Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to visit with Dad tomorrow. He just told me how he was splitting up his firearms. Baby brother is getting the 12 and 16 gauges. Middle brother is getting the Winchester 22 pump and the 32 revolver. I am getting the 357, 30/30 and anold damascus barrelled hammer fired side by side.

He is keeping his SR22 and Nylon 66, says we can fight over those.

I know he is saying his goodbyes. He is very cheerful and pleasant to talk to. It's tearing me apart. I am happy to be able to talk to him like that, so many people do not get to.

·
10,379 Posts
It's rough to go through, but, at least this way he's the one making the decision where his belongings go to and I'm sure you'll remember all the good times when you're getting some trigger time on them (or even just looking at them).

I'd say have fun, but, that's going to be hard to do considering the circumstances so I'll just say, have the best day you can have and enjoy your time with him as much as you can.

·
Registered
24,616 Posts
Enjoy your company with your dad for as long as you can. Your memories cannot be taken from you.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was talking with a co worker today and he gave me a view I hadn't thought of. That Pop is not saying good by but has instead come to peace with mortality. I think he is right and talking about it sure made me feel better.

Thanks to all my TA friends for listening too!.

·
Registered
14,817 Posts
Talk to your dad about every little thing you can think about. Things his folks and grandfolks did. What was his happiest memory, etc.? Everything that you will want to ask him wont happen once he passes.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Talk to your dad about every little thing you can think about. Things his folks and grandfolks did. What was his happiest memory, etc.? Everything that you will want to ask him wont happen once he passes.
+1 to what Peacemaker said, that is a very important point he made. All the best wishes to you and your family.

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Being able to just talk with your dad is a rare and beautiful thing. Unfortunately, whenever my dad & I tried to just talk there were fireworks every time. I suppose that's because I'm a chip of the old block!:D

Reactions: Greg_R

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
After having had cancer in the past and being given very low odds, I have started looking at things differently myself.

While I am in no way impatient about the day I die, I no longer fear or dread it. My biggest concern is for my wife, son and two future babies.

I can talk about it without any anxiety or dread at all.

Believe it or not, that is pretty cool.

I hate to see it happen to others, but at least know it's not something you have to tiptoe around with your dad. Talk casually, talk normally, talk frankly, but most importantly....just talk.

Don't worry about saying the wrong words or avoid certain words. Just talk as casually as you would if this was 20 years ago.

But most importantly, listen when you talk. This will make both of you more comfortable.

Also, ( based on my experience with my own dad) you will learn all kinds of things that you never really knew about each other.

My prayers to you and your dad.

Reactions: Peacemakr40

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Being able to just talk with your dad is a rare and beautiful thing. Unfortunately, whenever my dad & I tried to just talk there were fireworks every time. I suppose that's because I'm a chip of the old block!:D
My dad and I were the same way. Always did a lot together, but constantly arguing and fighting. I think that's what is getting to me the most.

However, now there is no fighting. It's like you are with a new person. I'm sure he thinks the same around me. We are having the relationship now we should have always had.

My wife will tell you that I am just like him, says we both act like drill sergeants!

Reactions: Sekol and scoutfish
1 - 10 of 10 Posts