Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in 2005 or 2006, I bought a Rossi 972 at Academy for $300. I loved that gun, and so did everyone else, especially my dad. He loved it so much that I gave it to him for Father's day the following year. It changed hands between us quite often but I had always been the one who bought it and he the one who owned it. That is, until about 10 years ago when I left for the Navy and he had it ever since. Unfortunately, on December 17th, my Dad passed away, but I was, for the final time, reunited with my 972.

Here is a pic after cleaning it up for about an hour:

Attachments

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
So sorry for your loss.

My condolences to your family.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Definitely not the way to have any item come back to you.

Try to think of the times you shared, and how that revolver served as a bridge between the two of you.

Perhaps, when the time is right, you can think of who you'll be passing the revolver to, and you can pass along stories of your father.

That's how things become heirlooms.

·
Super Moderator
37,571 Posts
I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your Dad. The Rossi will always serve as a reminder of the good times.

·
23,078 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you take time to remember the time you were able to spend with him.

Have you considered engraving his name and years of life onto it? Lots of room on that underlug.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Fathers passing.......................
Hang on to the gun, I have one I gave to my FIL and when he passed it
came back to me, good memories...................

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the support. The gun is a good reminder of him, but I also got his Catalina 22 sailboat that is the last boat that he restored. His health got too bad to ever sail it, but my kids love it, and this summer I will be taking them sailing on it. My dad took me and my brother sailing as kids, and I never quite took to it and have always liked power boats better. Ironically, my wife got me more into sailing very recently and the timing worked out perfect to be in the position to take the kids out. It makes us feel a lot better that the boat will be used to have a great time with the newest generation and get them into sailing, making memories that will last them longer than I'm around.

Ghost, I hadn't thought of engraving it and am a bit undecided on it. I will be spending the next decade or two gauging the interest of my kids in shooting and figuring out who it will go to. Maybe one day, one of them will be a lot less interested in shooting it and more interested in selling it. Of course, that ain't gonna happen until after I'm gone, but one day an old, shiny Rossi hand cannon may fetch a pretty penny.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
I am glad it came home although I wish it was under better circumstances.I would imagine holding it brings tears to your eyes.The memories will hopefully add a smile to your face.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts