone. I have even cut them into patches and they work great at getting the lead out of your barrel.
Rust Lead Remover Gun Cleaning Cloth

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Thanks for the info guys -- I appreciate the cleaning tips -- might have to try the lead removal ones in my muzzleloader.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I used a little mothers polish and shined up the faces on the cylinder in my stainless revolver. It helps clean up a little easier. I also use a lead away cloth. But only use one on stainless, not on bluing.
This is my method. But remember, stainless only!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mother's is good (on stainless - not blue); same for Lead-Away cloth. You can also find a lot of suggestions on YouTube. One method that I have employed with some success on my stainless revolver is to use a small section of the dark green scrubby material that's commonly used for scrubbing stainless steel kitchen pots...saturate it with Hoppes solvent...and scrub away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts