Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"..Also known as "Cut Slugs", these effective yet surprisingly simple alternative shotgun munitions were once used in the early 1900's when deer stopping loads were needed but not always available. You can turn a simple bird shot load into a man or game stopping "slug" with a quick turn of a knife."

[video]http://www.gunfuntv.com/videos/ammunition/lost-arts-pt-1----cut-shells.html[/video]

Disclaimer: I do not personally know Barry and Eric, but I love their videos and they appear to know what they are doing, which is good because you could seriously hurt yourself or unintentionally hurt someone else if you DON'T know what you're doing.
That said, this post is for entertainment purposes only and it is NOT recommended that you try any of this.

Administrator
Who'd a thunk it!? Good to know, especially when slugs and buckshot aren't particularly plentiful around here these days.

Super Moderator
I did it when I was a kid, but I DO NOT recommend it. Pressures HAVE to be excessive! You're forcing the whole shell across the forcing cone at the mouth of the chamber. It could bulge or blow your barrel, could do that. It didn't do that to me when I was a young, 16 yr old moron. :rolleyes: I survived. I fired 'em through a 16 gauge full choke 30" barrel.

It's knowledge to file for if you're in a bind and don't have a slug, but don't make a habit of it.

What got me to try it was other 16 year old morons hunting in a field about 200 yards from my huntin' buddy and me. We were pass shooting, clear day, and the birds were 100 yards high. We hear BOOM! Then we hear SWOOOOSH....SPLAT! A bird fell out of the sky. We went and checked it out, blew it's guts out. So, I cut a few shells and tried it and never did it again. Didn't hurt the gun, fortunately. I still have the gun, old Iver Johnson single shot marked "Hercules" on the frame as it was a department store brand back in the day.

Anyway, go ahead and try it if you have suicidal tendencies. I survived my teen years. I'm not going to push my luck.

Reactions: jtg452

Super Moderator
There's another technique, melting wax with the shot charge and pouring it back into the shell. When the wax sets, it binds the shot into a slug. It's safer than cutting shells by far.

Theoretically, a back bored shotgun like the Mossberg 835 Ultimag with a cylinder choke might reduce pressures. Still, I'll use slugs, thanks. Better yet, anything I might need a slug for, my 7 mag, .308, .257 Roberts can do better. :D

Registered
Does any one make a snake or birdshot in 9mm, If so I can't find any.

Registered
Who'd a thunk it!? Good to know, especially when slugs and buckshot aren't particularly plentiful around here these days.
If you run short, just call and I'll fix you up reasonably, but don't wait until the zombies are kicking your door in.

Academy usually has a good supply of both in 12 gauge, 20 gauge are hit and miss. I think the "Coyote Loads would be really good for two legged coyotes, loaded with heavy T shot through a tight choke, good out to 60 yards, .20 caliber, 54 pellets. Still, its hard to get away from nine 00 pellets at closer ranges.

Another name for cut shells is "Ringers" and I prefer the wax filled birdshot for a poor mans slug.

Super Moderator
loaded with heavy T shot through a tight choke,
A "tight" choke for hevishot is Modified. They warn against trying to put it through a full choke, could ring bulge the choke over time and messes up the pattern, anyway.

I shoot modified choke in my 10 gauge goose gun. I shoot steel 3.5" 10 gauge magnum T steel in it. It patterns over 90 percent into a 30" pattern target at 40 yards, best patterns I've ever fired from a shotgun. It brings those big birds down from WAY out there. :D

Registered
If you run short, just call and I'll fix you up reasonably, but don't wait until the zombies are kicking your door in.

Academy usually has a good supply of both in 12 gauge, 20 gauge are hit and miss. I think the "Coyote Loads would be really good for two legged coyotes, loaded with heavy T shot through a tight choke, good out to 60 yards, .20 caliber, 54 pellets. Still, its hard to get away from nine 00 pellets at closer ranges.

Another name for cut shells is "Ringers" and I prefer the wax filled birdshot for a poor mans slug.
I use a hot glue gun instead of wax. Less chance of a fire.
Took some out for testing a couple weeks ago and was pretty impressed with how accurate they were.

Registered
I use a hot glue gun instead of wax. Less chance of a fire.
Took some out for testing a couple weeks ago and was pretty impressed with how accurate they were.
Hot glue down a barrel? You've shot those?

Having never tried it, I'll take your word for it, but something about that idea tells me the second shot could be a bit sticky.

I'll stick with the wax idea; I think the wad would make a fire unlikely. I'm saving some old hulls that won't hold a crimp anymore -- next time I set up to load shot shells I plan to cut off the crimp part of the hull and load a few to try out.

Registered
Absolutely amazing

Registered
nice video

Registered
They say that, "Necessity is the mother of all invention." And I suppose that applies here.

That said though, I would question the risk versus reward here. Yes, they are demonstrating with (presumably) relatively low-pressure load, which should by them some safety margin, but (like NativeTexan) I'd be really concerned that it would be easy to over-pressure the gun.

If I were to speculate wildly on the subject: I would think, if one is really concerned about slug availability, it would be wiser to plan ahead and just buy a 50 Caliber bullet mold and work up your own "emergency" slug load recipe. Theoretically, by melting down the known-safe payload of a shotshell and converting it into a 50 cal lead bullet, you could be reasonably sure the load was safe pressure wise. With careful wadding (probably cotton cloth?) around the slug, I suspect musket-level accuracy would be achievable (which I would guess is about as good as you are likely to get with "cut shells"). Plus, you wouldn't have to worry about part of the cut casing being left in the bore (to cause problems on the next shot) and the load would probably work in pump and semi auto guns (which could be a problem with cut shells).

Registered
Hot glue down a barrel? You've shot those?

Having never tried it, I'll take your word for it, but something about that idea tells me the second shot could be a bit sticky.

I'll stick with the wax idea; I think the wad would make a fire unlikely. I'm saving some old hulls that won't hold a crimp anymore -- next time I set up to load shot shells I plan to cut off the crimp part of the hull and load a few to try out.
The hot glue is all enclosed in the shot cup so it should never touch the inside of the barrel.

Super Moderator
Buck -'n-ball loads could do what a slug will do. Get a 60 caliber ball mold and load 'em up with that Lee load all. . :D

Super Moderator

Registered
Wax works pretty well But I wouldn't rely on it for a whole box of shells. You might be better off getting an old pair of nylons to pour the shot into and repack the round.

Banned
Been shooting them since I was shooting. :cool:

Registered
There is a long thread on this on GBO, graybeard outdoor site. It is in the handloading section under the Ask Veral Smith section. He makes bullet molds and has for years. The Cut shell thread is long and covers all the questions raised here. They do work out of smooth bore guns, are a nasty game load. Do a number on deer and coyote. Are more accurate than a lot of your factory slug loads and hold together at ranges over 40 yards better than the wax shot loads. They do not work in pumps and semi autos. Read the thread on GBO if you are interested and have questions. I like doubles and over under shotguns. Would rather shoot cut shells than factory slugs in them. More accurate at longer ranges and kill game like Thors hammer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts